SlideShow (etc.) under Vista

  • Brian Madsen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2007
      I've just uploaded an image into this group's Files area showing what
      SlideShow looks like when running under Vista. As you can see, Vista
      draws a frame around the application that's much thicker than we're
      used to on XP, and it crops SlideShow's scroll bars. I've added a red
      outline to the image I've uploaded, so you can see more clearly what
      I'm talking about.

      Interestingly, Image Viewer does NOT get drawn with a thick frame, and
      even when you right-click on an image to bring horizontal and vertical
      scroll bars onto the window, it still looks fine, and there are no
      surprises.

      ShowMan is also fine, although the surprise there is that the title
      bar does NOT adopt the Vista look, nor the Windows XP look either.
      The minimize, maximize and close buttons look like they do when you
      select "Windows Classic" as your desktop theme. In a moment, I'll
      upload an image of that too. I've also highlighted the title bar with
      a red rectangle to draw attention to what I'm talking about.

      These aren't gigantic problems, of course, but I thought you might
      want to hear about them.

      Brian
      -=^=-
    • Brian Madsen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2007
        Interestingly, I've just noticed that I can cause the same problem
        with SlideShow under XP by changing the "Active Window Border" property.

        With XP, right click on the desktop. Select Properties from the popup
        menu. Find the "Appearance" tab on the "Display Properties" dialog.
        Find the "Advanced" button on that tab. In the "Item" dropdown list
        box, select "Active Window Border". Next to it, choose something much
        larger than "1", like, say, "6" for the "Size" of the Active Window
        Border. OK, OK.

        Now bring up SlideShow, and load enough images into its client area
        that a scroll bar appears. Notice that the scroll bar is partially
        obscured by the non-client area's window frame, in the same way as my
        Vista screen shot shows.

        I know, I know -- why would anybody pick such a thick Active Window
        Border? But Vista does by default. (In fact, I've just checked --
        interestingly, that thick border is what Vista calls "1", so you can't
        make it any skinnier than it already is!) It's up to you of course,
        but I'm guessing you'll probably want to address this before Vista is
        generally available.

        Brian
        -=^=-
      • David J Taylor
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 26, 2007
          Brian Madsen wrote:
          []
          > These aren't gigantic problems, of course, but I thought you might
          > want to hear about them.
          >
          > Brian

          Thanks, Brian, much appreciated.

          Unless the functioning of the programs is upset, I will not be making any
          changes in the short term. However, the comparison of the two programs
          will be helpful when I do come to update the software.

          Cheers,
          David
          Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
          Email: davidtaylor@...