RE: Songwriting Class

  • Ken Yavit
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
      Ron said>"Hi all, Dave Carter here. Welcome to my songwriting class. The
      key to songwriting is to squeeze as many words as possible into as small a
      space as possible, and try to never repeat a chorus. Oh, and make Tracy
      sing the complicated stuff."

      Ron, you got most of it. <He he>

      But, what-nothing about keeping a dream journal and getting all your songs
      from your dreams? Important part. How do ya teach THAT?

      Ken Yavit, Folk Music Director
      Transitions Radio Magazine
      www.transradio.com
    • Rongrittz@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
        >> But, what-nothing about keeping a dream journal and getting all your songs from your dreams? Important part. How do ya teach THAT? <<

        "Hi all, Dave here again. In order to get the kind of dreams that result in songs like 'I Go Like the Raven,' in which Tracy sprouts bird wings and bird legs and dances on a hill of skulls, I recommend that you do what I do, and drink anchovy milkshakes before going to bed."

        RG
      • Terry Woodburn
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
          Rongrittz@... wrote:

          > I recommend that you do what I do, and drink anchovy milkshakes before going to bed."

          Ron, Ken, Will, all

          Nice to hear young Dave channeling through you in some mighty accurate and peculiar ways, Ron. The class is great, Dave has been plenty patient as we yammed, hemmed, sputtered our way through the initial "Western Cowboy Ballad" song-dream building exercise. Got it up and
          running, but I think our class is a bit, er, slower than some previous ones. Will bring highway pylon to wear on head for dunce-boy corner sitting next week.

          Dave has greased the wheels in thinking about his course over the year and came organized and loaded for bear. Good stuff, great technical tips, strongly encouraged the dream journal-buy a nice book, he sez. He ran through some of his stuff in his journal, it sounded like an
          average dream journal from a rather fertile mind with a great ability for quick recall, he also jots down line ideas, wordplay, etc. Then I think it is used as a template for the real songwriting work in another book.

          Was really nice to hear Dave pick apart "Elvis Presley" and "Farewell to St. Delores", explaining how those songs evolved directly from dreams and the waking dream state.

          Class is packed with snippit-holics, those of us with bookloads of one or two verses, or chorus, or lines who can't seem to complete the song task. His technique of getting you to try and turn off the damn TV, (and lock the kids in the closet with a box of Cheerios) to somehow
          find a meditative environment is so vital to the task. And taking gaffer's tape to silence the inner critic, too! He really stressed that, there is plenty of time for self analysis and editing and folks will eventually rip your song apart like the weak gazelle, anyway, so
          WRITE.

          It is rather difficult quashing the inner critic while playing a song in front of Dave and some other fine songwriters in the class, but I guess you just dive in with shaking legs and nervous quivering vibrato. I may need a diaper for my first song, but that's a cheap,
          relatively discrete option.

          TW