1Debian Developer Conference Tentetive Plan August 15, 2005

  • Sundara Nagarajan
    Jul 13, 2005
      As you know, we are together here to plan the first Debian Developer
      Conference in Bangalore. International Institute of Information
      Technology (IIIT), Bangalore has kindly extended the support to
      organize the conference at the IIIT-B campus and also support us.

      The main purpose of this yahoo group is to develop the developer
      community for Debian from India. There are currently just two
      developer contributors for Debian operating from India. There are
      many others who seem to be interested. The role this discussion group
      would play is to be the catalyst, cheer leader, supporter etc. to make
      it possible for the real contributors to make progress as Debian
      developers.

      The role I would like to play is also around the same lines as what I
      just said. As we make progress, and a more appropriate leadership
      emerges, I will be glad to hand over the baton to the new leader.
      Until then, I shall support team. I would strive to play this role
      more as a facilitator, moderator and arbitrator. It would benefit
      all, if every one contributed just as is the case with Open Source
      culture.

      Coming specific to the conference, I suggest that we all look at:
      debconf.org site to get an idea on how to organize. My proposal is to
      keep the conference specific to Bangalore to begin with (just for
      simplifying the logistics issues) and keep it a technical event
      focused on developers, power users and developer aspirants. I am
      reproducing at the end of this message, the Debconf announcement for
      the recent worldwide conference.

      Please let me know how we make progress from here.

      Looking forward to a productive discussion and making progress in this
      journey.

      Warm regards,
      -- sn

      -
      The Debian Project
      http://www.debian.org/events/
      Sixth Annual Debian Conference
      press@...
      July 5th, 2005
      http://www.debian.org/News/2005/20050705
      -

      Sixth Annual Debian Conference

      The 6th annual Debian Conference will be held at the Computer Science
      department of the Helsinki University of Technology in Espoo, Finland
      from July 9th to July 17th 2005. Debian and Free Software developers
      from countries around the world meet for a week-long series of
      intensive development, seminars and workshops. It is highly technical
      in nature.

      The target audience is Debian developers, interested and sophisticated
      Debian users. During the conference a number of attending developers
      will give talks about particular topics about or otherwise affiliated
      with Debian. The schedule will be published during the conference and
      isn't fixed yet. There will also be several workshops, coding
      parties, demonstrations and discussions.

      Details on DebConf: http://www.debian.org/events/2005/0710-debconf

      Debian Day

      The Debian Developers Conference starts with Debian Day, a one-day
      conference aiming at the general public. This sub-conference will
      take place at the Computer Science department of the Helsinki
      University of Technology in Espoo, Finland. The schedule follows:

      Debian Day Schedule -- Saturday, July 9th, 2005

      09:00 Greetings by Martin-Éric Racine, Andreas Schuldei, Branden
      Robinson
      09:30 What is Debian? Jaldhar H. Vyas
      10:15 What is Free Software? Gunnar Wolf
      11:00 Custom Debian distributions Aigars Mahinovs
      11:45 A travel through Debian Juan Jose Amor
      12:30 Debian release processes Andreas Barth
      12:00 Lunch Break
      14:00 Debian in Extremadura Dario Rapisardi and Pedro Pérez
      15:00 Helping Debian for end-user Alexander Schmehl
      15:45 Developing software for Debian Martin-Éric Racine
      16:30 How HP benefits from Debian Bdale Garbee
      17:30 Debian Project goals Q & A session

      Details on Debian Day: http://www.debconf.org/debconf5/about/debianday

      Acknowledgement

      This year's Debian Conference is organised in collaboration with
      Linux-Aktivaattori and the Helsinki University of Technology, along
      with financial support from HP, Intel, Nokia, Linux Magazine, IBM,
      SLX-Debian-Labs, Movial, NetApp, Hostway, Linspire, VA Linux Systems
      Japan, O'Reilly, Progeny, Canonical, Xandros, Damicon, Univention,
      Linux Information Systems AG, MySQL, credativ and Ropecon.

      For more information, please contact

      Martin-Éric Racine
      debconf5-press@...
      +358-40-726 2737