1250Re: Deadlands and Deadlands Reloaded

  • Colin Braddock
    Jun 23, 2007
      --- In Deadlandsuk@yahoogroups.com, Jon Padgett <jon_padgett@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Thats an interesting selection. Personally I agree about the
      Hexarcana, but would never recommend anyone tried Lawdogs as I found
      it largely useless. As for either RVC book, they are fun, but not
      exactly essential.

      > What I would suggest (And I can't remember if you said you already
      had it) would be Book of the Dead to along with Hexarcana. That
      should keep you covered for most types of character archetypes. The
      others (Texas Rangers, etc.) are fun, but not exactly essential.

      > After Hexarcana & Book o the dead, the next good "books" to get are
      the "world books" for places like The Maze, City O' Gloom, Lost
      Angels, Doomtown, etc. These are wonderful sources for plot hooks and
      add some great flavour to your games.

      > I hope thats helpful.
      > Jon.
      >

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:22:26 -0400
      > From: Butch Rosenbalm
      > Subject: Deadlands and Deadlands Reloaded
      >
      > Howdy and welcome to the DL,
      > I would suggest the following books: Rascals Varmits and Critters
      and RVC
      > 2, Hexaracana and then maybe Law Dogs. Then the more specialty
      books for
      > ideas and "specialty classes". Meaning the Men In Black Dusters for
      Agency,
      > Lone Stars for Texas Rangers. Hexarcana adds lots of "spells" for
      Blessed
      > and Shamans and Hucksters. Depending on how you are planning your
      game, you
      > might consider it first. RVC is the book for monsters and such,
      the "monster
      > manual" if you come from D&D. I personally like RVC 2 better for
      the
      > individuals whom are in it. (you'll have to see so I don't spoil).
      > I've heard different things for DL Reloaded. I think it's going to
      answer
      > some long held questions, probably have some new rules and what
      not. But on
      > this, I could be wrong. Again, if you come from old D&D, think
      Unearthed
      > Arcana.
      >
      > Marshall Rosenbalm

      Well, for my sins I went out & bought D:R, and all I can say is it's
      a good place to start if you've got a group that's new to gaming in
      general, but not to Deadlands in particular. Actually got to play a
      game of it (Me? Play?! Imagine that....), and the whole time I was
      just pining for the old orange books. The Marshal tried, but once I
      saw that hexslingin' had been boiled down to a single die-roll (no
      finesse!), I tuned out. That wasn't the only problem I had with it
      either. But I could go on and on....
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic