Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Topic 4: Debconf on Aug 20: Agenda & Plan

Expand Messages
  • Sundara Nagarajan
    Hi: I thought I would list down actions & action owners for the upcoming Debconf on August 20. If your name appears against an action, and you have a problem
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 9 6:25 PM
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi:

      I thought I would list down actions & action owners for the upcoming
      Debconf on August 20. If your name appears against an action, and
      you have a problem executing it or need help, please contact me
      immediately. Also, I would appreciate you confirming your action,
      if you agree. Most important: if you name does not appear in any
      action, and you would like to join that team, you are welcome to
      join. Please volunteer. As I don't know each of you personally, I
      have taken the liberty to assign tasks to those people whom I know
      personally. As simple as that. So, please voluteer, and we need
      your help & support.

      I thought this process would be simple to manage and get started.

      Prof.Sadagopan has kindly agreed to inaugurate the conference. He
      has also promised the logistics & organization help on the day of
      the conference at IIIT-B. Prof.Srinathh shall lead/guide all
      actions at IIIT-B for the conference. The venue for the conference
      will be one of the classrooms in IIIT-B, electronic city.

      I am waiting for Sanket Patil & Siddhartha Reddy (IIIT-B) to
      complete the hosting of the conference website, with a simple
      registration process. Sriharsha Shetty & me (HP) shall support them
      with content as required. In case we get further delayed in hosting
      the website, we would make the announcement with an e-mail id to
      confirm participation. The registration shall be free, but is a
      must. This will help us plan for the logistics needed.

      Ramki, Ganesan (the debian developers), Sriharsha and Chirag
      Kantharia shall start working offline in gowing through the
      Debian "wish list" (or pending work to do) that can potentially be
      taken up by interested potential Debian developers in Bangalore.
      This short list shall be discussed during the conference and
      volunteers & mentors assigned. I would consider this to be one of
      the key activities during the conference, and allocating 60 mins.
      for this session.

      Ramki & Ganesan: I request both of you to plan about 30 minutes
      each (20 mins talk; 10 mins QA) talking about your experience as the
      Debian developer, what challenges you face, and how did you succeed
      in becoming a recognized developer. Also, please speak about Debian
      in a broad context, what you are comfortable speaking about. I am
      planning about 30 mins. each for you in the conference. I suggest
      that you speak to each other and plan "non overlapping" content. It
      would be good if (between you two) the Debian developer process is
      covered well for the benefit of all. If time becomes a challenge, I
      am willing to increase the time.

      I am looking for a volunteer (harsha suggested this idea, but I
      don't know if I could "overload" him with the action) who can
      talk/demonstrate about "installation experience" with Debian.
      Potentially some of the IIIT-B students could help harsha on this.

      I am providing below a rough agenda for the day. The conference is
      planned 3:00pm-6:15pm with some time for high-tea and informal
      networking in the middle. For most part, the agenda shall be
      technical, and developer-focused. No commercial activities shall be
      part of the conference. No rich sponsors; so, most probably no
      goodies like t-shirts or pens or toys or bags! This is conceived as
      a techie conference. By the same time next year, if the number of
      recognized contributors to Debian increase in Bangalore (which is
      the primary goal of this conference) I shall do my best effort to
      get them recognized with goodies! Also, we can plan a larger
      conference as a result--proportional to the growth of developers
      from Bangalore (or India.) Hope you all agree to this approach.
      Let me know otherwise.

      Rough agenda:

      2:30pm-3:00pm : Registration
      3:00pm-3:15pm : Welcome & goals (S. Nagarajan)
      3:15pm-3:30pm : Inauguration (Prof.Sadagopan)
      3:30pm-4:00pm : Ganesan (Developer corner)
      4:00pm-4:30pm : Ramki (Developer corner)
      4:30pm-5:00pm : Installation & other demos; informal networking over
      high-tea
      5:00pm-5:30pm : Open time (for volunteers to come up with their own
      topics to discuss with the participants--volunteering early helps
      planning the time.)
      5:30pm-6:00pm : Debian developer action planning (volunteers &
      mentors) Harsha to coordinate
      6:00pm-6:15pm : Wrap-up & action planning (Prof.Srinath, IIIT-B)
      6:15pm-6:30pm : Expression of gratitude

      Finally, I would like to hear your views. This is only a framework
      to start our discussions. Let us finalize the agenda ASAP.
    • Sriharsha Setty
      ... It would have been good if the debconf website was up. Unfortunately, it is down for a few days now. But anyways, we can certianly have a a small website
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 10 10:31 PM
      • 0 Attachment
        > I am waiting for Sanket Patil & Siddhartha Reddy (IIIT-B) to
        > complete the hosting of the conference website, with a simple
        > registration process. Sriharsha Shetty & me (HP) shall support them
        > with content as required. In case we get further delayed in hosting
        > the website, we would make the announcement with an e-mail id to
        > confirm participation. The registration shall be free, but is a
        > must. This will help us plan for the logistics needed.

        It would have been good if the debconf website was up. Unfortunately, it
        is down for a few days now. But anyways, we can certianly have a a small
        website with minimal content. I suggest the following:

        o Main page having the announcement
        o Goals/Objectives for the future
        o Conference Agenda
        o Registration
        o Map/Route
        o Contact

        While many of these topics can be fit into one page, I think it should be
        how the designers want it to be.
        Our main objective would surely be aiming at more debian users in India.
        Also, aiming to have more DD's from India in the future. :-)



        > Ramki, Ganesan (the debian developers), Sriharsha and Chirag
        > Kantharia shall start working offline in gowing through the
        > Debian "wish list" (or pending work to do) that can potentially be
        > taken up by interested potential Debian developers in Bangalore.
        > This short list shall be discussed during the conference and
        > volunteers & mentors assigned. I would consider this to be one of
        > the key activities during the conference, and allocating 60 mins.
        > for this session.
        >
        >
        > I am looking for a volunteer (harsha suggested this idea, but I
        > don't know if I could "overload" him with the action) who can
        > talk/demonstrate about "installation experience" with Debian.
        > Potentially some of the IIIT-B students could help harsha on this.

        I have a lot of people who are ready to do this with me. So, I guess we
        don't have issues with this. :-) We will need a few machines, though.


        > part of the conference. No rich sponsors; so, most probably no
        > goodies like t-shirts or pens or toys or bags! This is conceived as
        > a techie conference. By the same time next year, if the number of

        I thought we can distribute a printout of the debian reference card (As
        we will probably have a lot of new student users). It won't cost much
        too. :)

        Thanks,
        -harsha
      • Sundara Nagarajan
        ... guess we ... SN: I suggest that the Sanket Patil could help Harsha with the machine availability for this. Potentially the Advanced OS course students
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 11 7:49 PM
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In DebianIndia@yahoogroups.com, "Sriharsha Setty" <harsha@h...>
          wrote:
          > > I am looking for a volunteer (harsha suggested this idea, but I
          > > don't know if I could "overload" him with the action) who can
          > > talk/demonstrate about "installation experience" with Debian.
          > > Potentially some of the IIIT-B students could help harsha on this.
          >
          > I have a lot of people who are ready to do this with me. So, I
          guess we
          > don't have issues with this. :-) We will need a few machines, though.

          SN: I suggest that the Sanket Patil could help Harsha with the
          machine availability for this. Potentially the Advanced OS course
          students can work with Harsha & Sanket to do these tasks.

          Sanket: May I request you to plan this action with Harsha and get the
          interested students involved?
        • Sanket Patil
          ... @SN: Surely, I can ask some of the Advanced OS students to get their machines. I will also ask the TAs to get a few Debian CDs. @Harsha: I ll talk to some
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 11 10:09 PM
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In DebianIndia@yahoogroups.com, "Sundara Nagarajan"
            <snagrajn@y...> wrote:
            > --- In DebianIndia@yahoogroups.com, "Sriharsha Setty" <harsha@h...>
            > wrote:
            > > > I am looking for a volunteer (harsha suggested this idea, but I
            > > > don't know if I could "overload" him with the action) who can
            > > > talk/demonstrate about "installation experience" with Debian.
            > > > Potentially some of the IIIT-B students could help harsha on this.
            > >
            > > I have a lot of people who are ready to do this with me. So, I
            > guess we
            > > don't have issues with this. :-) We will need a few machines, though.
            >
            > SN: I suggest that the Sanket Patil could help Harsha with the
            > machine availability for this. Potentially the Advanced OS course
            > students can work with Harsha & Sanket to do these tasks.
            >
            > Sanket: May I request you to plan this action with Harsha and get the
            > interested students involved?


            @SN: Surely, I can ask some of the Advanced OS students to get their
            machines. I will also ask the TAs to get a few Debian CDs.

            @Harsha: I'll talk to some of the students tomorrow and ask them to
            help us with machines and CDs (tomorrow, because I *have* to send a
            paper today). So, probably you can give me a call some time tomorrow.

            Regards,
            Sanket

            PS:I have not recieved most of the mails that get posted here. Guess I
            need to use some other mail id?
          • Sriharsha Setty
            ... Actually, the idea of the install-fest is that the users get their PC s to the conference and get help to install Debian. But this time if we cannot work
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 11 10:28 PM
            • 0 Attachment
              > @SN: Surely, I can ask some of the Advanced OS students to get their
              > machines. I will also ask the TAs to get a few Debian CDs.
              >
              > @Harsha: I'll talk to some of the students tomorrow and ask them to
              > help us with machines and CDs (tomorrow, because I *have* to send a
              > paper today). So, probably you can give me a call some time tomorrow.

              Actually, the idea of the install-fest is that the users get their PC's to
              the conference and get help to install Debian. But this time if we cannot
              work it this way, we can have few machines with different hardware( dunno
              if this is asking too much) from IIIT-B. We then, can have people
              installing it themselves and getting a first hand install experience.

              -harsha

              PS: Will we have Internet connectivity too?
            • Chirag Kantharia
              ... ... It might be a good idea, to set up a local debian mirror, to show (show off?), the usefulness of apt. -- Chirag Kantharia,
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 11 10:40 PM
              • 0 Attachment
                On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 08:28:39AM +0300, Sriharsha Setty wrote:
                | if this is asking too much) from IIIT-B. We then, can have people
                | installing it themselves and getting a first hand install experience.
                <snip>
                | PS: Will we have Internet connectivity too?

                It might be a good idea, to set up a local debian mirror, to show (show
                off?), the usefulness of apt.

                --
                Chirag Kantharia, puggy.symonds.net/~chyrag/
              • Sanket Patil
                I think we can get a few laptops(Compaq, HP, IBM), and a few desktops. Internet connectivity is not a problem. Sanket ... From: DebianIndia@yahoogroups.com on
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 11 10:51 PM
                • 0 Attachment
                  I think we can get a few laptops(Compaq, HP, IBM), and a few desktops.
                  Internet connectivity is not a problem.

                  Sanket


                  -----Original Message-----
                  From: DebianIndia@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Sriharsha Setty
                  Sent: Fri 8/12/2005 10:58 AM
                  To: DebianIndia@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [DebianIndia] Re: Topic 4: Debconf on Aug 20: Agenda & Plan

                  > @SN: Surely, I can ask some of the Advanced OS students to get their
                  > machines. I will also ask the TAs to get a few Debian CDs.
                  >
                  > @Harsha: I'll talk to some of the students tomorrow and ask them to
                  > help us with machines and CDs (tomorrow, because I *have* to send a
                  > paper today). So, probably you can give me a call some time tomorrow.

                  Actually, the idea of the install-fest is that the users get their PC's to
                  the conference and get help to install Debian. But this time if we cannot
                  work it this way, we can have few machines with different hardware( dunno
                  if this is asking too much) from IIIT-B. We then, can have people
                  installing it themselves and getting a first hand install experience.

                  -harsha

                  PS: Will we have Internet connectivity too?




                  SPONSORED LINKS
                  Open source software <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Open+source+software&w1=Open+source+software&c=1&s=26&.sig=v9CJX4PsjHre2sH6zg3lIA>

                  ________________________________

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS


                  * Visit your group "DebianIndia <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DebianIndia> " on the web.

                  * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                  DebianIndia-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <mailto:DebianIndia-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>

                  * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .


                  ________________________________
                • Sundara Nagarajan
                  My idea also was to use the Advanced OS students because they are all learning to install Debian. Therefore, they can benefit from the install fest. They all
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 12 1:46 AM
                  • 0 Attachment
                    My idea also was to use the Advanced OS students because they are
                    all learning to install Debian. Therefore, they can benefit from
                    the install fest. They all have their laptops as well. So, it
                    seems this is feasible.

                    Warm regards,
                    -- sn

                    --- In DebianIndia@yahoogroups.com, "Sanket Patil "
                    <sanket.patil@i...> wrote:
                    >
                    >
                    > I think we can get a few laptops(Compaq, HP, IBM), and a few
                    desktops.
                    > Internet connectivity is not a problem.
                    >
                    > Sanket
                    >
                    >
                    > -----Original Message-----
                    > From: DebianIndia@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Sriharsha Setty
                    > Sent: Fri 8/12/2005 10:58 AM
                    > To: DebianIndia@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: Re: [DebianIndia] Re: Topic 4: Debconf on Aug 20: Agenda
                    & Plan
                    >
                    > > @SN: Surely, I can ask some of the Advanced OS students to get
                    their
                    > > machines. I will also ask the TAs to get a few Debian CDs.
                    > >
                    > > @Harsha: I'll talk to some of the students tomorrow and ask them
                    to
                    > > help us with machines and CDs (tomorrow, because I *have* to
                    send a
                    > > paper today). So, probably you can give me a call some time
                    tomorrow.
                    >
                    > Actually, the idea of the install-fest is that the users get their
                    PC's to
                    > the conference and get help to install Debian. But this time if we
                    cannot
                    > work it this way, we can have few machines with different hardware
                    ( dunno
                    > if this is asking too much) from IIIT-B. We then, can have people
                    > installing it themselves and getting a first hand install
                    experience.
                    >
                    > -harsha
                    >
                    > PS: Will we have Internet connectivity too?
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > SPONSORED LINKS
                    > Open source software <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Open+source+software&w1=Open+source+software&c=1&s=26&.sig=v9C
                    JX4PsjHre2sH6zg3lIA>
                    >
                    > ________________________________
                    >
                    > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                    >
                    >
                    > * Visit your group "DebianIndia
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DebianIndia> " on the web.
                    >
                    > * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                    > DebianIndia-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <mailto:DebianIndia-
                    unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
                    >
                    > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                    Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                    >
                    >
                    > ________________________________
                  • Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
                    ... Sorry for being late. Had a lot of work at the office. I will work on a list. Would you like to have some kind of presentation using slides or just a
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 12 5:09 AM
                    • 0 Attachment
                      On 8/10/05, Sundara Nagarajan <snagrajn@...> wrote:
                      > Ramki, Ganesan (the debian developers), Sriharsha and Chirag
                      > Kantharia shall start working offline in gowing through the
                      > Debian "wish list" (or pending work to do) that can potentially be
                      > taken up by interested potential Debian developers in Bangalore.
                      > This short list shall be discussed during the conference and
                      > volunteers & mentors assigned. I would consider this to be one of
                      > the key activities during the conference, and allocating 60 mins.
                      > for this session.
                      >
                      > Ramki & Ganesan: I request both of you to plan about 30 minutes
                      > each (20 mins talk; 10 mins QA) talking about your experience as the
                      > Debian developer, what challenges you face, and how did you succeed

                      Sorry for being late. Had a lot of work at the office.

                      I will work on a list. Would you like to have some kind of
                      presentation using slides or just a casual talk without slides? I will
                      anyway work on it this weekend. I will also forward the details of the
                      conference to debian-project, Debian Weekly News editors and also to
                      FSF lists.

                      BTW, we have got www.debian.org.in registered. Someone else had
                      registered it when the .in domains were opened up but I got it
                      transfered to SPI's name. But nothing has been done yet with the
                      domain. We need hosting space (or atleast a DNS server which redirects
                      it to the debian.org pages). I exchanged quite a lot of emails with
                      the Martin, estwhile Debian Project Leader, but things moved very
                      slowly and I lost interest. May be we can discuss more on what to do
                      when we meet.

                      --
                      73, Ramakrishnan - VU3RDD
                    • S. Nagarajan
                      Ramki, Thank you for bringing up the domain name. If we can find a volunteer to be the web master, I shall help you find a place to host. It doesn t cost
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 12 6:39 AM
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Ramki,

                        Thank you for bringing up the domain name. If we can
                        find a volunteer to be the web master, I shall help
                        you find a place to host. It doesn't cost much to
                        host it; or we could even get it free. So, the first
                        step is an enthusiastic webmaster.

                        Warm regards,
                        -- sn

                        --- Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <mrkrishnan@...>
                        wrote:

                        > On 8/10/05, Sundara Nagarajan <snagrajn@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > Ramki, Ganesan (the debian developers), Sriharsha
                        > and Chirag
                        > > Kantharia shall start working offline in gowing
                        > through the
                        > > Debian "wish list" (or pending work to do) that
                        > can potentially be
                        > > taken up by interested potential Debian developers
                        > in Bangalore.
                        > > This short list shall be discussed during the
                        > conference and
                        > > volunteers & mentors assigned. I would consider
                        > this to be one of
                        > > the key activities during the conference, and
                        > allocating 60 mins.
                        > > for this session.
                        > >
                        > > Ramki & Ganesan: I request both of you to plan
                        > about 30 minutes
                        > > each (20 mins talk; 10 mins QA) talking about your
                        > experience as the
                        > > Debian developer, what challenges you face, and
                        > how did you succeed
                        >
                        > Sorry for being late. Had a lot of work at the
                        > office.
                        >
                        > I will work on a list. Would you like to have some
                        > kind of
                        > presentation using slides or just a casual talk
                        > without slides? I will
                        > anyway work on it this weekend. I will also forward
                        > the details of the
                        > conference to debian-project, Debian Weekly News
                        > editors and also to
                        > FSF lists.
                        >
                        > BTW, we have got www.debian.org.in registered.
                        > Someone else had
                        > registered it when the .in domains were opened up
                        > but I got it
                        > transfered to SPI's name. But nothing has been done
                        > yet with the
                        > domain. We need hosting space (or atleast a DNS
                        > server which redirects
                        > it to the debian.org pages). I exchanged quite a lot
                        > of emails with
                        > the Martin, estwhile Debian Project Leader, but
                        > things moved very
                        > slowly and I lost interest. May be we can discuss
                        > more on what to do
                        > when we meet.
                        >
                        > --
                        > 73, Ramakrishnan - VU3RDD
                        >


                        --
                        S. Nagarajan
                        E-mail: snagrajn@...



                        ____________________________________________________
                        Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page
                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      • Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
                        Hi, I have posted the details to debian-project, DWN and LWN. If any of you subscribe to fsf-friends or fsf-discuss, please post it there. I have also put the
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 12 9:03 AM
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Hi,

                          I have posted the details to debian-project, DWN and LWN. If any of
                          you subscribe to fsf-friends or fsf-discuss, please post it there.

                          I have also put the pdf at

                          http://people.debian.org/~rkrishnan/debconf-india.pdf

                          --
                          73, Ramakrishnan - VU3RDD
                        • Sriharsha Setty
                          ... Talking of the local mirror. Just want to confirm from Sanket/Siddharth if you guys have a local mirror set up already. If not, I can come to the campus
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 16 4:42 AM
                          • 0 Attachment
                            > On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 08:28:39AM +0300, Sriharsha Setty wrote:
                            > | if this is asking too much) from IIIT-B. We then, can have people
                            > | installing it themselves and getting a first hand install experience.
                            > <snip>
                            > | PS: Will we have Internet connectivity too?
                            >
                            > It might be a good idea, to set up a local debian mirror, to show (show
                            > off?), the usefulness of apt.

                            Talking of the local mirror. Just want to confirm from Sanket/Siddharth if
                            you guys have a local mirror set up already. If not, I can come to the
                            campus sometime on Friday and set one up.

                            I assumed that there was no internal repository but SN told me there was one.
                            I also have access to Debian Sarge DVD's (complete) and Debian Sarge CD
                            (install CD only) . Please let me know if they can be of any help.

                            Thanks,
                            -harsha
                          • Sriharsha Setty
                            ... Guys, Any updates on this? Just want to know if anything has to be done on this front. Please let me know so that I can come by tomorrow. -harsha
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 18 6:53 AM
                            • 0 Attachment
                              >
                              >> On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 08:28:39AM +0300, Sriharsha Setty wrote:
                              >> | if this is asking too much) from IIIT-B. We then, can have people
                              >> | installing it themselves and getting a first hand install experience.
                              >> <snip>
                              >> | PS: Will we have Internet connectivity too?
                              >>
                              >> It might be a good idea, to set up a local debian mirror, to show (show
                              >> off?), the usefulness of apt.
                              >
                              > Talking of the local mirror. Just want to confirm from Sanket/Siddharth if
                              > you guys have a local mirror set up already. If not, I can come to the
                              > campus sometime on Friday and set one up.

                              Guys,
                              Any updates on this? Just want to know if anything has to be done on this
                              front. Please let me know so that I can come by tomorrow.

                              -harsha
                            • Sanket Patil
                              ... experience. ... (show ... Sanket/Siddharth if ... on this ... I hardly get to see any of these messages on my mail box. Don t know why only a few of them
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 18 9:53 PM
                              • 0 Attachment
                                --- In DebianIndia@yahoogroups.com, "Sriharsha Setty" <harsha@h...> wrote:
                                >
                                > >
                                > >> On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 08:28:39AM +0300, Sriharsha Setty wrote:
                                > >> | if this is asking too much) from IIIT-B. We then, can have people
                                > >> | installing it themselves and getting a first hand install
                                experience.
                                > >> <snip>
                                > >> | PS: Will we have Internet connectivity too?
                                > >>
                                > >> It might be a good idea, to set up a local debian mirror, to show
                                (show
                                > >> off?), the usefulness of apt.
                                > >
                                > > Talking of the local mirror. Just want to confirm from
                                Sanket/Siddharth if
                                > > you guys have a local mirror set up already. If not, I can come to the
                                > > campus sometime on Friday and set one up.
                                >
                                > Guys,
                                > Any updates on this? Just want to know if anything has to be done
                                on this
                                > front. Please let me know so that I can come by tomorrow.
                                >
                                > -harsha

                                I hardly get to see any of these messages on my mail box. Don't know
                                why only a few of them get delivered. I checked this just on the group
                                site.

                                @Harsha: It would be great if you could come today. If you want
                                details on how to reach here etc.. do call me.

                                - Sanket
                              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.