Re: [FSUG-Bangalore] Request for volunteers to translate debian installer to Kannada

  • Vikram Vincent
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 99 KB
    2009/7/6 renuka prasad <renukaprasadb@...>:
    > On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Praveen A <pravi.a@...> wrote:
    >> There has been some efforts earlier to have Kannada support in the
    >> debian installer, but it has not progressed much. Now with Karnataka
    >> governments decision to use GNU/Linux in schools, the importance of
    >> Kannada translation is even more. As Malayalam co-ordinator I can
    >> share my experiences in the translation process if anyone is
    >> interested or you can contact Christian Perrier directly (he reads
    >> debian-in-workers list - so a reply to the list would suffice).
    >
    > can you share the effort involved , or the time that is required so that
    > those who are interested will be clearly knowing about it ,
    >
    > briefly if some one can explain the nature of work and time that has to be
    > contributed that would be better

    The attached po file needs to be translated and either filed as a bug
    or sent to me so that it can be committed.
    One can find details here http://d-i.debian.org/l10n-stats/
    Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2009
      2009/7/6 Vikram Vincent <vincentvikram@...>:
      > The attached po file needs to be translated and either filed as a bug
      > or sent to me so that it can be committed.
      > One can find details here http://d-i.debian.org/l10n-stats/

      Thanks Vikram for your work, my intention was only to ignite new
      interest with the backdrop the new development of ICT@School project
      and selection of Debian Edu.

      Thanks for everyone responded, please co-ordinate with Vikram on translations.

      Renuka,

      It needs translating sentences of installer interface. With so many
      people interested it would not take much effort individually. Vikram
      can send you po files that needs to be translated, you can use a text
      editor or special tools like poedit, gtranslator, lokalize (formerly
      kbabel) ...

      Christian,

      Can they use the pootle server? I believe Clytie Siddall is using it
      for Vietnamese.

      madhukara,

      This effort involves only translations, but if you are interested in
      helping with coding, there are other important tasks that needs to be
      completed for proper Kannada support in GNU/Linux. For translations
      talk to Vikram, if interested in other projects, respond here.

      Purnateja,

      Vikram will send you the required files. If you are comfortable with
      web interface you may be able to use the debian pootle server (waiting
      for confirmation from Christian). If web interface is possible, co
      ordinate with Vikram so that work is not duplicated.

      Raghunandan,

      Just follow http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/doc/i18n and co ordinate with Vikram.

      - Praveen
      --
      പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
      (as seen on /.)
      Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2010
      • 1 Attachment
      • 100 KB
      Hello all!
      We just completed sublevel5/kn.po.
      However, we need to complete sublevel1/kn.po ASAP.
      Localisations done here will go into Ubuntu as well.
      If you can spare some time to help out I am attaching the sublevel1 po file.
      Thanks,
      Regards,
      --
      Vikram Vincent
      +919448810822
      Message 4 of 4 , Apr 5, 2010
        Quoting Vikram Vincent (vincentvikram@...):
        > Hello all!
        > We just completed sublevel5/kn.po.
        > However, we need to complete sublevel1/kn.po ASAP.

        sublevel 5 is really low priority. This is material from packages that
        are very seldomly used....and nearly always without localization.

        I really really really urge you peopl eto work on sublevels 1 and 2.

        And, *even if not complete* please commi twhat you have already...