New Marshal advice

  • grant
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 17, 2011
      I'm a real newbie to all rpg games and have only Gm'd once, and looking for advice and tips to running one off games. So far the first game of deadlands went fairly smoothly but we only got half way through, the game that i thought was going to be a quick 3hr session with the group (based in Falkirk btw) never came to a conclusion. Game slots are few and far between so the question is how do you go about planning the story and Gming the game to fit to a time scale.

      all advice is welcome as I'm a real greenhorn for both deadlands and gming.

      cheers

      Grant
    • Darthrose
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 18, 2011
        Some general suggestions:
        Make sure the group is ready to play when you start. Make sure any eating is done, players have dice or anything else they need out. Don't let conversations sidetrack the game. I used to have a player who loved to de-rail the game with side conversations. And then get mad when you called him on it or wouldn't let his comments effect the game.
        Some more specific suggestions. I realize you are new, but have realistic expectations about where the party will get to in one night. It WILL come with time. Also, "storyboard" unimportant items, again some thing that will come with time. Same player I mentioned above wanted to role play EVERYTHING, including mundane purchases like trail supplies. Or talk to every NPC the posse came into contact with. I eventually started using a technique I learned from another GM. If the players start going down a road that (A) isn't important or (B) non plot related, you can make some sort of gesture or comment letting them know. This is one I usually DON'T suggest to new GMs, since your players will use it as a "lie detector" to quickly find anything important in your game.
        Hope these help!

        --- In Deadlandsuk@yahoogroups.com, "grant" <darachstone@...> wrote:

        > I'm a real newbie to all rpg games and have only Gm'd once, and looking for advice and tips to running one off games. So far the first game of deadlands went fairly smoothly but we only got half way through, the game that i thought was going to be a quick 3hr session with the group (based in Falkirk btw) never came to a conclusion. Game slots are few and far between so the question is how do you go about planning the story and Gming the game to fit to a time scale.
        >
        > all advice is welcome as I'm a real greenhorn for both deadlands and gming.
        >
        > cheers
        >
        > Grant

      • grant
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 19, 2011
          Thanks

          this was probably the main reason that the game became too long as the players were persuing area's that wern't important to the story and probably due to my lack of experience I induldged them to keep the game moving. hopefully I can get another game going soon and will perhaps use the one shots from pinnacle as a base instead of trying to adapt novels.

          On a seperate note more on the swex game mechanics. When Dueling and the test of wills Face off, it says this isn't a normal test of wills, so do the players use their attributes of smart and spirit or do they need to have taken intimidation and taunt as a skill so if not they will roll a d4-2.

          Not sure if there is much activity on this forum but i will post up some pictures of my sculpts and other stuff later on.

          cheers

          Grant

          --- In Deadlandsuk@yahoogroups.com, "Darthrose" <drphibes@...> wrote:

          > Some general suggestions:
          > Make sure the group is ready to play when you start. Make sure any eating is done, players have dice or anything else they need out. Don't let conversations sidetrack the game. I used to have a player who loved to de-rail the game with side conversations. And then get mad when you called him on it or wouldn't let his comments effect the game.
          > Some more specific suggestions. I realize you are new, but have realistic expectations about where the party will get to in one night. It WILL come with time. Also, "storyboard" unimportant items, again some thing that will come with time. Same player I mentioned above wanted to role play EVERYTHING, including mundane purchases like trail supplies. Or talk to every NPC the posse came into contact with. I eventually started using a technique I learned from another GM. If the players start going down a road that (A) isn't important or (B) non plot related, you can make some sort of gesture or comment letting them know. This is one I usually DON'T suggest to new GMs, since your players will use it as a "lie detector" to quickly find anything important in your game.
          > Hope these help!
          >
          > --- In Deadlandsuk@yahoogroups.com, "grant" <darachstone@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm a real newbie to all rpg games and have only Gm'd once, and looking for advice and tips to running one off games. So far the first game of deadlands went fairly smoothly but we only got half way through, the game that i thought was going to be a quick 3hr session with the group (based in Falkirk btw) never came to a conclusion. Game slots are few and far between so the question is how do you go about planning the story and Gming the game to fit to a time scale.
          > >
          > > all advice is welcome as I'm a real greenhorn for both deadlands and gming.
          > >
          > > cheers
          > >
          > > Grant

        • Andrzej Kowalczyk
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 19, 2011
            Hi Grant.

            It's been ages since i played DL (prefer oldschool than reloaded) but as far as i recall, yes, you take all modyfing atributes ino consideration at dueling. Afterall, that's what they are for.
            I might be wrong though... i'm a but rusty these days.
            Havn't play for years, since my usual posse is far away, but in the 'good old days we used to play an almost 2years long campaign (once or twice a week, 5-4hrs at a time).
            All im left with now is just me and my buddy. We are located in Glasgow so I can see a possibility here ;)

            Have fun ;)
            Andy

            On 19 Jun 2011, at 21:06, "grant" <darachstone@...> wrote:

            Thanks

            this was probably the main reason that the game became too long as the players were persuing area's that wern't important to the story and probably due to my lack of experience I induldged them to keep the game moving. hopefully I can get another game going soon and will perhaps use the one shots from pinnacle as a base instead of trying to adapt novels.

            On a seperate note more on the swex game mechanics. When Dueling and the test of wills Face off, it says this isn't a normal test of wills, so do the players use their attributes of smart and spirit or do they need to have taken intimidation and taunt as a skill so if not they will roll a d4-2.

            Not sure if there is much activity on this forum but i will post up some pictures of my sculpts and other stuff later on.

            cheers

            Grant

            --- In Deadlandsuk@yahoogroups.com, "Darthrose" <drphibes@...> wrote:

            > Some general suggestions:
            > Make sure the group is ready to play when you start. Make sure any eating is done, players have dice or anything else they need out. Don't let conversations sidetrack the game. I used to have a player who loved to de-rail the game with side conversations. And then get mad when you called him on it or wouldn't let his comments effect the game.
            > Some more specific suggestions. I realize you are new, but have realistic expectations about where the party will get to in one night. It WILL come with time. Also, "storyboard" unimportant items, again some thing that will come with time. Same player I mentioned above wanted to role play EVERYTHING, including mundane purchases like trail supplies. Or talk to every NPC the posse came into contact with. I eventually started using a technique I learned from another GM. If the players start going down a road that (A) isn't important or (B) non plot related, you can make some sort of gesture or comment letting them know. This is one I usually DON'T suggest to new GMs, since your players will use it as a "lie detector" to quickly find anything important in your game.
            > Hope these help!
            >
            > --- In Deadlandsuk@yahoogroups.com, "grant" <darachstone@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm a real newbie to all rpg games and have only Gm'd once, and looking for advice and tips to running one off games. So far the first game of deadlands went fairly smoothly but we only got half way through, the game that i thought was going to be a quick 3hr session with the group (based in Falkirk btw) never came to a conclusion. Game slots are few and far between so the question is how do you go about planning the story and Gming the game to fit to a time scale.
            > >
            > > all advice is welcome as I'm a real greenhorn for both deadlands and gming.
            > >
            > > cheers
            > >
            > > Grant

          • Peter King
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 19, 2011

               Hey There,

              The forum hasn't seen much activity for a while but most people on here are sill very active on the Deadlands circuit and it doesn't take much to get em riled up.... Welcome to the forum..., Where abouts are you based pardner?
              Peter King

            • grant
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 20, 2011
                I'm based in West Lothian, Scotland. I usually play with the falkirk RPG group and they usually run DnD games as well as a few other games like savage SLA industries, all great games as well.

                But to me there is nothing finer than a good old western showdown, couple this with a few zombies then i'm in heaven.

                Having run only one game and yet to actually play I'd love to here of any games going on in the U.K whether in clubs or at shows that i could possibly attend.

                I toyed with putting on a demo game at Carronade (falkirks war game show) A Quick and a Dead game using the whitewash buildings and a load of my own sculpts, but time wouldn't permit it, maybe next year?