Re: Foss.in/2007: Debian's plan..

  • Christian Perrier
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 25, 2007
      Quoting Sam Hocevar (leader@...):
      > On Thu, Aug 09, 2007, Christian Perrier wrote:
      >
      > > I seriously consider proposing a paper for Foss.in and I was indeed
      > > trying to find a way to fund the travel.
      >
      > Hi Christian, I thought I already answered you but while digging in
      > my inbox I found out I didn't. I'm sorry about that.

      If I'm correct, you participated to the discussion. My initial mail
      was rather formal (which is why I wrote you in English even if I wrote
      privately and know I could have written in French). The point was
      making it a formal request.

      > As you say, Debian funds are used in quite rare cases. But we have
      > funds to be specifically used for travel funding, and are not using
      > them much. So as you are Debian's de facto "i18n guy" I would support
      > the idea of Debian funding your travel. I would just need to know the
      > average prices for a trip from France before I give my final go.

      A very quick search one month ago lead to to "about" EUR 900 for
      a Paris-Bangalore trip. Which is what I mentioned (rounded to 1000) in
      my initial mail yesterday. I have no idea about accomodation expenses
      as I have no idea about the conference's organisation. As long as
      these expenses are the order of magnitude of the "cost of one day" in
      my country, I can handle them on my own.

      > I would happily go with my DPL hat, too. Unfortunately I do not
      > know much about India and my attention is currently directed towards
      > Latin America for various reasons (one being that I am apparently the
      > first DPL to speak some Spanish). However, I will learn more about
      > the status of FLOSS in India and make up my mind. If you have infor-
      > mation that could help me figure out whether my presence would be
      > interesting for Debian and for the people I'd meet, please tell me
      > (I agree that it would be "nice", I just need a little bit more).

      Well, I think that the presence of the current official DPL is
      certainly a way for Debian to mark the value we give to FLOSS projects
      in South Asia. You mentioned Latin America which is currently the best
      example one can give with regards of FLOSS precedence particularly in
      govermental organizations (we all know about Brazil, Venezuela,
      etc.). Some parts of India seem to go the same direction (though with
      different political motivations sometimes). and one could certainly
      define India as one of the "key markets" for free software in the
      future.

      "Showing" Debian is also a way to show that there is an alternative to
      commercial vendors even in the free software market. And the real
      official representative we have for tis is the DPL, of course..:-)

      The point would certainly be talking about what makes Debian specific
      among FLOSS projets (volunteer-based, enhancing the power of the mass
      of contributors vs the limited power of corporate companies).

      These are of course things I also can propose to talk about (and
      certainly can) though this would of course not have the visibility of
      a talk by the Debian Project Leader (capitals everywhere..:-)).
    • Christian Perrier
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 25, 2007
        Quoting Sam Hocevar (leader@...):
        > On Thu, Aug 09, 2007, Christian Perrier wrote:
        >
        > > I seriously consider proposing a paper for Foss.in and I was indeed
        > > trying to find a way to fund the travel.
        >
        > Hi Christian, I thought I already answered you but while digging in
        > my inbox I found out I didn't. I'm sorry about that.
        >
        > As you say, Debian funds are used in quite rare cases. But we have
        > funds to be specifically used for travel funding, and are not using
        > them much. So as you are Debian's de facto "i18n guy" I would support
        > the idea of Debian funding your travel. I would just need to know the
        > average prices for a trip from France before I give my final go.

        Hmm, Sam, he previous rather long answer I sent you was assuming that
        you were indeed responding to another mail I sent you yesterday, with
        a pretty formal request for funding.

        I just discovered that this mail bounced for an unknown reason.

        So, don't be surprised....I will send you that mail again so that you
        have the entire context. Sorry for the mess.
      • Kartik Mistry
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
            On 9/26/07, Christian Perrier <bubulle@...> wrote:
            > > Accommodation will be provided by Conference Organizers. You both
            >
            > Hmmm, good news.

            Thanks.

            > > should propose talk/workshop to main conference as well as Project Day
            > > (We have joint day with Ubuntu!
            > I'm already working on this. The deadline is short..:-)

            Dear Christian and Sam,

            The deadline of CfP is 8th. Please submit for Project Day. I think
            opening talk can be done by Sam and then Christian can carry on i18n
            workshop or Packaging workshop.

            If you have any issue with site, let me know.

            --
            Cheers,
            Kartik Mistry || GPG: 0xD1028C8D || IRC: kart_
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
              On 10/1/07, Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry@...> wrote:
              > Dear Christian and Sam,
              >
              > The deadline of CfP is 8th. Please submit for Project Day. I think
              > opening talk can be done by Sam and then Christian can carry on i18n
              > workshop or Packaging workshop.

              Oh forgot. You can also propose for Main Conference. Main conference's
              focus is more developer oriented stuffs though.

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
                Quoting Kartik Mistry (kartik.mistry@...):

                > Dear Christian and Sam,
                >
                > The deadline of CfP is 8th. Please submit for Project Day. I think
                > opening talk can be done by Sam and then Christian can carry on i18n
                > workshop or Packaging workshop.

                My proposal was sent last week (Wednesday or Thursday).
              • Christian Perrier
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
                  Quoting Kartik Mistry (kartik.mistry@...):

                  > Dear Christian and Sam,
                  >
                  > The deadline of CfP is 8th. Please submit for Project Day. I think
                  > opening talk can be done by Sam and then Christian can carry on i18n
                  > workshop or Packaging workshop.

                  In case Sam cannot attend, I can also propose a general talk about
                  Debian (opening?), assuming Sam agrees that I'm able to do so..:-)

                  Sam, I also need some confirmation about a possible sponsoring from
                  Debian as the FOSS.in organizers leave the possibility to get
                  (limited) funding *in case our organisation cannot fund* so I feel
                  like the moral duty to first try to get funding inside Debian.