Dave Carter Special, KVMR Radio Sunday August 3rd

  • Bruce Hayden
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2008
      Just a reminder.

      Cindy will be doing a Dave Carter Tracy Grammer Special on KVMR tomorrow
      6-8pm Pacific Daylight Time. On the web www.kvmr.org This will feature
      several live west coast performances. Select cuts from the Strawberry Music
      Festival Main stage as well as Dave & Tracy's workshop "Shamanism, Dreams
      and Song Writing" Spring Festival 2002 as well as some concert recordings.

      Tune in on the web or those who are familiar with KVMR in Northern
      California can tune in at 89.5 FM or 105.FM in Lake Tahoe area.

      Tonight Cindy has me editing several things she is likely to use tomorrow
      night and quite frankly I am looking forward to what she is to do. I have no
      idea of what she is to play as we have over 6 hours of live recordings.
      Cindy prepares shows such as this quite well. Her Nicolette Larson special a
      few months back was an outstanding show. What will make this one so special
      is I know few on this list has heard much if any of what she is to play. You
      will hear some of Dave's wonderful Story Telling as he introduces songs as
      well as Tracy's stories. These are not what others have played on other
      specials.

      Cindy wanted this to be a tribute as Dave's birthday is soon. We have our
      music Camp beginning this next weekend or she would have scheduled this for
      August 10th , closer to Dave's birthday.

      Bruce

      Bruce Hayden

      6040 Cytisus Ct.

      Garden Valley, Ca. 95633

      http://www.myspace.com/folkmuse1

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      August 10-14- American River Acoustic Music Camp

      http:// <http://www.americanriveracoustic.org/>
      www.americanriveracoustic.org

      http://www.myspace.com/americanriveracousticcamp

      Information info@...

      Ph/Fax (530)333-1018

      Database version: 5.10390e
      http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor/

    • Geoff
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
        lovely programme,
        excellent tribute.

        brilliant idea to precede the cd tracks with the concert intros.

        I wonder if you could you tell me the date and place of the
        recording of "Mother I Climbed", as used in the programme.

        many thanks
        Geoff
      • Bruce Hayden
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
          Geoff,
          I will have to go to Cindy's set list, but that was probably done at the
          Strawberry Music Festival "Shamanism and Songwriter Workshop" Spring
          Strawberry, Memorial Day weekend 2002, not long before Dave passed. It was
          the last time we were to see Dave, we were expecting Dave and Tracy for our
          November Concert that year, instead Ray Wylie Hubbard agreed to replace Dave
          and Tracy.

          Or it may be one of the Tracy Grammer concerts that we presented later.
          Tracy has appeared in 3 of our concerts, the last time was in April which
          was also our last concert.

          Cindy ran into some problems when the CD deck would not read a CD for which
          she had burned for the show. I ended up rebooting it as this has happened
          with that player previously.

          It has been suggested to us perhaps Cindy should consider doing a part two
          show for one of the membership drives. Unfortunately the next major fund
          raiser for KVMR is the same weekend we will be in Phoenix for the FAR West
          Regional Folk Alliance Conference.

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
            Geoff,
            I checked with Cindy before she got out the door to work. That was from the
            Strawberry workshop I mentioned for Mother I climbed, which at the time was
            also being called Marina as it had not been titled as yet. Dave and Tracy
            performed it at the Main Stage that day as well.

            Dave did not look healthy at Strawberry that year, a fact some of us noticed
            as well. He went for a run early, I believe it was 7 miles, went on stage
            prior to eating and was very hungry and tired by the time they had completed
            their set.

            Camp Mather, where the festival is held, is nearly a mile high in elevation
            so a run would be much more difficult than a Sea Level. Dave loved the
            location, it is one of the most beautiful sites for a music festival in the
            US and a run in the area can be a spectacular experience.

            Bruce Hayden
            6040 Cytisus Ct.
            Garden Valley, Ca. 95633
            http://www.myspace.com/folkmuse1
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            August 10-14- American River Acoustic Music Camp
            http://www.americanriveracoustic.org
            http://www.myspace.com/americanriveracousticcamp
            Information info@...
            Ph/Fax (530)333-1018

          • Califdan
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
              Hi

              I sure can confirm Bruce's comments about camp Mather. It's in the deep
              woods made up of evergreens (not deciduous hardwood like most of the east).
              The air is laden with the scent of pine and fir as the sun filters through
              the trees, on a soft breeze. Truly magnificent. The site itself is mostly
              level but nearby is the Hetch Hetchy gorge so you can do some more serious
              hiking (or running) if you like.

              For you history buffs, Camp Mather was literally the camp where the workers
              lived during the construction of the O'Shaughnessy Dam on the Tuolumne
              River. Many say that the canyon now filled by the lake behind the dam
              rivaled that of nearby Yosemite. Even though this area is within Yosemite
              national Park, the dam and lake as well as Camp Mather itself is owned by
              the city of San Francisco and the lake is where SF (and many other cities in
              the SF bay area) get their drinking water.

              One of the roads into Camp Mather (Cherry Lake Road and Mather Road) was
              built on the bed of the railroad which was used to bring construction
              materials to the dam site. In fact, there are portions of Cherry Lake Road
              right on the edge of the gorge (about a 2 to 3 thousand foot drop) where the
              guard rail between the road and the cliff edge is made of the old railroad
              track. Even though portions of this road are quite narrow, since it was a
              railroad bed, it is good for runners since it doesn't have lots of ups and
              downs. I wouldn't be surprised if this is where Dave ran that day.

              For more info and some pictures try:

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetch_Hetchy_Valley

              http://www.hetchhetchy.org/history.html (mouse over the picture and it
              flips between then and now images of the Hetch Hetchy valley)

              http://www.campmather.com/photo_album.html (pictures of Camp Mather itself)

              Dan

              _____

[...]

              http://www.myspace <http://www.myspace.com/folkmuse1> com/folkmuse1
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              August 10-14- American River Acoustic Music Camp
              http://www.american <http://www.americanriveracoustic.org> riveracoustic.org
              http://www.myspace <http://www.myspace.com/americanriveracousticcamp>
              com/americanriveracousticcamp
              Information info@americanriverf <mailto:info%40americanriverfolk.org>
              olk.org
              Ph/Fax (530)333-1018

              com/en/spyware-doctor/

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
                The tree's Dan speaks of are Ponderosa Pines and Incense Cedars for the most
                part with occasional White Firs and a few Douglas Firs. Black Oaks and
                Alders are much in evidence in the area. For pictures of the festival
                www.strawberrymusic.com has pictures going back for several years on the
                site. It is easy to navigate. The Festival can only have slightly more than
                6,000 people on the grounds so it is a moderate sized festival and held
                twice each year, Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day Weekend. Though Mather
                is over 300 acres the festival site uses only 80 of those acres. It sells
                out months in advance. Many purchase tickets even before the first act is
                announced.

                Spring Festival (Memorial Day) has always been an iffy for weather but
                usually that means a day or so that will be bad and then the it clears up.
                Occasionally we have had snow but rarely during the festival, the setup has
                experienced more foul weather than the festival itself, in fact we have
                stories of some pretty brutal setups, snow, heavy winds torrential rains and
                of course those mosquitoes, with just 12 guys they haven't got much to fest
                on, by the time the festival starts with that 6,000 though you hardly would
                know there were any mosquitoes with that ration of 2 people per mosquito.

                This year though was different. It was the first festival in the 25 plus
                years in which the weather was bad the entire festival. Drizzle for the
                first three days and then heavy rain the last day.

                Fall (Labor Day) has had a rare few days of rain but it us usually pretty
                good weather for the festival.

                The entrance to the Yosemite Valley is just over 40 minutes from the
                Festival.

                As Dan has mentioned there are some spectacular areas within close walking
                distance, http://www.campmather.com/DayTrips.html

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
                  > That was from the Strawberry workshop I mentioned for Mother I climbed,
                  > which at the time was also being called Marina ...

                  Bruce,

                  thanks for taking the trouble.
                  thanks for the confirmation.

                  I still prefer to think of the song as "Marianna", but I bow to the final
                  decision taken for the title.

                  I don't know if there is playlist for Cindy's show already in computer
                  format. If so I'd find it interesting to see which clip came from where. I
                  suspect that was quite a time consuming editing job you did there.

                  best wishes
                  and thanks
                  Geoff
                • Bruce Hayden
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
                    I will be editing the show into tracks. I recorded off the board to a WAV
                    file using my digital flash recorder. As I began the recorder a few minutes
                    prior to the beginning of the show there are a couple of cuts I have to
                    delete from the World Music Show that preceded Cindy's show. I may also
                    delete the PSA's and the fire news update and we can get into the show
                    without all of that.

                    I have been asked it was archived, it was not, but it might become so.
                    Generally a two hour show is not archived on the site as it takes up more
                    space. KVMR has most of the live interviews archived that has been done over
                    the last few years but Dave and Tracy's interview in 2000 on KVMR was not
                    recorded at that time. They were in the studio with Ray Wylie Hubburd. It
                    was a great interview with two great songwriters.

                    Bruce

                    Bruce Hayden
                    6040 Cytisus Ct.
                    Garden Valley, Ca. 95633
                    http://www.myspace.com/folkmuse1
                    August 10-14- American River Acoustic Music Camp
                    http://www.americanriveracoustic.org
                    http://www.myspace.com/americanriveracousticcamp
                    Information info@...
                    Ph/Fax (530)333-1018