Research on the hearing impaired for a design project

  • Amanda Bery
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2010
      Hi all,

      I am an Industrial Design student at the University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign and I am currently working on a design project where a deaf person is the target user. I want to make the best, most effective product that I can, and receiving feedback from someone who is deaf would be incredibly helpful. For my upcoming project, I have decided to invent and design a device that helps deaf people wake up easily in the morning. I have done research on current devices and I thought that creating a bracelet type alarm clock that alerts your through vibration would be helpful. I would be so appreciative if you could answer a few questions about your personal experiences via email. Your insight would be very valuable to my research. The questions are below.

      Thank you very much for your time.

      Thanks again,
      Amanda Bery
      University of Illinois | Class of 2012
      College of Fine and Applied Arts | Industrial Design

      Questions-

      Where are you from? What is your age?

      How long have you been hearing impaired?

      What difficulties do you encounter on a daily basis, if any?

      Are there any products you wish you had to help you?

      How do you wake up in the morning? Have you used any of the vibrating watch alarm clocks on the market? What did you think about it? Did it work well?

      Do you like the device you currently use to wake up in the morning? Is it reliable, comfortable, effective, or convenient? Please explain.

      If you do not like the device you currently use, what would you change about it?

      How do you feel about a bracelet type alarm clock that you could wear at all times that would alert you through vibration about waking up, appointments, personal duties, times to take medications, times to come home, times when class/work is over? Would this make you feel more more independent? Would this help you make smoother transitions throughout the day?

      If you feel this concept is inappropriate for yourself, is there a certain age group/gender you would recommend it for? (I feel children under 18 would benefit most from this.)

      Please feel free to add any other information that you think would help me. If any of you know someone who is hearing impaired and under 18, please let me know.

      I can't thank you enough for taking the time to answer these questions!

      NEED INTERPRETERS? No problem!
      Use Deaf Communication by Innovation (DCI)!
      Deaf Owned and Operated Interpreter Referral Agency
      Deaf Communication by Innovation

      DON'T FORGET TO POST EVENTS, NEWS, INFO, ADS, EVENTS, ETC.
      ON THE DEAF ILLINOIS NEWS!

      http://www.deafillinois.com