Re: [Deadlands uk] Getting' your party together

  • jon.scholes@grattan.co.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2003
      Never been a fan of that, even though in my current adventure, just for a
      giggle, the Nun and the Whore are actual blood sisters. My philosophy runs
      along the lines of a small environment that they cannot escape until they
      have solved plot or banded together. Like i've said before i always like a
      good train story. make everybody come up with a reason to be travelling
      west and then put them out of Denver station on the denver pacific line.
      that way you're heading through neutral territory and can go any way your
      imagination takes you.

      A train, a riverboat, a jailcell (tip of the hat to chris there), even a
      small town, make them all stay in adjacent rooms in the only hotel. one way
      of doing it was actually because of half of my posse not showing up until a
      few sessions in. one was a bounty hunter who's trails collided at scene 2,
      so joined the band, and another was trapped in a cellar of a town that was
      wrecked by the big nasty in scene 3.

      Anyway, hope that helps, if not, tough.

      Jon

      "nategarth"
      <nategarth@yahoo. To: Deadlandsuk@yahoogroups.com
      com> cc:
      Subject: [Deadlands uk] Getting' your party together
      29/04/03 16:26
      Please respond to
      Deadlandsuk

      I no what you are thinkin' doesn't this guy ever stop. ummmm...NO
      I was wondering about the Marshals out there. What do you do to get
      your PC's to become a posse at the start of an adventure or do you
      just say, "You all know each other?"

      Thanks,

      Ng

    • Bex
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2003
        I have to say, I normally give the player characters a reason to
        come together, based on their background, and the motivations I know
        of to start the game. I think as a referee you have a responsibility
        to give the player characters a reason to speak to each other, and
        to carry on working together, and that the motivation should never
        be "because the plot says I have to" I say to all the people I game
        with, don't ever play the plot, play the character.

        I would normally create maybe 1 or 2 scenes with the PCs in the same
        place, be it a saloon, or a riverboat or whatever, so they are in
        the same room, but don't necessarily know each other, and throw in
        some sort of common event. Be it a murder, or something like that.
        So the sherriff turns up and arrests everybody cos he wants them
        questioned or something like that. If a player is being particularly
        awkward, I tend to find that throwing something particularly
        personal at them helps. Maybe the murdered party is a member of
        their family, that they thought was already dead, or maybe they
        don't see the same thing everybody else sees. I have even once got a
        party together, by getting them to try to kill one another. Again,
        it had to do with starting them all off in one place with a common
        enemy. Trick is, not to make it sound cliche. Best way is to put in
        something for each character personally. Tell them why they are
        where they are, and then they have a goal to achieve. That way, when
        you introduce the other PCs into the scene, they have something they
        need to get done, and players usually motivate themselves from there.

        Bex
        Aglam Follows-The-Sun