19361Social Security's Field Office Service Changes--INFORMATION

  • ||CHI RPA
    Jul 17, 2014
      Social Security's Field Office Service Changes

      Dear Colleague:

      In February, we wrote to tell you about some upcoming changes to the services we provide at Social Security offices across the country.  That letter notified you that, after consultation with stakeholders and feedback from agency colleagues, we changed the initial date of implementation from February 1, 2014 to October 1, 2014 to help the public adjust to this change and to allow additional time to conduct outreach and provide education to our customers on the alternate, more convenient services that we offer.

      Now, to ensure there are no detrimental consequences to those we serve, we have decided to continue to provide benefit verification letters in our field offices until further notice.

      We believe that agencies with existing data exchanges with us should not disadvantage members of the public by needlessly sending them into our offices when they have the information readily available, and we further believe that the public will find the convenience of obtaining the information online much easier and faster than making the trip to an office.

      We realize, however, that change does not come quickly or easily.  Therefore, we will continue to conduct and expand our outreach and education with the public, as well as with our Federal, State, Tribal, and local partners, while continuing to provide our customers the information they need.  This will enable everyone to get more accustomed to using our online tools and data exchanges.  We will revisit implementation of this change periodically as we assess the impact of our outreach activities.

      For security and privacy reasons, we will move forward with our plans to eliminate the issuance of Social Security number printouts in our field offices effective August 1, 2014.

      Please share this information with others in your organization and help us get the word out to all of your members and constituents

      We appreciate your continued support helping to inform the American people about this important update.

      If you have questions, please feel free to contact our office at 312-575-4050.

      Sincerely,

      Carmen M. Moreno
      Regional Communications Director

      Social Security Administration