Save the Tamil Debian installer!

  • Jaldhar H. Vyas
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 2006
      I am travelling in India and only have sporadic Internet access but I saw
      this message. Please, if you can help, contact the
      debian-i18n@... mailing list so that Etch can ship with
      the option to install in Tamil.

      --
      Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@...>
    • Christian Perrier
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 11, 2006
        Quoting Jaldhar H. Vyas (jaldhar@...):
        > I am travelling in India and only have sporadic Internet access but I saw
        > this message. Please, if you can help, contact the
        > debian-i18n@... mailing list so that Etch can ship with
        > the option to install in Tamil.

        There has been progress since then.

        I got contact with a few people that have done work....in Rosetta and
        I merged their work with the one from Damodharan Rajalingam who did
        the initial work for D-I in Tamil.

        Actually, the stats jumped from 600 messages or so up to 1255, out of
        1525....which is pretty good. Most of the work has been done by Dr
        Tirumurti Vasudevan and Damodharan Rajalingam approved its inclusion
        in D-I. Jayaradha acted efficiently as a proxy (from my understading).

        So, even though I wouldn't say that Tamil translations for D-I are
        "saved", they're in better shape now. I'm currently trying to get the
        involved people organized together and continue the work.

        Thanks for your concern, Jaldhar, and I hope you enjoy your trip in
        India, btw.