Letter from Christopher Reeve

  • Jill Snyder
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2002
      I felt this was interesting enough to share with you all.

      Annie's Mailbox : Thursday, August 1 2002

      Creators Syndicate
      08-01-2002

      Dear Annie: Disability has a huge impact on our society. One in five
      Americans, 54 million people, have disabilities that impact our daily lives.
      People with disabilities want to be recognized for what they can do, not what
      they can't, but all too often, they do not have the opportunity to participate
      in and contribute to society. Americans with disabilities trail the rest of
      the population in access to education, employment and community involvement. A
      new program takes a novel approach to improve this situation. There are an
      estimated 55 million old cellular phones tucked away in drawers around the
      country. We are asking your readers to donate their old cell phones to Sprint
      Project Connect, recently launched through the help of campaign spokesperson
      and award-winning actress Marlee Matlin. Phones can be dropped off at any
      participating Sprint Store or Easter Seals location nationwide, or readers can
      see a list by accessing our Web site, www.nod.org. These phones will be
      recycled or resold, and a portion of the proceeds will benefit the National
      Organization on Disability and Easter Seals.
      Thank you for helping us get the word out so cell phones can be donated and
      lives can be reinvigorated. Sincerely, -- Christopher Reeve, Vice Chairman,
      National Organization on Disability, Washington, D.C.

      Dear Christopher Reeve: Thank you for writing. You have been an inspiration to
      the world, and I am more than happy to help.

      Please, readers, find those old cell phones, and take them to your nearest
      Sprint Store, or access the Web site to get a list of locations. Your
      cooperation can make a huge difference in the quality of life for people with
      disabilities.