Fwd: Lenny frozen

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2008
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@...>
      Date: 2008/7/27
      Subject: Lenny frozen
      To: debian-devel-announce@...

      Hi,

      We just edited our hint files, so that all packages now need human
      review in order to go to testing. Hmm, that sounds too cryptic. Let's
      try again:

      Lenny is now frozen! Wheeeeeee!!!

      Thanks are due to everyone who has helped get us to this point.

      For those maintainers whose packages were unprepared for a freeze at
      this moment (the process has, after all, been a long one), you still
      have one last opportunity to get things into shape if there are any
      remaining important problems. Read on.

      Now to explain what, exactly, we mean by "freeze". The freeze
      upload policy of uploading changes in through unstable if possible will
      be continued to apply until the release.

      All package versions that are at this moment already in unstable get
      an automatic freeze exception (except those that are frozen for
      reasons, of course). This means that packages you've uploaded in the
      past week will be able to go to testing (if they aren't hit by
      other problems).

      Now, so as not to have everyone contact us at once about packages we
      know we won't approve, here are the guidelines for changes that will be
      accepted into testing during the freeze:

      - fixes for release critical bugs (i.e., bugs of severity critical,
      grave, and serious) in all packages;

      - changes for release goals, if they are not invasive;

      - fixes for severity: important bugs in packages of priority: optional
      or extra, only when this can be done via unstable;

      - translation updates and

      - documentation fixes.

      - pre-approved fixes.

      If you have such a change and want to update your package in Lenny, the
      rules are as follows:

      - In all cases, when preparing an upload, please do not make changes to
      the package that are not related to fixing the bugs in question.
      Doing so makes it more time consuming for the release team to review
      and approve such requests, delaying the release. It also delays the
      fix for your package, because you will be asked to reupload. Always
      document every change verbosely in the changelog.

      - If in doubt, first contact debian-release.

      - When contacting the release team, please explain why you are
      requesting an update. Bug numbers are a must. Attach the proposed
      (or uploaded patch. The more we can figure out from your first email
      and your changelog (if any), the more quickly we can get your update
      in.

      - If your package needs to be updated for Lenny, and the version in
      unstable doesn't contain extraneous changes (e.g, the version is the
      same between testing and unstable), please upload your fix to
      unstable and contact debian-release@....

      - If the version in unstable already includes significant changes not
      related to the bug to be fixed, contact debian-release about
      uploading to testing-proposed-updates. Changed dependencies, new
      upstream versions, changed library names, and completely rewriting
      the packaging are "significant changes". So are lots of other
      things.

      - If the version in unstable won't reach testing because of new
      library dependencies, contact debian-release about uploading to
      testing-proposed-updates.

      - If you have a package that needs a freeze exception, *please* don't
      forget to contact us. *Don't expect us to find out about it on our
      own*. Putting a comment in the changelog is not contacting the
      release team. :)

      - If your package has been removed recently (i.e. in the last 20 days)
      due to an RC bug, and you have an bugfix-only update uploaded,
      you can contact the release team about letting your package back in.
      Same as above: Do not expect us to find it out ourself. You need to
      push that.

      As always, it is the release team's goal to get as much good software
      into Lenny as possible. However, a freeze does not mean that your
      package is ensured a spot in the release. Please continue to stay on
      top of release-critical bugs in packages that you maintain; RC bugs in
      optional or extra packages that remain unfixed after a week will still
      be grounds for removal from testing, just as they have been up to this
      point.

      Please also note that since many updates (hopefully, the vast majority)
      will still be going in through unstable, major changes in unstable right
      now can disrupt efforts to get RC bugs fixed. We don't ask you not to
      make changes in unstable, but we do ask that you be aware of the effects
      your changes can have -- especially if you maintain a library. Please
      continue to keep disruptive changes out of unstable, and continue making
      use of experimental where appropriate. Note once again that you can
      stage NEW uploads in experimental to avoid disruption in unstable.

      Also, in case you need release team's help to fix RC bugs (e.g. to remove
      an old package), please feel free to contact us.

      For packages which missed the freeze only for reasons outside of the
      control of the maintainers, we might be generous, but you need to contact
      us on your own, and you need to contact us soon.

      What needs to happen before release
      ===================================
      There is a short list of things that need to happen, though.

      Fixing of release critical bugs
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      For the release, we need to get rid of all release critical bugs. Please
      don't hesitate, pick any bug from
      http://bts.turmzimmer.net/details.php?bydist=lenny and fix it. Or send in a
      patch in case there is none yet. And of course, follow our permanent BSP
      policy for your NMUs. Uploading works as you are used to -- just remember to
      send an e-mail to debian-release@... to get your fix through.

      Security support
      Final preparations for security support will be done during the general
      freeze, that is now. We hope being able to announce start of security
      support soon, but obviously, it is a pre-condition for release.

      Cheers,
      Marc

      --
      പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍