[Fwd: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections]

  • Vikram Vincent
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2008
      Some interesting news.

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init
      scripts, elections
      Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:16:28 +0100
      From: Sam Hocevar <leader@...>
      To: debian-devel-announce@...
      CC: Sam Hocevar <leader@...>

      Hello, dear developers. I suppose many of you are currently at
      FOSDEM [1], but unfortunately I could not attend the event this year.
      Here are some news for you anyway!

      FTP assistants
      --------------

      I am very pleased to let you know that yesterday Peter Palfrader
      (weasel) added Kalle Kivimaa (killer) and Thomas Viehmann (tviehmann) to
      the list of FTP assistants. I still hope that more people can be added
      soon to this team, but this is definitely good news.

      Marketing team
      --------------

      At the various conferences I attended I have paid much attention to
      how other distributions and FOSS projects were promoting their work, and
      despite us often having t-shirts, stickers and posters like the others,
      we really miss a few things which would make Debian as appealing as
      other, dynamic projects.

      I would like to set up a Debian Marketing Team, whose work would
      be to organise all the promotional stuff (logos, t-shirt designs,
      wallpapers, etc.) so that the project can officially endorse good
      designs, and to make the ultimate decision on visual stuff such as CD
      covers, splash screens, etc.

      This team would have official DPL delegation, but I hope that it can
      also work with non-Debian-developers, as many packaging teams already
      do, because the non-DDs know better than us how to draw people to
      Debian. So please let me know if you are interested, even if you are not
      a DD, and especially if you are not a programmer!

      I also would like to spend some Debian money on a contest, similar to
      the FreeBSD logo contest [2], to create a friendly mascot for the Debian
      project (in a similar way to the Linux penguin or the GNU gnu) that we
      can use where the logo is not enough. More on this in a few days.

      Development news
      ----------------

      Last month Petter Reinholdtsen (pere) gave some news about his
      project of improving the init system [3]. This is almost as simple as
      adding LSB headers to your init scripts, and work is advancing towards
      this goal, though not as quickly as desirable. If your packages have
      init scripts, or if you wish to help, I urge you to have a look at the
      proposal so that we can have it in Lenny.

      DPL elections
      -------------

      The new DPL term is in almost 2 months, but campaign starts next
      month [4]. I have already stated that I would not run again, and haven't
      changed my mind. As many, many Debian developers are attending FOSDEM, I
      hope you can use some real-life meeting time to discuss the people you
      think would make good DPLs and tell them. Maybe they haven't thought of
      running (or re-running).

      Being DPL does have an impact on your real life. If you are still
      wondering whether to run, or have any personal questions, feel free to
      ask me, I'll gladly share my experience.

      [1] http://www.fosdem.org/2008/schedule/devroom/debian
      [2] http://logo-contest.freebsd.org/result/
      [3] http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DependencyBasedBoot
      [4] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2008/02/msg00050.html