Tracy Grammer Concert, New Hope, PA 11-5 - Set List

  • Ken Yavit
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2011
      Here's the set list from Tracy's Concert on Saturday night at the New Hope
      Winery.

      First Set

      Blue Wing

      Hard To Make It - I saw Dave & Tracy perform this, and it was on Flower of
      Avalon, but Tracy said the version

      on the new CD "Little Blue Egg" "will break your heart"

      Shadows of Evangeline - very good arrangement with percussion and base
      accompaniment

      Farewell To Fiddler's Rim

      Ordinary Town

      Better Way - Another from "Little Blue Egg." Tracy said that when Dave went
      to Nashville in 1995, they told him that his songs had too many

      words. Dave thought this was the "perfect country song" UNTIL, Tracy said,
      the muse came to him and gave him the 4th

      verse, which mentions death. Of course, Dave was ever meditating on the
      subject of death. Tracy said that through the first

      3 verses, it's a pretty good country song, but when the 4th verse gets into
      death, she said "Oh no. They're never gonna go for that."

      Great story of meeting Dave in Portland, OR, and said the following was the
      first song she ever heard Dave sing

      Gun Metal Eyes

      Tanglewood Tree - the drummer Rob Schnell persuaded Tracy to get this back
      into her set, and she insisted that he play guitar and sing it (of course,
      she sang the counterpoint and played violin). Great rendition of an old
      classic.

      Second Set

      Great story about July 18 & 19, 2002. D&T are rehearsing for their upcoming
      performance at Falcon Ridge the next weekend.

      They were in a brownstone in Brooklyn, NY with Byron Isaacs and George
      Javori, who were in Joan Baez's band when D&T

      toured with her. Dave had just written a new song the day before, and
      convinced Tracy to "try it out" with George & Byron.

      They played it twice, and George taped it so he could work up an arrangement
      for the Falcon Ridge performance.

      The next day, Dave died, and Tracy called George and made sure that the tape
      of the new song was safe.

      This was the last song Dave wrote, "Phantom Doll"

      Phantom Doll

      Thirty Bad Summers In Tillman County - another song Rob persuaded Tracy to
      bring back.

      She had to have the chords in front of her for the performance

      Four Seasons In A Day - a Crowded House number

      The Mountain - with a great percussion arrangement by Rob that led into the
      song

      Gypsy Rose - a nice slow arrangement

      Dirty Little Town

      Nice story about the debut of Gentle Arms of Eden

      Gentle Arms of Eden

      Verdant Mile

      Encore

      The Monk - a poem by a neighbor that Jim & Tracy put music, then passed
      around to several other people who

      added bass and percussion tracks. It's about Cain and Abel

      Pancho & Lefty - solo performance by Tracy to close out the evening. (This
      was often the last number in D&T's sets)

      Ken Yavit

      Glenside, PA

    • nbretvick
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2011
        Ken: Thanks for the excellent report, and recounting Tracy's stories. Got me thinking it has been too long since I saw Tracy perform. Hope she gets out Seattle way, soon!

        Neil

        --- In Dave-and-Tracy@yahoogroups.com, Ken Yavit <KenY7744@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Thirty Bad Summers In Tillman County - another song Rob persuaded Tracy to
        > bring back.
        >
        > She had to have the chords in front of her for the performance
        >
        > Four Seasons In A Day - a Crowded House number
        >
        > The Mountain - with a great percussion arrangement by Rob that led into the
        > song
        >
        > Gypsy Rose - a nice slow arrangement
        >
        > Dirty Little Town
        >
        > Nice story about the debut of Gentle Arms of Eden
        >
        > Gentle Arms of Eden
        >
        > Verdant Mile
        >

        > Encore
        >

        > The Monk - a poem by a neighbor that Jim & Tracy put music, then passed
        > around to several other people who
        >
        > added bass and percussion tracks. It's about Cain and Abel
        >
        > Pancho & Lefty - solo performance by Tracy to close out the evening. (This
        > was often the last number in D&T's sets)

      • Jessica Byers
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2011
          She is doing some shows in Oregon after Thanksgiving; not Seattle, I
          don't think, but worth a drive.....

          Jess

        • nbretvick
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 12, 2011
            Thanks, Jess. I may try to travel on down. Off-topic, but I will be seeing Antje Duvekot here in Seattle on the 20th. She also hits Portland on the 17th I see. I know she has some fans around here.

            Neil

            --- In Dave-and-Tracy@yahoogroups.com, Jessica Byers <jessbyers13@...> wrote:

            > She is doing some shows in Oregon after Thanksgiving; not Seattle, I
            > don't think, but worth a drive.....
            >
            > Jess

          • Jill Hanson
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 27 6:15 AM
              Lined up at 4:30 p.m. to see Tracy Grammer at the Writer's Night show at the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville last night.  We were so grateful to have her make a Nashville stop.  The lineup for the evening included a good bit of contemporary country music -- not our music of choice -- so we patiently waited until Tracy took the stage.  Just Tracy and her guitar, and the 3-song set was wonderful:  Ordinary Town, Hard to Make It, and Gypsy Rose.  A standout performance.  Catch a show this year if you can!

              Jill Hanson