The Sense and Spirit of Pat Wictor - by Ellen Geisel (in Dirty Linen)

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2008
      Excerpt: "Each one of Pat Wictor's releases contains a stunner of a
      song. ...while the recent Heaven Is So High, and I'm So Far
      Downvirtually shines due to his emotional rendition of the late
      DaveCarter's "When I Go."

      This is an excerpt from the print edition of Dirty Linen #134
      (February/March 2008).
      The full article is in the magazine, available on newsstands, by
      subscription <http://www.dirtylinen.com/subscribe/subscribe.html> , and
      at the Dirty Linen webstore <http://store.dirtylinen.com/catalog/> .

      [Pat Wictor]
      The Sense and Spirit of Pat Wictorby Ellen Geisel
      Each one of Pat Wictor's releases contains a stunner of a song. 2003's
      Temporary Stay hasFred Neil's "The Dolphins." Once done by Tim Buckley
      as an etherealwonder, the songis given an easy grounding in Wictor's
      hands, his transcendent lapslide guitar weaving a warm tapestry behind
      his elegant vocals. Waiting for the Water boasts his own nearly
      acappella tent-revival-like gem "Love Is the Water," while the recent
      Heaven Is So High, and I'm So Far Downvirtually shines due to his
      emotional rendition of the late DaveCarter's "When I Go." Throughout,
      the clarity of his voice is aninteresting juxtaposition to the glorious
      grit of his musicianship. Andthere is an undeniable feeling that Wictor
      hasmastered that necessary but often elusive balancing act of
      combiningthe practicality of being a working musician with the
      expression ofsheer artistry. He manages to creativelyabsorb the work of
      others, leaving their musical intentions beautifullyintact, while adding
      his own sonic signature to the mix. Some songs inhis repertoire are
      presentedstraightforwardly and seemingly "as-written," such as
      MarvinBaumgardner's hymn "Gathering Flowers for the Master's
      Bouquet."Others, like his own "I Will Walk With You,"are less-clear
      explorations that can be interpreted in ways bothspiritual and worldly.
      Said Wictor, "I certainly hope that my songshave a universal appeal;
      I've worked consciouslyat that. I've tried to write and select songs
      that don't polarize thelistener squarely into -- or away from -- a
      particular spiritual camp.I'm trying to do an end run around that,
      andperhaps provide food for thought and conversation. I hope people
      shareenough common values that we can enjoy the same songs without
      having toshare all of each others'assumptions."

      Just how Wictor arrived at this enviable place in his career wherehe
      easily churns out recordings imbued with both spirituality and twangmay
      be traced to his interesting earlyyears. He was an American by birth
      living in Venezuela, theNetherlands, and England. (His father was an
      oil-industry worker).Wictor remembered, "Well, these early
      experienceshad an impact in some roundabout and unexpected ways. Don't
      forget thatI also lived in east Texas for a few years, and those years
      [1972-1976]were some important ones. GlenCampbell, John Denver, and
      Johnny Cash were all over TV, as well as RoyClark on 'Hee-Haw.' Hearing
      and seeing all those musicians on TV as akid stimulated my interest
      inmusic, and specifically in playing the guitar. I only learned
      laterthat they all had a great sense of melody and a grounding in
      'roots'music."

      This is an excerpt from the print edition of Dirty Linen #134
      (February/March 2008).
      The full article is in the magazine, available on newsstands, by
      subscription <http://www.dirtylinen.com/subscribe/subscribe.html> , and
      at the Dirty Linen webstore <http://store.dirtylinen.com/catalog/> .

      Cross-posted to the FRFF discussion board -
      http://www.falconridgefolk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=471#471
      <http://www.falconridgefolk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=471#471>