Interested people..

  • Sriharsha Setty
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 21, 2005
      Hi SN,

      The following people have been GNU/Debian users for a long time now. They
      are very interested to attend the debconf. I request you to add them into
      the mailing list.

      Aaditya Sood: aaditya@...
      Noufal Ibraham: nkv@...
      Alok Singh: alokgs@...
      Narendra Prabhu: naren@...
      Vikas B N: vikas.bn@...

      And Roopa is interested to. She wants herself to be subscribed at
      roopa.prabhu@...
    • S. Nagarajan
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 22, 2005
        Sriharsha,

        I am happy to add them all. However, a short private
        conversation. The idea of this discussion group is to
        develop Debian developers/contributors and not users.
        It was not conceived as a user group, as the user
        group would be much larger than developer group. It
        is quite possible that we can keep this discussion
        group for all interested, and then create a separate
        one focused on developers/developer aspirants (people
        who want to contribute to Debian.)
        What do you say?

        Warm regards,
        -- sn

        --
        S. Nagarajan
        E-mail: snagrajn@...

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Sowmyanarayanan Sadagopan
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 22, 2005
          I agree. Let us NOW focus on Developers
          Regards

          --
          S. Nagarajan
          E-mail: snagrajn@...

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Professor S Sadagopan
          Director
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 23, 2005
            On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 08:09:19AM +0530, Sowmyanarayanan Sadagopan wrote:
            | I agree. Let us NOW focus on Developers

            To start with, it would be a good way to introduce oneself, with the
            packages (or kind of packages), they have been thinking of maintaining,
            or are already maintaining. Quoting URLs to one's work, would suffice
            for introduction as well.

            I'm sure, everybody knows about the packages that Ganesan and Krishnan
            maintain:
            http://people.debian.org/~rganesan/
            http://people.debian.org/~rkrishnan/

            About myself, I've filed an ITA for packaging and maintaining a utility
            called netdump, which consists of netdump-server and netdump client.
            It's used to dump kernel panics (Oops message, plus memory dump), over
            the network, which would be picked up by netdump-server, running on
            another machine, on the same subnet (something like syslogd). More
            information about it, can be obtained here:
            http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/redhat/netdump/

            I started working on the package, at my last workplace (HP), where the
            RedHat version of the package, was extensively used, during development.
            Since we were also working on Debian version of the product, I felt it
            to be a good idea, to have a Debian version of netdump, and thus it came
            into being. Now that I'm not working at HP, anymore, I don't have
            access to network of machines, which I can use to test run my package.
            If only, I can convince my room mate to run Linux ... ;)

            Regards,

            --
            Chirag Kantharia, puggy.symonds.net/~chyrag/
          • Amit Shah
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 23, 2005
              On 7/23/05, Chirag Kantharia <chyrag@...> wrote:
              > On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 08:09:19AM +0530, Sowmyanarayanan Sadagopan wrote:
              > | I agree. Let us NOW focus on Developers
              >
              > To start with, it would be a good way to introduce oneself, with the
              > packages (or kind of packages), they have been thinking of maintaining,
              > or are already maintaining. Quoting URLs to one's work, would suffice
              > for introduction as well.

              That's a nice idea. I was introduced to this group by Chirag, and have
              my keys signed by Ganesan and Muthu.

              I'm maintaining three packages, audiolink, libfilesys-smbclient-perl
              and libogg-vorbis-header-perl. More info is here:

              http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=Amit+Shah

              I'm currently on hold on the NM process (I've not finished it yet). I
              should be starting on the NM process again very soon.

              As for the meet, I'm not sure if I'll be attend, I will most likely be
              out of town on the 20th of Aug.

              --
              Amit Shah
              http://amitshah.net/ | http://www.livejournal.com/users/amitshah/
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 24, 2005
                >That's a nice idea. I was introduced to this group by Chirag, and have
                >my keys signed by Ganesan and Muthu.

                This reminds me. We should have a key signing party. Getting your keys
                signed by an existing debian developer is mandatory if you want to be a
                debian developer. A conference like this is the best place to get your
                keys signed.
                See http://www.debian.org/events/keysigning.

                Ganesan
              • Sriharsha Setty
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 25, 2005
                  Hi SN,

                  > I am happy to add them all. However, a short private
                  > conversation. The idea of this discussion group is to
                  > develop Debian developers/contributors and not users.
                  > It was not conceived as a user group, as the user
                  > group would be much larger than developer group. It
                  > is quite possible that we can keep this discussion
                  > group for all interested, and then create a separate
                  > one focused on developers/developer aspirants (people
                  > who want to contribute to Debian.)
                  > What do you say?

                  Firstly, apologies for the delay in my reply, I was outta station for the
                  weekend.
                  My idea was to have more Debian users participating in the list so as to
                  get the best ideas for the conference. We need developers, wannabe
                  developers and users too, to make this conference a success. Like you
                  said, we can have a seperate list for the devs, probably.

                  thanks,
                  harsha

                  PS : For all who don't know me. My longer name is Sriharsha but everyone
                  calls me just Harsha. :) I have been using Debian for 3-4 years now. I
                  have packaged a small(yet powerful) commandline accounting tool called
                  ledger. Ledger packs itself with all the power that the big boys (GNUCash
                  etc etc) can offer. Moreover, it has cool emacs major mode to edit your
                  balance sheet in Emacs. It comes loaded with a powerful regex engine to do
                  your searches. It is also extensible in Python (through Boost Python libs)

                  If you are not aware, we actually had a small Debian/Emacs meet in the
                  aegis of Ramakrishnan. This time, I hope we can have more people and
                  ofcourse more fun! Thanks SN!
                • chyrag
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 26, 2005
                    --- In DebianIndia@yahoogroups.com, "Sriharsha Setty" <harsha@h...> wrote:
                    > calls me just Harsha. :) I have been using Debian for 3-4 years
                    now. I
                    > have packaged a small(yet powerful) commandline accounting tool called
                    > ledger. Ledger packs itself with all the power that the big boys
                    (GNUCash
                    > etc etc) can offer. Moreover, it has cool emacs major mode to edit your
                    > balance sheet in Emacs. It comes loaded with a powerful regex engine
                    to do
                    > your searches. It is also extensible in Python (through Boost Python
                    libs)

                    Are there people on this list, that are looking/searching for
                    packages that they can maintain? The Bangalore Linux User
                    group (BLUG) had started some initiative for support for
                    local languages, quite sometime back. I have no idea of the
                    status now, but one could look up their yahoo group at:

                    Perhaps, some languages/fonts could be packaged, if the
                    initiative has been able to come up with something.

                    chyrag.

                    PS: apologies for the bad formatted quoted text; Yahoogroups mail
                    poster sucks.
                  • Chirag Kantharia
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 26, 2005
                      --- Alok G Singh <alokgs@...> wrote:
                      > With fetchyahoo you, can collect your Y! mail to your local inbox. Y!
                      > Groups can be configured to allow posting from upto 5 other email
                      > addresses. So, you can use your favourite MUA to post.

                      I do use fetchyahoo, from my `primary email server' (symonds.net).
                      But it's down for last couple of hours, and so ...

                      chyrag.

                      Chirag Kantharia <chyrag@...>

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Alok G Singh
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 26, 2005
                        On 26 Jul 2005, chyrag@... wrote:

                        > PS: apologies for the bad formatted quoted text; Yahoogroups mail
                        > poster sucks.

                        With fetchyahoo you, can collect your Y! mail to your local inbox. Y! Groups can be configured to allow posting from upto 5 other email addresses. So, you can use your favourite MUA to post.

                        Of course, this is of no use if you are trying to keep your _real_ email address private :)

                        yrs,
                        Alok

                        ---
                        Rudeness is a weak man's imitation of strength.
                      • Amit Shah
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 27, 2005
                          On 7/26/05, chyrag <chyrag@...> wrote:
                          > Perhaps, some languages/fonts could be packaged, if the
                          > initiative has been able to come up with something.

                          I wasn't aware of this, but I had downloaded and mailed some websites
                          for some fonts that I intended to package. I didn't receive replies
                          from most of them. There are quite a few open fonts (in Indian
                          languages) out there, though.

                          --
                          Amit Shah
                          http://amitshah.net/ | http://www.livejournal.com/users/amitshah/
                        • Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 27, 2005
                            On 7/27/05, Amit Shah <shahamit@...> wrote:
                            > On 7/26/05, chyrag <chyrag@...> wrote:
                            > > Perhaps, some languages/fonts could be packaged, if the
                            > > initiative has been able to come up with something.
                            >
                            > I wasn't aware of this, but I had downloaded and mailed some websites
                            > for some fonts that I intended to package. I didn't receive replies
                            > from most of them. There are quite a few open fonts (in Indian
                            > languages) out there, though.

                            There is a debian-in-workers list, if anyone is interested in. Ganesan
                            and I packaged afew fonts for Tamil, Malayalam and afew other
                            languages. There are quite a lot of good fonts out there for
                            packaging. It will be a good effort if someone can come up a custom
                            debian distro (i.e setof packages or pseudo packages) which gives the
                            user an Indian Language Desktop.

                            --
                            73 - Ramakrishnan, VU3RDD