Deadlands and Deadlands Reloaded

  • Steven Cook
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 18, 2005
      Howdy Pardners :-)

      I'm very new to this system having just gotten the PDF versions of the Players and Marshall
      books (non-d20).

      I 'd like to ask which of the other books you folks would suggest, I get next as I'm running on
      a limited budget at the moment hence buying PDF ;-/ rather than hardcopy!

      Also is the reloaded series like a new version, and if it is should I hold off and get that
      instead?

      Any info on the above topics appreciated .

      Keep Well,
      - Steven.
    • Butch Rosenbalm
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 20, 2005
        Howdy and welcome to the DL,
        I would suggest the following books: Rascals Varmits and Critters and RVC
        2, Hexaracana and then maybe Law Dogs. Then the more specialty books for
        ideas and "specialty classes". Meaning the Men In Black Dusters for Agency,
        Lone Stars for Texas Rangers. Hexarcana adds lots of "spells" for Blessed
        and Shamans and Hucksters. Depending on how you are planning your game, you
        might consider it first. RVC is the book for monsters and such, the "monster
        manual" if you come from D&D. I personally like RVC 2 better for the
        individuals whom are in it. (you'll have to see so I don't spoil).
        I've heard different things for DL Reloaded. I think it's going to answer
        some long held questions, probably have some new rules and what not. But on
        this, I could be wrong. Again, if you come from old D&D, think Unearthed
        Arcana.

        Marshall Rosenbalm

        Howdy Pardners :-)

        > I'm very new to this system having just gotten the PDF versions of the
        > Players and Marshall
        > books (non-d20).
        >
        > I 'd like to ask which of the other books you folks would suggest, I get
        > next as I'm running on
        > a limited budget at the moment hence buying PDF ;-/ rather than hardcopy!
        >
        > Also is the reloaded series like a new version, and if it is should I hold
        > off and get that
        > instead?
        >
        > Any info on the above topics appreciated .
        >
        > Keep Well,
        > - Steven.
        >
        > --
        > What do you see when you're in the dark.... when the demons come for you?

      • Jon Padgett
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 20, 2005
          Hi,

          Thats an interesting selection. Personally I agree about the Hexarcana, but would never recommend anyone tried Lawdogs as I found it largely useless. As for either RVC book, they are fun, but not exactly essential.

          What I would suggest (And I can't remember if you said you already had it) would be Book of the Dead to along with Hexarcana. That should keep you covered for most types of character archetypes. The others (Texas Rangers, etc.) are fun, but not exactly essential.

          After Hexarcana & Book o the dead, the next good "books" to get are the "world books" for places like The Maze, City O' Gloom, Lost Angels, Doomtown, etc. These are wonderful sources for plot hooks and add some great flavour to your games.

          I hope thats helpful.
          Jon.

          Message: 1

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 24, 2005
            Hi. This is my first post here so if this is a bit wierd, I can get it
            out of the way now...

            Personally, I found hexarcana to be one of the worst source books I've
            read for deadland. The "extra powers" were all very weak, in my
            opinion, and felt like they'd been all shoved into this book for not
            making it into the main arcane background sourse books. It also had
            very little background info on any of the character types, other than
            metal mages, which i found unnessisary/downright silly.
            I agree that law dogs is not all that nessisary, unless you plan on
            having alot of mundane plot, as it's a big book o' guns and famous
            people who use them.
            I'd recomend playing with what you've got for the moment, and decide
            what you need based on how the game starts going. If you like indian
            stuff, get ghost dancers, if huxters are important, get Huxters and
            Hexes...
          • Colin Braddock
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 23, 2007
              --- In Deadlandsuk@yahoogroups.com, Jon Padgett <jon_padgett@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Thats an interesting selection. Personally I agree about the
              Hexarcana, but would never recommend anyone tried Lawdogs as I found
              it largely useless. As for either RVC book, they are fun, but not
              exactly essential.

              > What I would suggest (And I can't remember if you said you already
              had it) would be Book of the Dead to along with Hexarcana. That
              should keep you covered for most types of character archetypes. The
              others (Texas Rangers, etc.) are fun, but not exactly essential.

              > After Hexarcana & Book o the dead, the next good "books" to get are
              the "world books" for places like The Maze, City O' Gloom, Lost
              Angels, Doomtown, etc. These are wonderful sources for plot hooks and
              add some great flavour to your games.

              > I hope thats helpful.
              > Jon.
              >

              > Message: 1
              > Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:22:26 -0400
              > From: Butch Rosenbalm
              > Subject: Deadlands and Deadlands Reloaded
              >
              > Howdy and welcome to the DL,
              > I would suggest the following books: Rascals Varmits and Critters
              and RVC
              > 2, Hexaracana and then maybe Law Dogs. Then the more specialty
              books for
              > ideas and "specialty classes". Meaning the Men In Black Dusters for
              Agency,
              > Lone Stars for Texas Rangers. Hexarcana adds lots of "spells" for
              Blessed
              > and Shamans and Hucksters. Depending on how you are planning your
              game, you
              > might consider it first. RVC is the book for monsters and such,
              the "monster
              > manual" if you come from D&D. I personally like RVC 2 better for
              the
              > individuals whom are in it. (you'll have to see so I don't spoil).
              > I've heard different things for DL Reloaded. I think it's going to
              answer
              > some long held questions, probably have some new rules and what
              not. But on
              > this, I could be wrong. Again, if you come from old D&D, think
              Unearthed
              > Arcana.
              >
              > Marshall Rosenbalm

              Well, for my sins I went out & bought D:R, and all I can say is it's
              a good place to start if you've got a group that's new to gaming in
              general, but not to Deadlands in particular. Actually got to play a
              game of it (Me? Play?! Imagine that....), and the whole time I was
              just pining for the old orange books. The Marshal tried, but once I
              saw that hexslingin' had been boiled down to a single die-roll (no
              finesse!), I tuned out. That wasn't the only problem I had with it
              either. But I could go on and on....
            • jasen
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 27, 2007
                the problem i am seeing is a rehash of old rules in new books,
                expanding and in some cases rendering obsolete some of the older
                books. a good example is Law Dogs. it covers rules for Rangers,
                Agency/Pinkertons, and the Hexslinger Archetype. well, those rules
                were rendered obsolete when Lone Stars, The Agency: MiBD came out. the
                books have the exact same rules in them, and even the Hexslinger
                write-up was redone into 'Shootist' (same hexes, different names). so
                for "class" books, you dont need all 3 for lawmen. the 2 specific
                books are the most updated, i think Law Dogs is 1st Edition.