Re: [Deadlands uk] Re: Templates

  • Bo Whitten
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 10, 2003
      I would think that 5 Legend and 1 Black might be more appropriate. The
      Black chip is a punishment chip, and they are very rarely, if ever,
      used. As for Legend chips... everyone gets one the first time their Tail
      Tellin' reduces the fear level of an area. They also get one into the pot
      when they complete a Legendary adventure successfully. With a 4 player
      group it would be REAL easy to need as many as 10, at a minimum you will
      need 4 (one each for Tail Tellin').

      Bo

      At 08:43 AM 6/10/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      >im lookin at a 91 unt chip set, the regular chips plus 3 legend and
      >3 black, cost wise im hoping to get them to retail at a maximum of
      >$40 and hopefully less.
    • Peter King
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 10, 2003
        More feedback like this folks, I have found a real promising company... things are moving quickly so I need to have ideas and designs.

        Bo Whitten <lorgryt.detroll@...> wrote:I would think that 5 Legend and 1 Black might be more appropriate. The
        Black chip is a punishment chip, and they are very rarely, if ever,
        used. As for Legend chips... everyone gets one the first time their Tail
        Tellin' reduces the fear level of an area. They also get one into the pot
        when they complete a Legendary adventure successfully. With a 4 player
        group it would be REAL easy to need as many as 10, at a minimum you will
        need 4 (one each for Tail Tellin').

        Bo

        At 08:43 AM 6/10/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        >im lookin at a 91 unt chip set, the regular chips plus 3 legend and
        >3 black, cost wise im hoping to get them to retail at a maximum of
        >$40 and hopefully less.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Peter King,
        Moderator Of Deadlands UK & Manufactuer Of The Official Law Marshals Badge.
        Producer Of Aces & Eights, a Soundtrack For The Weird West
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Deadlandsuk
        Come share yer tales of the trails pardner.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 10, 2003
          Could someone do me a favour and go over the rules for the black chip, it
          rings no bells. and cover in which book they're in. cos they sure aren't in
          the main rules. at least the ones i've got.

          Plus, i'm not sure that you give everybody in the party a tale-telling
          legend chip? sure it's just the teller of the tale.

          BUT all told, it makes sense to me to round off the numbers up to 100.

          50 white
          25 red
          10 blue
          ---------
          85. plus
          10 Legend (for really long campaigns)
          & 5 Black (even though you've lost me on these.)

          As for colours, Gold and Black sound good... or yellow if gold's too much.
        • Peter King
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 10, 2003
            latest on this, the chips are looking like there will be a set of 90, 85 standard, 4 ledgend and 1 black, the reason for this is that I can get a box to go with these customized for deadlands at no extra cost,. we are still on the pricing target and the yellow chips will be included. the only downside is that in order to meet the criteria the chips will be made in high grade plastics as opposed to clay which is ridiculously expensive.

            jon.scholes@... wrote:
            Could someone do me a favour and go over the rules for the black chip, it
            rings no bells. and cover in which book they're in. cos they sure aren't in
            the main rules. at least the ones i've got.

            Plus, i'm not sure that you give everybody in the party a tale-telling
            legend chip? sure it's just the teller of the tale.

            BUT all told, it makes sense to me to round off the numbers up to 100.

            50 white
            25 red
            10 blue
            ---------
            85. plus
            10 Legend (for really long campaigns)
            & 5 Black (even though you've lost me on these.)

            As for colours, Gold and Black sound good... or yellow if gold's too much.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Peter King,
            Moderator Of Deadlands UK & Manufactuer Of The Official Law Marshals Badge.
            Producer Of Aces & Eights, a Soundtrack For The Weird West
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Deadlandsuk
            Come share yer tales of the trails pardner.

          • Chris Beilby
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 10, 2003
              > Could someone do me a favour and go over the rules for the black chip, it
              > rings no bells. and cover in which book they're in. cos they sure aren't
              in
              > the main rules. at least the ones i've got.

              The Black chip is a house rule, currently available at
              http://www.darious.com/deadlands/article/chip.html.
            • Bo Whitten
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 10, 2003
                At 03:52 PM 6/10/2003 +0100, you wrote:
                >Could someone do me a favour and go over the rules for the black chip, it
                >rings no bells. and cover in which book they're in. cos they sure aren't in
                >the main rules. at least the ones i've got.

                Here is a copy of the file.... not in file form! haha!

                Bo

                ===
                The Black Chip
                By Chad Day and Roger Bert

                This is an unofficial optional rule that we thought was just too cool not
                to put up...

                Just as fate smiles on those that perservere against the odds and
                accomplish their goals, fate also frowns upon those that cause trouble and
                fail their desires. When the posse royally screws up an adventure and ends
                up leaving things worse than when they started, they earn a "Black Chip".
                Some examples of screwing things up include raising a fear level, a major
                public disgrace for the posse, letting tough opponents get away, getting
                involved in the wrong side of a dispute and gaining major noteriety for
                their magical or bizarre talents which would draw the attention of the
                Tombstone Epitaph or government agency.

                When a posse member draws a Black Chip from the fate pot, fate frowns upon
                the group... and bad things are soon to come. Remove the Black Chip from
                the game just as you would a used Legend Chip. The posse member who drew
                the Black Chip does not get to draw a replacement chip. During the session,
                something bad will happen to the posse and that something will most likely
                notice the player who drew the Black Chip first if possible. For example,
                if the posse earned the Black Chip because they angered, attacked and fled
                from the notorious bandit "Six-gun Sanchez", then maybe he came looking for
                the posse for revenge. And Mr. Sanchez most likely walks into the local
                saloon just as the unfortunate individual who drew the Black Chip was
                coming down the stairs... alone. Sanchez will most likely take out his
                pent-up aggression on right then and there, or follow the individual back
                to the posse before he begins causing trouble (depending how deserving he
                is and what kind of mood the Marshal is in). Say the posse earned the Black
                Chip because their huckster gained a reputation as a practitioner of the
                black arts, then maybe a team of Pinkertons or a posse of bounty killers
                will be aiming to take him dead or alive. Only the players may draw Black
                Chips. The possibilities are endless, but any way you look at it, the Black
                Chip is an omen that something wicked this way comes...

                As an alternative, if the Marshal draws the Black Chip from the fate pot,
                he may treat it as a Legend Chip for himself. During that session,
                something bad will happen just as if a posse member had drawn it. Under
                this system, if the Marshal draws a true Legend Chip he returns it to the
                fate pot and does not redraw; therefore only the posse may have Legend
                Chips and only the Marshal can keep and use Black Chips. There may only be
                one Black Chip in the fate pot at a type.

                A good way to mark the chips is to spray paint some of your extra blue
                chips. Use gold paint for a Legend Chip and black spray paint for a Black
                Chip. A permanent marker will show on a gold painted chip to mark it so
                that you can remember how the posse earned it. The posse won't have more
                than one Black Chip, so the Marshal can decide which is the most
                interesting to keep in the fate pot.
              • Bex
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 10, 2003
                  Is it just me, or am I unbelievable harsh on my players. My group will never have more than 1 legend chip in the pot at any one time. I play a rule that states that the party get the chip for completing a legendary adventure. Whoever draws the chip can use it, if they use it to benefit the posse, then it goes back in the pot, if however they choose to be selfish and use it for their own ends, it does not. I think that they are too powerful to hand out more than one at a time.

                  What circumstances do you guys hand them out in, as I am beginning to feel like I am screwing my players over?

                  Bex

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 10, 2003
                    At 09:35 PM 6/10/2003 +0100, you wrote:
                    >Is it just me, or am I unbelievable harsh on my players. My group will
                    >never have more than 1 legend chip in the pot at any one time. I play a
                    >rule that states that the party get the chip for completing a legendary
                    >adventure. Whoever draws the chip can use it, if they use it to benefit
                    >the posse, then it goes back in the pot, if however they choose to be
                    >selfish and use it for their own ends, it does not. I think that they are
                    >too powerful to hand out more than one at a time.
                    >
                    >What circumstances do you guys hand them out in, as I am beginning to feel
                    >like I am screwing my players over?

                    I agree that it takes completing a Legendary adventure to get a Legend
                    Chip, and so far my group of 2 players has only done it once. But, there is
                    the book rule of getting a personal one that DOES NOT go back to the pot AT
                    ALL for lowing the Fear in an area by Tail Tellin', and that one goes to
                    each player that does it ONCE! The very first time it is done for that
                    character. (Only one try per story for ANY character).

                    Aside from that I only give them out based on the danger of the story, the
                    efforts of the players AND the effect on the game world. So far... 1 in 14
                    games (5 stories). I had planed to give them one more for a story, but
                    they busted it wide open and beat it before the last chapter (not one of
                    mine... it was Worms). Turned out to be so easy I didn't even give them
                    full Chip value for the run. As an aside, they have gotten 2 Grit so far
                    as well... so I am kind of stingy on Grit as well.

                    I don't think you are screwing your players over unless you don't give them
                    any after an epic effort that they win though. If you refuse to reward them
                    for very hard work... well... But, from what I can see of you Bex, you are
                    NOT being unreasonable.

                    Deadlands needs to be hard and unrewarding in some of how it does things or
                    it looses the 'Weird West' feel... you know?

                    Bo
                  • Paul Page
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 10, 2003
                      If they're gonna be plastic I have to ask what the point of
                      purchasing them will be. Reason I wanted offical fate chips is so I
                      could have clay chips without shelling out for a set of 300+, the
                      minimum for most companies that custom make chips. No matter how high-
                      grade the plastic is, it's still plastic, lightweight, harmful to the
                      environment and just doesn't conjure the same feel as clay.

                      As for set contents, spares are a good idea since the quick bad guy
                      wound system uses chips to keep track of things. I'd personally like
                      a 100 chip set, normal fate pot, 9 legend (yellow please not
                      purple!!!), 1 black and 5 spare of each colour for the inevitable
                      breakages. For a set like this in a box, I'd easily shell out £25-£35
                      ($40-50).

                      Paul

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 10, 2003
                        so far out of 50 different companies for a set of 90 clay chips in box the manufacturing cost alone is $60, let alone diestamping and production, can you see my point here, but don't worry, we will try and do you all proud.

                        Paul Page <funny_guy_666@...> wrote:If they're gonna be plastic I have to ask what the point of

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 10, 2003
                          Thanks for posting back. I have to admit to not having thoroughly read the legend chip rules, I think that I may need to do so, and maybe rethink my strategy from there. However, I know that the core rulebook talks about giving out chips for bounty, which I don't do, I award the players experience points instead. I also make them convert any chips they don't use into bounty, as I don't allow them to stockpile chips. I know you can only stockpile 10 at any one time, but I had a player once who had 5 blue chips, in my view, that is unfair to the other players, it significantly reduces their chances of pulling the better chips. The only addendum to that rule, is that they can carry over the legend chip if they still have it by the end of the session. Can you remind me where I can find the black/legend chip rules. I know it has been mentioned here before, but I stupidly deleted the email, and can't check the website at the moment due to problems with my web connection.

                          Bex
                          Aglam Follows-The-Sun

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 11, 2003
                            At 07:41 AM 6/11/2003 +0100, you wrote:
                            >can carry over the legend chip if they still have it by the end of the
                            >session. Can you remind me where I can find the black/legend chip rules.
                            >I know it has been mentioned here before, but I stupidly deleted the
                            >email, and can't check the website at the moment due to problems with my
                            >web connection.
                            >
                            >Bex
                            >Aglam Follows-The-Sun

                            Here you go, Bex...

                            Bo

                            ====
[...]

                          • Colin Braddock
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 17, 2004
                              Me, I never have more than one Legend Chip in the pot either. These
                              things have to be EARNED, Goddammit! So rare have been the occasions
                              that my posse have drawn one that the very act itself has taken on an
                              almost religious significance in some players' eyes. Which should
                              tell you all you need to know about my current group....