Fwd: Debian Installer lenny release candidate 1
- Test. test. test!
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Otavio Salvador <otavio@...>
Date: Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 5:35 AM
Subject: Debian Installer lenny release candidate 1
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Debian Installer lenny release candidate 1
The Debian Installer team is proud to announce the first release
candidate of the installer for Debian GNU/Linux Lenny. Improvements
in this release of the installer
* Improved support for Live-CD installation media (much faster and
more reliable than earlier releases);
* Support for some NAS devices based on Marvell's ARM-compatible
o QNAP TS-109/TS-209 and TS-409;
o HP Media Vault mv2120;
o Buffalo Kurobox Pro;
* Installer images for Netwinder have been added again;
* Installer images for i386 Xen guests
* Support for hardware speech synthesis (speakup) has been added;
* Upgrade of packages early in pkgsel, for example to get
available security updates for base system packages;
* Support for loading firmware from (removable) media during the
* i386/amd64: support for installing to and loading firmware from
* New translations: Welsh, Irish, Northern Sami, Serbian (Amharic
and Marathi were added in beta releases).
Known issues in this release
* i386: for this release, installation from floppy disk is not
* PowerPC: the graphical installer should work on almost all
systems with ATI graphics cards, but probably not others;
* touchpads should work with the graphical installer, but support
may be suboptimal - if you experience problems, you should use
an external mouse instead.
See the errata for details and a full list of known issues.
We do need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer,
so please try it.
Installation CDs and DVDs, other media, errata, and everything else
you'll need are available from the Debian Installer web site.
The Debian Installer team thanks everybody who has contributed to this
Debian Installer Release Manager
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Processed by Mailcrypt 3.5.8+ <http://mailcrypt.sourceforge.net/>
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Kartik Mistry | 0xD1028C8D | IRC: kart_
- Quoting Kartik Mistry (kartik.mistry@...):
> Test. test. test!Well, actually, the "test test test" is better having *before* we
The name "Release candidate" may be msleading, but this installer is
really how the final lenny installer will look like. It could even be
the installer used by lenny....
So, if bugs are discovered during testing, they're likely to go in the
errata file more than being fixed.
There will be an RC2, but that one is more mandatory to get updated
kernel packages enter testing and that's mostly all.
The only issue I'd really like to see fixed is the issue faced for
Dzongkha installs (mentioned in the errata file and reported as
Please also note that, during the RC1 heavy tests last week-end, I
personnally only "tested" Hindi installs....though, as you might
figure out, the only thing I can confirm is that it works to the end
(including a full desktop system install) and displays what is at
least apparently a Devanagari script.....
Something that hasn't been worked on *at all* are the X keymap choices
for all Indic-based scripts.
When one chooses languages from india, what are the expected settings
in xorg.conf wrt keymap?
We would need:
XKbLayout, XkbModel, XKbVariant
(XKbModel is likely to be pc105)
This, for each language...