from the project bench: hopper toppers!

  • Randall L. Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2008
      in the 70's and 80's, both chessie and conrail atempted something new
      that failed face first. both railroads put fiberglass "toppers" on
      100 ton coal hoppers to make makeshift grain hoppers. it never caught
      on. in the 80's mckeen made a version in HO but never was an N scale
      version available.................well, until now. basically what it
      did was sent the mckeen version to a company in california and they
      will scan, shrink and rapaid prototype me masters to make molds off
      of for the new N scale version of the "hopper topper". even though
      not widely popular, it was still in use during the era's we model and
      i'm sure we'll sell a few on ebay. once again, adam and i stive to
      create the strange and unusual because....well....we are the strange
      and unusual. it's one of those projects that big companies would
      never attempt yet is perfect for a small time resin caster like
      myself. i should have everything back within 2 weeks, i'll post
      pictures as the project continues forward.

      other projects on the work benck are still in progress. the anti-
      vandal panels for the MT open autoracks are still looking like a go.
      it's finding the time to perfect the look which being a personal
      project doesn't take high priority at the moment. i just finished the
      decals on the ICG 86 foot grenville and i'm puting the finishing
      touches on it within the next week.

      work on the layout is zero and will be for this year. we'll set up
      the layout a couple of times just to make sure everything still works
      for the november train show. the economy and lack of space gave us no
      option other than ditching any efforts to work on the layout.

      that's it for the update. we'll post more as time allows or my mom
      says i can.

      i should have never turned off those darn parental controls :-)

      randall
    • Adam
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2008
        Just as a slight correction to Randall's Hopper Topper story I
        wanted to point out that they weren't a "failure"... they were
        really only meant as a temporary solution to handle the record grain
        harvests of the late 1970's. It was cheaper to clean out surplus
        coal hoppers and put fiberglass tops on them than to buy new covered
        hoppers. Adam
        A.

        --- In DaytonNDPendentNScale@yahoogroups.com, "Randall L. Smith"
        <ihscoutfan@...> wrote:

        > in the 70's and 80's, both chessie and conrail atempted something
        new
        > that failed face first. both railroads put fiberglass "toppers" on
        > 100 ton coal hoppers to make makeshift grain hoppers. it never
        caught
        > on. in the 80's mckeen made a version in HO but never was an N
        scale
        > version available.................well, until now. basically what
        it
        > did was sent the mckeen version to a company in california and
        they
        > will scan, shrink and rapaid prototype me masters to make molds
        off
        > of for the new N scale version of the "hopper topper". even though
        > not widely popular, it was still in use during the era's we model
        and
        > i'm sure we'll sell a few on ebay. once again, adam and i stive to
        > create the strange and unusual because....well....we are the
        strange
        > and unusual. it's one of those projects that big companies would
        > never attempt yet is perfect for a small time resin caster like
        > myself. i should have everything back within 2 weeks, i'll post
        > pictures as the project continues forward.
        >
        > other projects on the work benck are still in progress. the anti-
        > vandal panels for the MT open autoracks are still looking like a
        go.
        > it's finding the time to perfect the look which being a personal
        > project doesn't take high priority at the moment. i just finished
        the
        > decals on the ICG 86 foot grenville and i'm puting the finishing
        > touches on it within the next week.
        >
        > work on the layout is zero and will be for this year. we'll set up
        > the layout a couple of times just to make sure everything still
        works
        > for the november train show. the economy and lack of space gave us
        no
        > option other than ditching any efforts to work on the layout.
        >
        > that's it for the update. we'll post more as time allows or my mom
        > says i can.
        >
        > i should have never turned off those darn parental controls :-)
        >
        > randall

      • Randall L. Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2008
          so, what you are saying is that the hopper topper's were not recieved
          well. sounds like my last relationship. that was a true failure.

          randall