Happy Birthday to Dave

  • nbretvick
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 13, 2011
      On Dave's birthday I thought I'd post a question to the group:

      Which one of his songs do you most closely associate him with?

      My first choice would be Gentle Arms of Eden. Having arrived late to the party, Drum Hat Buddha was the first album of the duo I bought, and this song just really grabbed me, and is the first song I think of when Dave comes to mind. The song ssys it all in 3 minutes and four verses and a chorus!

      Happy birthday, Dave!
      Neil
    • nbretvick
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 13, 2011
        I found a bit of irony in this - as I was composing the message below, two middle age men, evangelists of some sort, came to my door, apparently to sell me a bible. Told them I already had one.

        --- In Dave-and-Tracy@yahoogroups.com, "nbretvick" <nbretvick@...> wrote:

        > On Dave's birthday I thought I'd post a question to the group:
        >
        > Which one of his songs do you most closely associate him with?
        >
        > My first choice would be Gentle Arms of Eden. Having arrived late to the party, Drum Hat Buddha was the first album of the duo I bought, and this song just really grabbed me, and is the first song I think of when Dave comes to mind. The song ssys it all in 3 minutes and four verses and a chorus!
        >
        > Happy birthday, Dave!
        > Neil

      • jeffS
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 13, 2011
          Happytown for me. Apparently today is Alfred Hitchcock's birthday as well. The thought of Alfred and Dave collaborating on a musical just blows my mind ...

        • Elise Fischer
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 13, 2011
            Gentle Soldier of My Soul

            That's who he was and continues to be for me. Happy Birthday, David. I miss you so very much.

            To: Dave-and-Tracy@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 13, 2011
              wow, so many to choose from. When I Go was the first song I heard Dave and Tracy play live in the studio about 3 ft away from me, and it totally blew me away. Speechless is not good on the radio. lol.

              But I find Farewell to St. Dolores especially poignant. --Clytia

              still think of him at least once a week.

              On Aug 13, 2011, at 11:53 AM, Elise Fischer wrote:

              > Gentle Soldier of My Soul
              >
              > That's who he was and continues to be for me. Happy Birthday, David. I miss you so very much.
              >

              > To: Dave-and-Tracy@yahoogroups.com
              > From: nbretvick@...
              > Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 17:36:39 +0000
              > Subject: [Dave-and-Tracy] Happy Birthday to Dave
              >

              > On Dave's birthday I thought I'd post a question to the group:
              >
              > Which one of his songs do you most closely associate him with?
              >
              > My first choice would be Gentle Arms of Eden. Having arrived late to the party, Drum Hat Buddha was the first album of the duo I bought, and this song just really grabbed me, and is the first song I think of when Dave comes to mind. The song ssys it all in 3 minutes and four verses and a chorus!
              >
              > Happy birthday, Dave!
              > Neil

              "If there was no music, I would not get through." -Shawn Colvin

              "Heaven's Bar'n Grill" Fri 9-noon
              KZSC 88.1 fm
              Santa Cruz, CA

              listen or view playlists at http://kzsc.org

            • kate chagoll
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 13, 2011
                "When I Go" because not only was this the first song of his that I ever heard but because it seems too appropriate now.  As I listened to it for the first time at The Bite of Oregon, I was so moved I almost fell off my bench...and, I knew he was a genius, and a gentle soul...both so true.  I will always miss him and honor him.

                Frank's choice is "When I Go" as well....and "The Mountain"

                Peace,

                Kate

                Kate Chagoll
                11361 Pine Valley Dr.
                Wellington, FL 33414

              • Nancy Mahoney
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 13, 2011
                  In 2000, my daughter walked in from the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival and before she said hello, told me to sit down and listen.  She put on "When I Go" and my jaw dropped.  Then she played "Kate and the Ghost of Lost Love"...when I  heard Tracy come in for the first time in that song, I burst into tears.  Those 2 are the ones I always associate first with Dave.  But then with all the other brilliant and moving songs, it would be hard to decide.  "Elvis Presley"?  "Ordinary Town"?   "Winter When She Goes"?   They all get more interesting the more I hear them.
                  Missing you, Dave.
                  Nancy

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 14, 2011
                    > On Dave's birthday I thought I'd post a question to the group:
                    >
                    > Which one of his songs do you most closely associate him with?

                    "Mother, I Climbed" was my favorite unreleased song when Dave passed; I still hear Dave's voice on the lyric, even on "Flower of Avalon"
                    >>Bill
                  • Jessica
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 14, 2011
                      I saw Dave and Tracy at Falcon Ridge in ... '99? for the first time and
                      though "Gentle Arms of Eden" stands out from that show, I think the song I
                      most closely associate with Dave is "The River, Where She Sleeps" because he
                      managed to rhyme with orange and that just seems very Dave, to me. (Besides
                      being a wonderful, infectious, yet poignant song.)

                      Best,
                      Gyesika

                      On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 12:57 PM, William <wpfleischmann@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > > On Dave's birthday I thought I'd post a question to the group:
                      > >
                      > > Which one of his songs do you most closely associate him with?
                      >
                      > "Mother, I Climbed" was my favorite unreleased song when Dave passed; I
                      > still hear Dave's voice on the lyric, even on "Flower of Avalon"
                      > >>Bill

                    • Linda Silas
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 15, 2011
                        First songs I heard were "The River Where She Sleeps" and "When I Go," so those come to mind along with "Tanglewood Tree" and "Disappearing Man." I love and perform many of Dave's songs, but when I think of Dave himself and his journey, I go to "Ordinary Town" an then to "Phantom Doll," the last song he finished.

                        Linda

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 20, 2011
                          --- In Dave-and-Tracy@yahoogroups.com, Linda Silas <lsilas@...> wrote:
                          I love and perform many of Dave's songs, but when I think of Dave himself and his journey, I go to "Ordinary Town" an then to "Phantom Doll," the last song he finished.

                          > Linda

                          "Phantom Doll" certainly was an interesting twist in direction as far as song styles are concerned. It would have been interesting to hear where his songwriting would lead us.

                          Does "Ordinary Town" have biographical elements about Dave to it? For example did he sing in the church choir at age 16, have a kick-ass Wal Mart, tie, etc.?
                        • Elise Fischer
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 20, 2011
                            David didn't sing in the church choir, nor did he have a kick-ass Walmart tie, but the song paints an interesting picture of the culture in which we were raised.

                            To: Dave-and-Tracy@yahoogroups.com
                            From: nbretvick@...
                            Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 15:21:47 +0000
                            Subject: [Dave-and-Tracy] Re: Happy Birthday to Dave