Re: [DebianIndia] Proposal for a developers meet similar to our meeting in IIIT Blr ~4 years back

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 28, 2010
      2010/5/8 Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry@...>:
      > If you're joining - add your name to wiki page :)

      We have fixed date for the event - 31st July-1st August

      Lets meet on #DebianIndia @ freenode on 4th July 2010 to finalize the
      agenda. Use this URL for joining directly
      http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=debianindia&uio=d4

      Broad plan is to have packaging workshop and a talk/discussion about
      Debian (what makes debian different from other distros, what are the
      strength/weakness, dfsg, social contract ...). Second day will be bug
      squashing party.

      Add more ideas to the wiki and come for the meeting.

      Thanks
      പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
      (as seen on /.)
    • Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 29, 2010
        On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Praveen A <pravi.a@...> wrote:
        > 2010/5/8 Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry@...>:
        >> If you're joining - add your name to wiki page :)
        >
        > We have fixed date for the event - 31st July-1st August

        I won't be around for these dates, as I plan to attend Debconf at NYC
        this year and also have some official work before/after the
        conference.
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 29, 2010
          2010/6/29 Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <rkrishnan.debian@...>:
          >> We have fixed date for the event - 31st July-1st August
          >
          > I won't be around for these dates, as I plan to attend Debconf at NYC
          > this year and also have some official work before/after the
          > conference.

          We can consider mid August if more people finds it suitable.

          പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
          (as seen on /.)
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 3, 2010
            2010/6/29 Praveen A <pravi.a@...>:
            > Lets meet on #DebianIndia @ freenode on 4th July 2010 to finalize the
            > agenda. Use this URL for joining directly
            > http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=debianindia&uio=d4

            Minutes of the meeting is at
            http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia/MiniDebConf2010/IRClog

            > Broad plan is to have packaging workshop and a talk/discussion about
            > Debian (what makes debian different from other distros, what are the
            > strength/weakness, dfsg, social contract ...). Second day will be bug
            > squashing party.
            >
            > Add more ideas to the wiki and come for the meeting.

            Schedule is updated in the wiki
            http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia/MiniDebConf2010

            We are looking for sponsorship to cover travel and food expenses.
            People who can help please reply.

            Thanks
            പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
            (as seen on /.)
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 4, 2010
              2010/6/29 Praveen A <pravi.a@...>:
              > We have fixed date for the event - 31st July-1st August

              We had to move another event to this date, so we are pushing our event
              to a week after ie, 7th and 8th August. We will get some more time for
              publicizing and finding good sponsors.

              Thanks
              പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
              (as seen on /.)
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 13, 2010
                2010/7/4 Praveen A <pravi.a@...>:
                > We had to move another event to this date, so we are pushing our event
                > to a week after ie, 7th and 8th August. We will get some more time for
                > publicizing and finding good sponsors.

                I suggest we do a event promotion talk/demo in engineering colleges
                near Pune (also in Mumbai, Bengaluru and Hyderabad - possibly other
                cities which comes under 2 hour journey). Any volunteers?

                --
                പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
                (as seen on /.)
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 29, 2010
                  2010/7/13 Praveen A <pravi.a@...>:
                  > I suggest we do a event promotion talk/demo in engineering colleges
                  > near Pune (also in Mumbai, Bengaluru and Hyderabad - possibly other
                  > cities which comes under 2 hour journey). Any volunteers?

                  Our even website is getting ready - thanks to debconf team for web
                  hosting and other help.

                  Site is http://mini.debconf.org/india please send your comments and
                  suggestions about the site.

                  Any volunteers to help with the site contents is also welcome!

                  പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
                  (as seen on /.)
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 4, 2010
                    2010/7/29 Praveen A <pravi.a@...>:
                    > Our even website is getting ready - thanks to debconf team for web
                    > hosting and other help.

                    This is the email sent out to people registered for the event.
                    http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20100804.161004.7e242bd3.en.html

                    For any other suggestions, please update the wiki page.

                    Thanks
                    പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 9, 2010
                      We had a rocking event thanks to hard work of a lot of people. I have
                      to mention Abhijit, Vipul, Kartik and Pavithran who were there from
                      the beginning to end in making this event a success.

                      Abhijit's enthusiasm and passion for Free Software has been very
                      critical for making this event possible. He has been instrumental in
                      creating a vibrant Free Software community in COEP.

                      Vipul was our official designer and he made sure we have good posters,
                      tshirts, buttons, stickers ... He is also working hard to bring up an
                      active community in PICT.

                      Kartik has been always there for Debian and he was instrumental in
                      making sure we are a debian proper event. Of course, he advocated me
                      to be a DM :)

                      Pavithran has been our main spokesperson on irc and his interactions
                      with debian community helped us in making sure debian people knew
                      about this event. He was there from Friday to Monday and made sure we
                      have everything in place.

                      There were lot many people who helped in many ways

                      Naveen Kumar has been encouraging me in every step and interactions
                      with him every day helped make this event much more organised. He was
                      insistent on meticulous planning even to the minute details.

                      Kushal Das for having played and excellent role. I guess every one got
                      a clear understanding of upstream and downstream. I found having
                      upstream author, maintainer, mentor and sponsor at the same place was
                      a wonderful way of demonstrating the relationship between different
                      communities in the Free Software world. Back and forth between me and
                      Kushal about copyright was the best part. Understanding about how
                      copyright is fundamental to being part of the Free Software community.

                      Onkar Shinde for helping me with my intro talk and workshop. Being
                      part of Ubuntu and Debian gave a different perspective and it was an
                      important one.

                      Amit Karpe and PLUG team for joining with us for organising this
                      event. It was good to see him contact us and offer help.

                      Sasikumar sir of CDAC for supporting this event and making sure we
                      have a good interaction with BOSS team. Also for coming as a chief
                      guest and delivering and inspiring inaugural address.

                      Ashok Kumar and BOSS team for a healthy dialogue. Hopefully, we can
                      work together more closely after this interaction.

                      Vikram Vincent for his energetic talk, he was talking to students in
                      their own language.

                      Raghavendra for sharing his vision and experience.

                      I'm definitely going to miss many volunteers' names because I have
                      interacted directly with only small number of them and I don't
                      remember most of their names :( Abhijit and Pavithran can help me
                      here. I will attempt some names Swapnil, Avinash, Madhur, Aswin and
                      many more.

                      Plus all the awesome participants, who stayed up till 10 pm on first
                      day, came at 8 am on the second day and stayed till 8pm, that is quiet
                      an effort. Again I will try some names, but I know it is incomplete,
                      Arnav, Vivek, Sana, Priyanka, Sushant, Raghavendra ...

                      Oh yeah Ninad Pundalik was helping with the workshop and his
                      microblogs. Ramakrishna for his great insights. Shirish was keeping
                      the sessions alive with lot of questions.

                      And of course our sponsors Media Magic Technologies and Nexenta
                      systems. Hopefully Linux For You will cover this event in their coming
                      edition.

                      Abhijith, Vipul, Kartik, Pavithran, and others

                      Please add any names I missed.

                      All in all it was not just a Debian event, it was a full fledged Free
                      Software event covering Education, copyright, licensing,
                      communication, upstream - distro relationship, contribution and much
                      more. Looking forward to more action. Hopefully we can organise debian
                      day on August 16 in one of the colleges in Pune. Others please
                      organise events in your places. Add your place at
                      http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDay2010 Asia seems to be blank at the
                      moment. We need to add some places.

                      Our event wiki has some blog posts listed (mine is still pending).

                      http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia/MiniDebConf2010

                      Shirish was asking about slides archives, there is already a
                      collection of slides from previous years
                      http://www.fosscommunity.in/wiki/Debian/Conf We will upload the slides
                      in while (it is in the todo list).

                      Cheers
                      പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
                    • Christian PERRIER
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 9, 2010
                        Quoting Praveen A (pravi.a@...):
                        > We had a rocking event thanks to hard work of a lot of people. I have
                        > to mention Abhijit, Vipul, Kartik and Pavithran who were there from
                        > the beginning to end in making this event a success.

                        This report, or maybe an even more formal one should make its way in
                        debian-news, at the minimum....
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 10, 2010
                          2010/8/10 Praveen A <pravi.a@...>:
> [...]
                          > remember most of their names :( Abhijit and Pavithran can help me
                          > here. I will attempt some names Swapnil, Avinash, Madhur, Aswin and
                          > many more.
                          >
                          > Plus all the awesome participants, who stayed up till 10 pm on first
                          > day, came at 8 am on the second day and stayed till 8pm, that is quiet
                          > an effort. Again I will try some names, but I know it is incomplete,
                          > Arnav, Vivek, Sana, Priyanka, Sushant, Raghavendra ...
                          >
                          > Oh yeah Ninad Pundalik was helping with the workshop and his
                          > microblogs. Ramakrishna for his great insights. Shirish was keeping
                          > the sessions alive with lot of questions.
                          >
                          > And of course our sponsors Media Magic Technologies and Nexenta
                          > systems. Hopefully Linux For You will cover this event in their coming
                          > edition.
                          >
                          > Abhijith, Vipul, Kartik, Pavithran, and others

                          How did I miss Karunakar? It was good to see him even though he was
                          planned to go some other place. His presence helped answering some
                          questions on input methods.

                          Vipul says "Pravin Chavan from CoEP for arranging delivary of
                          flex,buttons,and bunking whole day of college!for placing order of
                          tshirts in desperate times.."

                          --
                          പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 10, 2010
                            2010/8/10 Christian PERRIER <bubulle@...>:
                            > This report, or maybe an even more formal one should make its way in
                            > debian-news, at the minimum....

                            Vikram and Pavithran will work on making this report. We can review it
                            here before we submit it.

                            Thanks
                            പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍