Re: [DebianIndia] Problems with Kannada fonts

  • Mahesh T. Pai
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2007
      Kumar Appaiah said on Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 04:49:31PM +0530,:

      > See Konqueror:
      > http://www.ee.iitm.ac.in/~ee03b042/konquerer.jpg
      >
      > and Fierfox:
      > http://www.ee.iitm.ac.in/~ee03b042/firefox.jpg

      This is caused, I believe, due to firefox compiled wihout pango
      support. Which version of firefox is this?

      I think your friend should try getting a later build of firefox - and
      remember that earlier version of Debian did not build mozilla/firefox
      with pango support.

      Here is something your friend can do - if he is adventurous and has
      a real fat connection to the network - as root, edit
      /etc/apt/sources.list, and changes references to `etch' to
      `testing'. Next, run ``apt-get update'' and after that, ``apt-get
      install firefox''. If he is not sure what to do next, he should change
      back the references to ``testing'' back to `etch'.

      HTH

      --
      Mahesh T. Pai <<>> http://paivakil.blogspot.com/
      Encryption: A powerful algorithmic encoding
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2007
        Quoting Kumar Appaiah (kumar.appaiah@...):
        > On 31/03/07, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
        > > I couldn't find the problem out, as my languages (Tamil, Hindi and
        > > Bengali) seem to be displayed quite nice in Iceweasel. Where could the
        > > problem be? Could you please file a bug report if necessary, or point
        > > out which package to file the report against?
        >
        > Well, my friend seems to have found a workaround. He says:
        >
        > apparently some incompatability issues with freefont package...so I

        Hmm, yet another problem with ttf-freefont, which I'm mainainer
        of..:-(

        I'm afraid that this font is pretty bad, indeed. moreover, the
        upstream is completely inactive so no much improvements to expect for
        that font.

        Much more hope for the DejaVu font as an all-purpose font (ttf-dejavu
        on Debian). I think that, slowly, it should integrate glyphs from
        Indic scripts...especially if some people with good skills in
        designing fonts join the DejaVu maintenance team.