Heart Walk update

  • Dave Barnett
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2008
      I recently solicited donations on this list for the American Heart
      Association Heart Walk in Chicago. I joined the Rush University Medical
      Center team on the beautiful downtown lakefront for the Walk. We had lovely
      weather and thousands of us walked along the water. I wore a large sticker
      on my back noting that I was walking in memory of Dr. Bill Wagner (the late
      Dean of Students at Rush) and Dave Carter (including the
      www.daveandtracy.com address).

      Before and during the walk, I spoke about both men to a number of people. I
      met a nurse from Northwestern Hospital who was a Rush graduate and fondly
      remembered Dr. Wagner (of course, I can't recall her name at all!). I also
      talked about the music and life of Dave Carter with several walkers. At the
      end of the Walk, a couple approached me. I had spoken them to about Dave two
      years ago at a Heart Walk (but confess I did not remember them at all --
      should I be worried about my memory?). Since then, they acquired all of
      Dave's recordings and songbooks, and managed to catch Tracy perform back
      East. They were so appreciative of learning about Dave from me! They also
      noted that they have been acquainting their family and friends with Dave's
      music as well as Tracy and Jim's discs. So, those two encounters made me
      very happy that my walking in the memory of these two men helped me to
      connect with other walkers and also is helping to keep Dave's music out
      there!

      The medical center where I work, Rush University Medical Center, has raised
      over $53,000 this year by the members of our teams. This year, I raised
      $1365. I still have a couple more promises of donations before they close
      the books for this year's walk on the 17th. So, I still hope to make my goal
      of $1500. Should anyone else wish to contribute in Dave's memory, you can
      still make an online
      donation<http://heartwalk.kintera.org/metrochicago/davidbarnett>.
      I know they will put your money to excellent use for education and research
      on heart disease and stroke.

      To the members of this list that responded to my request, thank you so much.
      I am so grateful. (And, finally, a personal note to Brenda H. -- two
      donations from you were recorded for the same amount -- my emails to inquire
      about this bounced back. If you actually only meant to make one donation,
      please get in touch with me so I can get them to credit the second one
      back).

      Dave

      --
      "I think it would be a good idea." - Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948), when asked
      what he thought of Western civilization.