19360Social Security Extends Access to Benefit Verification Multiple Options Available--NEWS RELEASE

  • ||CHI RPA
    Jul 17, 2014
    Thursday, July 17, 2014
    For Immediate Release
    Carmen M Moreno, Regional Communications Director
    chi.rpa@...

    News Release
    SOCIAL SECURITY
    Social Security Extends Access to Benefit Verification
    Multiple Options Available
    Today, the Social Security Administration announced that local Social Security offices would continue to provide benefit verification letters until further notice.  Providing services when and where the public needs them remains central to Social Security’s efforts, while continuing to encourage federal, state, and local agencies to take advantage of Social Security’s data exchange programs that can serve customers more efficiently and effectively.
    “We appreciate the feedback from members of Congress, our community stakeholders and agency partners. We want to ensure that we meet the needs of our customers in a way that is convenient for them and also cost-effective and secure for all,” Acting Commissioner Carolyn W. Colvin stated. “I believe that government agencies can work closer together to assist our mutual customers.”
    Over the last few years, Social Security has invested in technology that allows most government agencies and many other organizations to verify their clients’ Social Security benefits electronically without requiring them to visit a local Social Security office.
    “We recognize that some members of the public may require in-person assistance and we will have a presence in local communities,” said Acting Commissioner Colvin. “We also want to ensure that the public is aware that they can access many of our services without making a trip to a local field office.”
    Members of the public with Internet access can obtain benefit verification information by creating a my Social Security account at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount.

    # # #