"ILY" Barbie Dolls currently in Toys 'R' Us stores

  • raymondrodgers@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17 3:33 PM
      PARAMUS, N.J., April 11 /PRNewswire/ -- There are a lot of ways to
      say "I love you," and for people with hearing impairments, one of the
      most common ways is to use American Sign Language (ASL). Now anyone
      who wants to say "I love you" or wants to learn a little bit more
      about signing, has an opportunity to do so with Sign Language Barbie
      (R) doll -- available only at Toys "R" Us (NYSE: TOY). This
      exclusive Barbie doll by Mattel is currently available at Toys "R" Us
      stores nationwide and on http://www.toysrus.com.

      "Sign Language Barbie is a terrific addition to our outstanding
      Barbie line," said Jim Feldt, President-U.S. Toy Stores Merchandising
      and Marketing. "This is a wonderful way to teach kids more about sign
      language and Barbie makes it fun for everyone. We're delighted to
      expand our Barbie line with another winner in Sign Language Barbie."

      Mattel worked with the National Center on Deafness at California
      State University, Northridge to ensure the Barbie doll was accurately
      representing a sign language teacher. Packaged in a schoolroom
      setting, Sign Language Barbie(R) doll highlights American Sign
      Language (ASL) through the use of hand positions both on the box and
      on stickers included with the doll. By using the stickers, children
      can make their own sentences through the use of ASL.

      "For over 41 years, Barbie has taken on several exciting aspirational
      roles ranging from astronaut to presidential candidate," said
      Adrienne Fontanella, President, Girls/Barbie, Mattel Inc. "But this
      is the first time Barbie has communicated an ASL signing position,
      and in the role of teacher, she can help to break down barriers and
      facilitate understanding between children with and without
      disabilities."

      Toys "R" Us -- The world's leading resource for kids, families and
      fun currently operates 1,551 stores; 709 toy stores in the United
      States, 465 international toy stores, including franchise stores, 203
      Kids "R" Us children's clothing stores, 134 Babies "R" Us stores and
      40 Imaginarium stores. The company also sells merchandise through
      its Internet sites at http://www.toysrus.com,
      http://www.imaginarium.com and through mail order catalogs.

      Since her creation in 1959 as a paper-doll-inspired friend, the
      Barbie doll has achieved the title of the most successful toy of all
      time. She's held that title by adapting her look, lifestyle and
      fashions to meet changing times. In 1999, the Barbie doll line
      posted sales of $1.5 billion with more than one billion Barbie dolls
      (and family members) sold since 1959.

      Mattel, Inc. (NYSE: MAT) is a worldwide leader in design, manufacture
      and marketing of family products. With headquarters in El Segundo,
      California, Mattel has offices and facilities in 36 countries and
      markets its products in more than 150 nations throughout the world.

      SOURCE Toys "R" Us

      CO: Toys "R" Us; Mattel, Inc.; Imaginarium

      ST: New Jersey, California

      IN: REA HOU

      SU: PDT

      04/11/2000 15:34 EDT http://www.prnewswire.com