My Thoughts on Tracy Grammer's Seattle Concert

  • Jim Portillo
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2008
      Hello everyone. I thought several of you would like to know how Tracy Grammer's show turned out here in Seattle. I'd love to tell you about it!

      I can honestly say that tonight's Tracy Grammer concert was one of the nicest concerts I've attended in a long time. It was everything I expected and more.

      Tracy had a very good crowd at her Seattle show. I think my friend counted close to 140 people in attendance. The venue was comfortable and good-sized. The sound was also good for Tracy, her guitar, and her fiddle.

      The concert itself had a great feel to it. It was as if we were sitting around Tracy's living room, and she was singing us some of her favorite songs, talking to us, and telling us stories about herself. Many of the stories involved Dave Carter, but I think that overall, the stories talked about Tracy as a human being and how she has really grown as a person throughout these years of performing. Tracy did not ramble at all. Her stories were very interesting and always had something to do with the song she'd be about to play.

      I hope that this concert and solo tour proved, both to Tracy and to her fans, that she's a wonderful performer who can hold her own with or without someone else playing with her. Her guitar playing is solid! Her finger-picking is lovely and gentle, and her strums are percussive and accent her songs. She's a wonderful singer and the songs she shares with an audience are well-chosen and performed. So, while we all enjoy Jim Henry or anyone else playing with Tracy, let us also remember that she's just as good by herself as she is with someone else. Tracy has created her own nitch in the world of folk music. Congratulations, Tracy! I told her this after the show as well.

      Personally, some of my favorite songs included "Winter When He Goes", "Gypsy Rose", and "Travis John." Then again, I liked them all, so it was hard to choose three favorites.

      I'm so glad that someone brought Tracy out to play show. She definitely has fans in the northwest, and Seattle is home to many of them! Again, fine show!

      Below, I have included both of Tracy's set lists. If anyone else who was there finds any errors, please feel free to correct me and give us the corrections.

      Tracy Grammer's Set list

      1. "Red Dirt Girl" (Emmy Lou Harris)

      2. "Crocodile Man" (Dave Carter)

      3. "Shadows of Evangeline" (Dave Carter)

      4. "April Comes She Will" (Paul Simon)

      5. "Hey Ho" (Dave Carter)

      6. "Travis John" (Kate Power)

      7. "Laughlin Boy" (Bill Jolliff)

      Set 2

      1. Fiddle Tune Medley

      "Jackson's Tune" (Tracy Grammer)

      "Trickster Tale" (Tracy Grammer?)

      "St. Anne's Reel" (Trad)

      2. "Across The Great Divide" (Kate Wolf)

      3. "Winter When He Goes" (Dave Carter)

      4. "The Mountain" (Dave Carter)

      5. "Waking Hour" (David Francey)

      6. "Blue Wing" (Tom Russell)

      7. "Gypsy Rose" (Dave Carter)

      8. "The Verdant Mile" (Tracy Grammer)

      9. (Encore) "Pancho and Lefty" (Townes Van Zandt)

    • wilndorf
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2008
        Thanks so much, Jim. Your words made me feel content and relaxed.
        I miss having Tracy (and of course Dave) here in Portland.

        Regards-

        Helen

        --- In Dave-and-Tracy@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Portillo" <jp100@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello everyone. I thought several of you would like to know how
        Tracy Grammer's show turned out here in Seattle. I'd love to tell
        you about it!

        [much snippage]