Foss.in/2007: Debian's plan..

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 5, 2007
      Hello All,

      As some of you know, Foss.in/2007 is announced, See original message at:

      Please let the group idea about your involvements in Conf.

      My ideas,
      - Key Signing Party (We love it! Remember last time?)
      - Usual BoFs
      - Bug Squashing Party (For those who maintain packages, We can focus
      on Indic packages, See: ttf-indic-fonts: bugs.debian.org/427885 ,
      bugs.debian.org/428023)
      - Debian Talks? I will propose one, for packaging.
      - Any idea about whole day, at Project Day for Debian?

      --
      Cheers,
      Kartik Mistry || GPG: 0xD1028C8D || IRC: kart_
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 7, 2007
        > My ideas,
        > - Key Signing Party (We love it! Remember last time?)
        > - Usual BoFs
        > - Bug Squashing Party (For those who maintain packages, We can focus
        > on Indic packages, See: ttf-indic-fonts: bugs.debian.org/427885 ,
        > bugs.debian.org/428023)
        > - Debian Talks? I will propose one, for packaging.
        > - Any idea about whole day, at Project Day for Debian?

        I still have somewhere in mind the project to come. The only uestion
        is: I would need travel sponsorship and I have no idea how this could
        work for foss.in

        In such case, I could propose a talk about Debian l10n, of course
        (focusing on India/South Asia l10n topics), animate a BSP, definitely
        meet tons of people and get them sick of my constant blahblah....as
        well as sign tons of keys of course.

        So, if anyone has a clue about finding a way to bring myself there,
        I'd be very happy.
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 7, 2007
          On 8/8/07, Christian Perrier <bubulle@...> wrote:
          > So, if anyone has a clue about finding a way to bring myself there,
          > I'd be very happy.

          Hi Christian,

          Please submit your talk when CFP is out. I will keep you updated on
          that. Please ask other DDs too if they want to come down here. I think
          aba or someone was interested last time but couldn't due to Etch
          release work.

          Thanks :)
          Kartik Mistry || GPG: 0xD1028C8D || IRC: kart_
          kartikmistry.org/blog || kartikm.wordpress.com
        • Prasad Ramamurthy Kadambi
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 8, 2007
            Hi Christian,

            On 8/8/07, Kartik Mistry < kartik.mistry@...> wrote:
            On 8/8/07, Christian Perrier <bubulle@...> wrote:
            > So, if anyone has a clue about finding a way to bring myself there,
            > I'd be very happy.

            Hi Christian,

            Please submit your talk when CFP is out. I will keep you updated on
            that. Please ask other DDs too if they want to come down here. I think
            aba or someone was interested last time but couldn't due to Etch
            release work.

            We would be *very* happy indeed to see you during FOSS.In. Please let us know if other DD's are interested too. I would keep you posted regarding the event schedules.

            Best Regards

            Prasad Kadambi

          • Jaldhar H. Vyas
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 8, 2007
              On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Christian Perrier wrote:

              > I still have somewhere in mind the project to come. The only uestion
              > is: I would need travel sponsorship and I have no idea how this could
              > work for foss.in

              What does Sam think about sponsoring your travel? (Accomodation and
              meals are provided by the organizers.) Branden authorized me to attend in
              2005 so there is a precedent. And it would be a worthwhile use of project
              funds IMO.

              (Having had the opportunity once, modesty prevents me from asking again
              but if the DPL lets me go too, I won't say no :-)

              --
              Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@...>
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 8, 2007
                On 8/9/07, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@...> wrote:
                > What does Sam think about sponsoring your travel? (Accomodation and
                > meals are provided by the organizers.) Branden authorized me to attend in
                > 2005 so there is a precedent. And it would be a worthwhile use of project
                > funds IMO.
                >
                > (Having had the opportunity once, modesty prevents me from asking again
                > but if the DPL lets me go too, I won't say no :-)

                We will love to see you both. Is it possible that DPL can come here?
                Just my thought. Don't know if it possible.

                Jaldhar/Christian, can you ask him? I think Bdale (DPL at that time)
                came in 2004 to attend Linux Bangalore (Former name of Foss.in).

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 8, 2007
                  > What does Sam think about sponsoring your travel? (Accomodation and

                  I didn't ask him...

                  > meals are provided by the organizers.) Branden authorized me to attend in
                  > 2005 so there is a precedent. And it would be a worthwhile use of project
                  > funds IMO.

                  Yes, probably but there are a lot of such opportunities that too much
                  precedents have to be carefully limited, which I understand.

                  I may talk to sam, however, about this project. Pushing for a mider
                  use of Debian in India and South Asia is certainly something that's
                  worth it for the project. We all see the huge efforts made by the big
                  FLOSS lobbies (RedHat, Canonical....) to secure the Indian "market"
                  for themselves that we really have to make big efforts to keep the
                  idea in place that local Linux initiatives can be based on a
                  completely volunteer and free project.

                  I indeed have in mind to propose to the people from Bhutan's DIT
                  (those who build DzongkhaLinux) and people from Nepalinux to try
                  attending Foss.in as well. That could be something interesting to base
                  a Debian Day on, including of course all Debian-based initiatives in India.

                  I'll probably talk about all this in details when back from
                  holidays. I'll soon leave for two weeks without knowing if I'll have
                  net connectivity or not (contrary to many Debian friends, I use any
                  net connectivity opportunity even when on holidays..:-)).

                  That will leave me time for thinking about what kind of paper I could
                  propose to Foss.in (certainly around localization but has to be
                  general enough to also show the great care taken in Debian to
                  encourage localization work and building of local derived distros).
                • Christian Perrier
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 8, 2007
                    Quoting Kartik Mistry (kartik.mistry@...):

                    (in two lists related to "Debian in India" and "Debian developers and
                    contributors in India")

                    > On 8/9/07, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@...> wrote:
                    > > What does Sam think about sponsoring your travel? (Accomodation and
                    > > meals are provided by the organizers.) Branden authorized me to attend in
                    > > 2005 so there is a precedent. And it would be a worthwhile use of project
                    > > funds IMO.
                    > >
                    > > (Having had the opportunity once, modesty prevents me from asking again
                    > > but if the DPL lets me go too, I won't say no :-)
                    >
                    > We will love to see you both. Is it possible that DPL can come here?
                    > Just my thought. Don't know if it possible.
                    >
                    > Jaldhar/Christian, can you ask him? I think Bdale (DPL at that time)
                    > came in 2004 to attend Linux Bangalore (Former name of Foss.in).

                    The best is certainly asking him, after all.

                    Sam (nd Bdale), all this is about plans to participate to Foss.in, by
                    far the largest FLOSS event in India, at the beginning of December, in
                    Bangalore.

                    I personnally mentioned in the the two CC'ed lists, that it's quite a
                    long time since I'm considering to find a way to attend that event. I
                    involved myself quite a bit to promote the use and development of
                    Debian in the entire South Asia region, thus developing an early small
                    "network" of informal connections (and more formal ones, like the one
                    in Bhutan).

                    I seriously consider proposing a paper for Foss.in and I was indeed
                    trying to find a way to fund the travel.

                    Kartik suggested that you, Sam, could also maybe attend the event
                    (also with the problem of funding the travel) and the best is probably
                    talking with you about this. Certainly, having the DPL at Foss.in
                    would be a great achievement. Really, I can testimony it, this is the
                    most important FLOSS event in India.

                    Kartik, you mentioned Bdale attending in 2004. He was not the DPL at
                    that time and I'm pretty sure that such travel was funded through
                    Bdale's professionnal travels (somethign neither Sam or I can do) and
                    was part of Bdale's regular "HP/Linux" evangelization.

                    This, indeed, opens a possible alternate way of funding such
                    participation and, as of now, the 3 possibilities I see are:

                    - funding by organizers (dunno if that's possible)
                    - funding by Debian (not exactly the usual way-->most often, the
                    participation of Debian "representatives" is better funded by external
                    means and Debian funds are used in quite rare cases, afaik
                    - funding by an external sponsor

                    I would be interested to hear about your respective comments, people
                    (please note that both lists may have a closed policy when non
                    subscribers post, unfortunately, which would, also unfortunately, turn
                    such discussion into a private one)
                  • Christian Perrier
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 25, 2007
                      Quoting Sam Hocevar (leader@...):
                      > On Thu, Aug 09, 2007, Christian Perrier wrote:
                      >
                      > > I seriously consider proposing a paper for Foss.in and I was indeed
                      > > trying to find a way to fund the travel.
                      >
                      > Hi Christian, I thought I already answered you but while digging in
                      > my inbox I found out I didn't. I'm sorry about that.

                      If I'm correct, you participated to the discussion. My initial mail
                      was rather formal (which is why I wrote you in English even if I wrote
                      privately and know I could have written in French). The point was
                      making it a formal request.

                      > As you say, Debian funds are used in quite rare cases. But we have
                      > funds to be specifically used for travel funding, and are not using
                      > them much. So as you are Debian's de facto "i18n guy" I would support
                      > the idea of Debian funding your travel. I would just need to know the
                      > average prices for a trip from France before I give my final go.

                      A very quick search one month ago lead to to "about" EUR 900 for
                      a Paris-Bangalore trip. Which is what I mentioned (rounded to 1000) in
                      my initial mail yesterday. I have no idea about accomodation expenses
                      as I have no idea about the conference's organisation. As long as
                      these expenses are the order of magnitude of the "cost of one day" in
                      my country, I can handle them on my own.

                      > I would happily go with my DPL hat, too. Unfortunately I do not
                      > know much about India and my attention is currently directed towards
                      > Latin America for various reasons (one being that I am apparently the
                      > first DPL to speak some Spanish). However, I will learn more about
                      > the status of FLOSS in India and make up my mind. If you have infor-
                      > mation that could help me figure out whether my presence would be
                      > interesting for Debian and for the people I'd meet, please tell me
                      > (I agree that it would be "nice", I just need a little bit more).

                      Well, I think that the presence of the current official DPL is
                      certainly a way for Debian to mark the value we give to FLOSS projects
                      in South Asia. You mentioned Latin America which is currently the best
                      example one can give with regards of FLOSS precedence particularly in
                      govermental organizations (we all know about Brazil, Venezuela,
                      etc.). Some parts of India seem to go the same direction (though with
                      different political motivations sometimes). and one could certainly
                      define India as one of the "key markets" for free software in the
                      future.

                      "Showing" Debian is also a way to show that there is an alternative to
                      commercial vendors even in the free software market. And the real
                      official representative we have for tis is the DPL, of course..:-)

                      The point would certainly be talking about what makes Debian specific
                      among FLOSS projets (volunteer-based, enhancing the power of the mass
                      of contributors vs the limited power of corporate companies).

                      These are of course things I also can propose to talk about (and
                      certainly can) though this would of course not have the visibility of
                      a talk by the Debian Project Leader (capitals everywhere..:-)).
                    • Christian Perrier
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 25, 2007
                        Quoting Sam Hocevar (leader@...):
                        > On Thu, Aug 09, 2007, Christian Perrier wrote:
                        >
                        > > I seriously consider proposing a paper for Foss.in and I was indeed
                        > > trying to find a way to fund the travel.
                        >
                        > Hi Christian, I thought I already answered you but while digging in
                        > my inbox I found out I didn't. I'm sorry about that.
                        >
                        > As you say, Debian funds are used in quite rare cases. But we have
                        > funds to be specifically used for travel funding, and are not using
                        > them much. So as you are Debian's de facto "i18n guy" I would support
                        > the idea of Debian funding your travel. I would just need to know the
                        > average prices for a trip from France before I give my final go.

                        Hmm, Sam, he previous rather long answer I sent you was assuming that
                        you were indeed responding to another mail I sent you yesterday, with
                        a pretty formal request for funding.

                        I just discovered that this mail bounced for an unknown reason.

                        So, don't be surprised....I will send you that mail again so that you
                        have the entire context. Sorry for the mess.
                      • Kartik Mistry
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
                            On 9/26/07, Christian Perrier <bubulle@...> wrote:
                            > > Accommodation will be provided by Conference Organizers. You both
                            >
                            > Hmmm, good news.

                            Thanks.

                            > > should propose talk/workshop to main conference as well as Project Day
                            > > (We have joint day with Ubuntu!
                            > I'm already working on this. The deadline is short..:-)

                            Dear Christian and Sam,

                            The deadline of CfP is 8th. Please submit for Project Day. I think
                            opening talk can be done by Sam and then Christian can carry on i18n
                            workshop or Packaging workshop.

                            If you have any issue with site, let me know.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
                              On 10/1/07, Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry@...> wrote:
                              > Dear Christian and Sam,
                              >
                              > The deadline of CfP is 8th. Please submit for Project Day. I think
                              > opening talk can be done by Sam and then Christian can carry on i18n
                              > workshop or Packaging workshop.

                              Oh forgot. You can also propose for Main Conference. Main conference's
                              focus is more developer oriented stuffs though.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
                                Quoting Kartik Mistry (kartik.mistry@...):

                                > Dear Christian and Sam,
                                >
                                > The deadline of CfP is 8th. Please submit for Project Day. I think
                                > opening talk can be done by Sam and then Christian can carry on i18n
                                > workshop or Packaging workshop.

                                My proposal was sent last week (Wednesday or Thursday).
                              • Christian Perrier
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
                                  Quoting Kartik Mistry (kartik.mistry@...):

                                  > Dear Christian and Sam,
                                  >
                                  > The deadline of CfP is 8th. Please submit for Project Day. I think
                                  > opening talk can be done by Sam and then Christian can carry on i18n
                                  > workshop or Packaging workshop.

                                  In case Sam cannot attend, I can also propose a general talk about
                                  Debian (opening?), assuming Sam agrees that I'm able to do so..:-)

                                  Sam, I also need some confirmation about a possible sponsoring from
                                  Debian as the FOSS.in organizers leave the possibility to get
                                  (limited) funding *in case our organisation cannot fund* so I feel
                                  like the moral duty to first try to get funding inside Debian.