Fwd: Debian Desktop Etch+1 - the long road to binoculars.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2007
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Gustavo Franco <stratus@...>
      Date: २००७ जून २८ ०१:२५
      Subject: Debian Desktop Etch+1 - the long road to binoculars.
      To: debian-desktop@...

      Hi list,

      I would like to show you some of my plans for our next Debian Desktop
      release, some stuff that others people are doing and ask for some
      suggestions, help and feedback in general. Before that, some history
      for those jumping late on the bandwagon.

      Debian Desktop Sarge
      tasks (kde, gnome) to be used into d-i and on a running system. It
      wasn't possible install kde desktop task without explicit preseeding
      though. There was no common artwork.

      Debian Desktop Sarge+1 development process
      There was an alioth two-person group, lots of wiki articles and the
      same /devel/debian-desktop, three more desktop environment groups
      (pkg-kde, pkg-gnome and pkg-xfce) and no common (art)work between
      them.

      Debian Desktop Etch
      -------------------------
      We have common artwork on the alioth group cited above,
      /devel/debian-desktop was updated, a lot of wiki articles reviewed. We
      released with GNOME as default (as in sarge), but with two alternative
      images to install the other 2 desktop environments involved (KDE and
      Xfce). There's also multimedia support on the browser for GNOME (totem
      using xine as backend). A lot of time was invested to make Debian
      Desktop Etch the best as possible and working out of the box with 100%
      free software.

      Well, a lot of people don't realize that yet, even some of the most
      active Debian contributors. The first thing I ask you is to spread the
      word that Debian Etch is a big jump in terms of usability out the box
      and everything else. I'm of course biased, but that's also the
      feedback we're receiving from the press.

      I was really amazed watching tons of people using Debian on their
      laptops during debconf 7 with the *default artwork*. There's an
      interesting side effect here for us that I'll outline below.

      Debian Desktop Etch+1
      ----------------------------
      * Common artwork

      It was just to test the waters, I thought it would be easier keep the
      discussion around desktop-base source package and did my best to put
      people from pkg-kde, pkg-gnome and pkg-xfce cooperating. I remember
      the online meeting when people started diverting the discussion, I'm
      glad we managed to put things back on track.

      With Debian Desktop Etch+1, I would like to see the common artwork
      extended to g-i (as outlined by Frans Pop in another thread) and
      splash screen (details below). I would prefer just a minor update in
      terms of login screens and wallpapers, keep the Etch stuff is a must
      have as it's document how the Lenny user will be able to revert to
      previous artwork.

      * Splash screen

      I've been working behind the scenes since Etch development cycle to
      enable a splash screen solution (usplash or splashy) by default just
      for Debian Desktop! It would be possible preseeding grub configuration
      and it wasn't done due to the splash screen solutions status on Etch
      and lack of preseeding support for grub. There's also the grub2 issue.
      The idea is release with grub2. In other words if you want to help
      with this goal, please give some love to: grub2, usplash and splashy.

      * Tasks

      It's being harder than I though add/edit/remove stuff from the tasks
      as it was during Etch development cycle. Anyway, we need to review the
      list of packages and more than that work to make sure that these
      packages and its dependencies are in good shape into testing.

      If you would like to help with this, start running `tasksel
      --task-packages gnome-desktop` - also desktop, kde-desktop and
      xfce-desktop. I would be more happy with removals of packages and
      proof that the feature can be achieved using something else.

      We used to have http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?task=<taskname>
      where I keep an eye on the tasks health in terms of version and bugs.
      I'll ask the ddpo guys what's going on with that.

      I'm sure that kde and xfce desktop tasks needs more love than
      gnome-desktop and desktop, simple because I'm using more the later
      two. I heard Corsac while writing the xfce desktop content, but I'm
      sure it will be outdated during Lenny development cycle.

      * Flash and Java support

      It would be amazing if we could add stable enough: gnash or swfdec
      (flash) and basically gcjwebplugin (java) or maybe something that will
      come out from openjdk.

      I've already seen people watching movie trailers from Apple website
      (as I do) using Debian Desktop Etch without considering what was under
      the hood to make that possible. We picked totem mozilla (gecko) based
      browsers plugin with xine backend (packages: totem-mozilla and
      totem-xine). Avoid gstreamer usage was intentional. I would be glad to
      review such a decision, but with proof that we can support more
      formats out of the box (about:plugins is your friend).

      Any help testing, reporting bugs and sending patches to the upstream
      in the projects cited above is appreciated. Tell us here about your
      progress.

      * Upgrade manager (update-manager)

      I've discussed with kov some of the stuff that can be done to make
      sure Debian Desktop Etch upgrades to Lenny will be easier than
      Sarge->Etch.

      * Installable Live CDs

      The title says it all. Daniel (panthera), Otavio Salvador and maybe
      others worked on this during debconf7. First we will have installable
      live cds 'as is' and hopefully sooner than later live cds able to call
      the installer letting you install anything you want (eg: a dns server
      from gnome using g-i).

      Online meeting
      ------------------

      I need to sort out some IRL issues but after that I'll make a call for
      a new online meeting. I hope to see you all there.

      Thank you very much for those who helped Debian Etch be a universal
      desktop! ;) Oh, stop by http://get.debian.net/ . More to come soon.

      regards,
      -- stratus
      http://stratusandtheswirl.blogspot.com