packages

  • nathan
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24, 2006
      I was able to install packages using the CLI, but, I can't seem to run
      them.
      when I type in the package name it says "bash-command not found".
      am trying to use debian.
      any suggestions?
      Thank You in advance
      Your help is appreciated.
      Nathan
    • Laxminarayan Kamath
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24, 2006
        On 25/02/06, nathan <nathan30126@...> wrote:
        I was able to install packages using the CLI, but, I can't seem to run
        them.
        when I type in the package name it says "bash-command not found".
        am trying to use debian.
        any suggestions?

        The package name  need not always be the command name ! You can get a list of files the package installed by issueing the command

            dpkg -L packagename.

        In the output, you should be able to find out files installed under some "bin" directory like /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, etc. try those out. :-)

        By the way, which is the package that you tried?

        --
        Laxminarayan Kamath Ammembal
        (+91) 9342287956
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25, 2006
          On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Laxminarayan Kamath wrote:

          > The package name need not always be the command name ! You can get a list
          > of files the package installed by issueing the command
          >
          > dpkg -L packagename.

          dpkg -S I think you mean.

          > In the output, you should be able to find out files installed under some
          > "bin" directory like /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, etc. try those out. :-)

          Also note every package has documentation in /usr/share/doc/<packagename>

          --
          Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@...>
        • nathan