Re: [DebianIndia] Proposal for a developers meet similar to our meeting in IIIT Blr ~4 years back

    Message 1 of 20 , May 7, 2010
      On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Deepak Tripathi wrote:
      > +1

      If you're joining - add your name to wiki page :)

      --
      Cheers,
      Kartik Mistry
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 28, 2010
        2010/5/8 Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry@...>:
        > If you're joining - add your name to wiki page :)

        We have fixed date for the event - 31st July-1st August

        Lets meet on #DebianIndia @ freenode on 4th July 2010 to finalize the
        agenda. Use this URL for joining directly
        http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=debianindia&uio=d4

        Broad plan is to have packaging workshop and a talk/discussion about
        Debian (what makes debian different from other distros, what are the
        strength/weakness, dfsg, social contract ...). Second day will be bug
        squashing party.

        Add more ideas to the wiki and come for the meeting.

        Thanks
        പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
        (as seen on /.)
      • Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 29, 2010
          On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Praveen A <pravi.a@...> wrote:
          > 2010/5/8 Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry@...>:
          >> If you're joining - add your name to wiki page :)
          >
          > We have fixed date for the event - 31st July-1st August

          I won't be around for these dates, as I plan to attend Debconf at NYC
          this year and also have some official work before/after the
          conference.
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 29, 2010
            2010/6/29 Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <rkrishnan.debian@...>:
            >> We have fixed date for the event - 31st July-1st August
            >
            > I won't be around for these dates, as I plan to attend Debconf at NYC
            > this year and also have some official work before/after the
            > conference.

            We can consider mid August if more people finds it suitable.

            പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
            (as seen on /.)
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 3, 2010
              2010/6/29 Praveen A <pravi.a@...>:
              > Lets meet on #DebianIndia @ freenode on 4th July 2010 to finalize the
              > agenda. Use this URL for joining directly
              > http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=debianindia&uio=d4

              Minutes of the meeting is at
              http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia/MiniDebConf2010/IRClog

              > Broad plan is to have packaging workshop and a talk/discussion about
              > Debian (what makes debian different from other distros, what are the
              > strength/weakness, dfsg, social contract ...). Second day will be bug
              > squashing party.
              >
              > Add more ideas to the wiki and come for the meeting.

              Schedule is updated in the wiki
              http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia/MiniDebConf2010

              We are looking for sponsorship to cover travel and food expenses.
              People who can help please reply.

              Thanks
              പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
              (as seen on /.)
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 4, 2010
                2010/6/29 Praveen A <pravi.a@...>:
                > We have fixed date for the event - 31st July-1st August

                We had to move another event to this date, so we are pushing our event
                to a week after ie, 7th and 8th August. We will get some more time for
                publicizing and finding good sponsors.

                Thanks
                പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
                (as seen on /.)
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 13, 2010
                  2010/7/4 Praveen A <pravi.a@...>:
                  > We had to move another event to this date, so we are pushing our event
                  > to a week after ie, 7th and 8th August. We will get some more time for
                  > publicizing and finding good sponsors.

                  I suggest we do a event promotion talk/demo in engineering colleges
                  near Pune (also in Mumbai, Bengaluru and Hyderabad - possibly other
                  cities which comes under 2 hour journey). Any volunteers?

                  --
                  പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
                  (as seen on /.)
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 29, 2010
                    2010/7/13 Praveen A <pravi.a@...>:
                    > I suggest we do a event promotion talk/demo in engineering colleges
                    > near Pune (also in Mumbai, Bengaluru and Hyderabad - possibly other
                    > cities which comes under 2 hour journey). Any volunteers?

                    Our even website is getting ready - thanks to debconf team for web
                    hosting and other help.

                    Site is http://mini.debconf.org/india please send your comments and
                    suggestions about the site.

                    Any volunteers to help with the site contents is also welcome!

                    പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
                    (as seen on /.)
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 4 9:24 AM
                      2010/7/29 Praveen A <pravi.a@...>:
                      > Our even website is getting ready - thanks to debconf team for web
                      > hosting and other help.

                      This is the email sent out to people registered for the event.
                      http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20100804.161004.7e242bd3.en.html

                      For any other suggestions, please update the wiki page.

                      Thanks
                      പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 9 6:34 PM
                        We had a rocking event thanks to hard work of a lot of people. I have
                        to mention Abhijit, Vipul, Kartik and Pavithran who were there from
                        the beginning to end in making this event a success.

                        Abhijit's enthusiasm and passion for Free Software has been very
                        critical for making this event possible. He has been instrumental in
                        creating a vibrant Free Software community in COEP.

                        Vipul was our official designer and he made sure we have good posters,
                        tshirts, buttons, stickers ... He is also working hard to bring up an
                        active community in PICT.

                        Kartik has been always there for Debian and he was instrumental in
                        making sure we are a debian proper event. Of course, he advocated me
                        to be a DM :)

                        Pavithran has been our main spokesperson on irc and his interactions
                        with debian community helped us in making sure debian people knew
                        about this event. He was there from Friday to Monday and made sure we
                        have everything in place.

                        There were lot many people who helped in many ways

                        Naveen Kumar has been encouraging me in every step and interactions
                        with him every day helped make this event much more organised. He was
                        insistent on meticulous planning even to the minute details.

                        Kushal Das for having played and excellent role. I guess every one got
                        a clear understanding of upstream and downstream. I found having
                        upstream author, maintainer, mentor and sponsor at the same place was
                        a wonderful way of demonstrating the relationship between different
                        communities in the Free Software world. Back and forth between me and
                        Kushal about copyright was the best part. Understanding about how
                        copyright is fundamental to being part of the Free Software community.

                        Onkar Shinde for helping me with my intro talk and workshop. Being
                        part of Ubuntu and Debian gave a different perspective and it was an
                        important one.

                        Amit Karpe and PLUG team for joining with us for organising this
                        event. It was good to see him contact us and offer help.

                        Sasikumar sir of CDAC for supporting this event and making sure we
                        have a good interaction with BOSS team. Also for coming as a chief
                        guest and delivering and inspiring inaugural address.

                        Ashok Kumar and BOSS team for a healthy dialogue. Hopefully, we can
                        work together more closely after this interaction.

                        Vikram Vincent for his energetic talk, he was talking to students in
                        their own language.

                        Raghavendra for sharing his vision and experience.

                        I'm definitely going to miss many volunteers' names because I have
                        interacted directly with only small number of them and I don't
                        remember most of their names :( Abhijit and Pavithran can help me
                        here. I will attempt some names Swapnil, Avinash, Madhur, Aswin and
                        many more.

                        Plus all the awesome participants, who stayed up till 10 pm on first
                        day, came at 8 am on the second day and stayed till 8pm, that is quiet
                        an effort. Again I will try some names, but I know it is incomplete,
                        Arnav, Vivek, Sana, Priyanka, Sushant, Raghavendra ...

                        Oh yeah Ninad Pundalik was helping with the workshop and his
                        microblogs. Ramakrishna for his great insights. Shirish was keeping
                        the sessions alive with lot of questions.

                        And of course our sponsors Media Magic Technologies and Nexenta
                        systems. Hopefully Linux For You will cover this event in their coming
                        edition.

                        Abhijith, Vipul, Kartik, Pavithran, and others

                        Please add any names I missed.

                        All in all it was not just a Debian event, it was a full fledged Free
                        Software event covering Education, copyright, licensing,
                        communication, upstream - distro relationship, contribution and much
                        more. Looking forward to more action. Hopefully we can organise debian
                        day on August 16 in one of the colleges in Pune. Others please
                        organise events in your places. Add your place at
                        http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDay2010 Asia seems to be blank at the
                        moment. We need to add some places.

                        Our event wiki has some blog posts listed (mine is still pending).

                        http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia/MiniDebConf2010

                        Shirish was asking about slides archives, there is already a
                        collection of slides from previous years
                        http://www.fosscommunity.in/wiki/Debian/Conf We will upload the slides
                        in while (it is in the todo list).

                        Cheers
                        പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
                      • Christian PERRIER
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 9 7:35 PM
                          Quoting Praveen A (pravi.a@...):
                          > We had a rocking event thanks to hard work of a lot of people. I have
                          > to mention Abhijit, Vipul, Kartik and Pavithran who were there from
                          > the beginning to end in making this event a success.

                          This report, or maybe an even more formal one should make its way in
                          debian-news, at the minimum....
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 10 12:11 AM
                            2010/8/10 Praveen A <pravi.a@...>:
> [...]
                            > remember most of their names :( Abhijit and Pavithran can help me
                            > here. I will attempt some names Swapnil, Avinash, Madhur, Aswin and
                            > many more.
                            >
                            > Plus all the awesome participants, who stayed up till 10 pm on first
                            > day, came at 8 am on the second day and stayed till 8pm, that is quiet
                            > an effort. Again I will try some names, but I know it is incomplete,
                            > Arnav, Vivek, Sana, Priyanka, Sushant, Raghavendra ...
                            >
                            > Oh yeah Ninad Pundalik was helping with the workshop and his
                            > microblogs. Ramakrishna for his great insights. Shirish was keeping
                            > the sessions alive with lot of questions.
                            >
                            > And of course our sponsors Media Magic Technologies and Nexenta
                            > systems. Hopefully Linux For You will cover this event in their coming
                            > edition.
                            >
                            > Abhijith, Vipul, Kartik, Pavithran, and others

                            How did I miss Karunakar? It was good to see him even though he was
                            planned to go some other place. His presence helped answering some
                            questions on input methods.

                            Vipul says "Pravin Chavan from CoEP for arranging delivary of
                            flex,buttons,and bunking whole day of college!for placing order of
                            tshirts in desperate times.."

                            --
                            പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 10 12:13 AM
                              2010/8/10 Christian PERRIER <bubulle@...>:
                              > This report, or maybe an even more formal one should make its way in
                              > debian-news, at the minimum....

                              Vikram and Pavithran will work on making this report. We can review it
                              here before we submit it.

                              Thanks
                              പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍