Re: [Deadlands uk] What going on in here?

  • jon.scholes@grattan.co.uk
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 12:47 AM
      What's this about Deadlands rebooted about then? or have i been asleep?

      To join the online game, nate, what you need to do is join the Yahoogroup,
      [Deadlands_UK_Online], and talk to the Marshall Merchand about joining in.
      Although with the 7 or 8 people that are playing at the minute, i'm not
      sure if there's room in that game.

      Anyway, as some of you might remember a while ago i asked for thoughts
      about a plot and ended up writing something that was a cross between 'The
      Quick and the Dead', 'The Terminator', 'The Jackal', 'Metal Gear Solid' and
      'The Running Man'. (If anyone's interested, i can post what the plot turned
      out to be). Point being, the posse has just got to the end of that story
      and survived, just about. Now i'm looking for another 5 or 6
      stories/films/videogames to wire together into a wierd and wonderful horror
      western tale. Anyone got any ideas?

      BBJ.
    • Nathaniel Garth
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 4:13 AM
        Here is the link to the deadlands rebooted

        http://www.peginc.com/ShootingBlind/DeadlandsReboot.htm

        As for the movies/video games/shows

        Bad boys (go figure)
        New JAck City
        Mission: impossible
        The Italian Job
        Enter the Dragon
        America's Army Ops

        Peace,

        Nate

        Mike Lowrey: Hello?
        Marcus Burnett: We're your new neighbors.
        Mike Lowrey: Don't be alarmed, we're negros.
        Marcus Burnett: Naw man, naw! Too much bass in your voice. That scares white folks. You got to sound more like them.
        [In high pitched voice] Bad Boys 1995
        Marcus Burnett: We were wondering if we could borrow some brown sugar..?

      • Megan C Robertson
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1 4:30 AM
          > Here is the link to the deadlands rebooted

          > http://www.peginc.com/ShootingBlind/DeadlandsReboot.htm

          Thanks, Nate.

          It raises one of the important issues in the role-playing industry today
          (highlighted by White Wolf's recent decision to wind up the World of
          Darkness with a climactic event): how much of an imposed storyline do
          gamers want?

          There are 2 schools of thought here. In one, a lot of folks seem to like
          an ongoing storyline arc that they can weave their own adventures
          around. I recently read 'Deadlands Epitaph issue # 4' and there's only a
          couple of articles in it that are of any use unless you are fairly
          completist about following what has been published in the Deadlands line
          (well, apart from GURPS Deadlands, for which there isn't anything in
          there!). Deadlands isn't alone in this, of course. I've already
          mentioned the World of Darkness, you might also consider Dream Pod 9's
          Heavy Metal series (they even release 'storyline' books which contain
          only storyline, no gaming material at all!), or AEG's Shadowforce Archer
          setting for their Spycraft game. Not to mention the 'Game based on a TV
          show' games, which all have supporting material based around the show in
          question.

          The other is the approach that was the original one of role-playing:
          Here are the rules, now go away and play. Pick up your core rulebooks
          and run a game of your own devising. Naturally, there are settings and
          scenarios available, but by and large they are truly 'optional' -
          consider D&D - it works as well if you run games in Greyhawk or the
          Forgotten Realms or any of the 3rd party settings or one of your own
          design. You don't need to keep up with what's happening in someone
          else's world unless you want to do so. Indeed these days it's quite
          difficult to keep up with everything!

          I'd be interested to hear what others think on this question. Do we want
          all this pregenerated story arc material, and how dependent on it do we
          want our games to become?

          Hugs and kisses,

          Mexal.
        • ashburnerx
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1 10:03 AM
            Well Personally, I really do like a grand story arc over bare bones.
            It gives a sense of continunity and completion to the entire history
            and allows the players to actually participate in some of the events
            that shape the world they play in (Like "Bloody Sunday", which you
            can be at during "The Heart of Darkness" adventure. I can still
            remember when I ran though that one... all I can say is "Damn.")

            As for movies/games/books, try these...

            Shadow Hearts PS2(Ok, this actually takes place around 1912 in China,
            but parts of it take place in 1900. It could be fudged alittle...)

            Any WildARMS game (It's already kinda Wild West.)
          • tennessee_nate
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1 10:21 AM
              go ahead and post the plot