Dave's songs covered

  • nbretvick
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 28, 2006
      Hey all. Couldn't stand to see a whole month go by with no posts so I
      thought I'd ring in with one.

      I'd be interested in hearing what any of you consider your favorite
      covers of Dave's songs. Guess a couple that come to mind
      including "Walkin' Away From Caroline" by Erik Balkey and "The
      Mountain" by Joan Baez. I see Erik also does "Gun Metal Eyes" but I
      have not yet heard that one.

      Thanks,
      Neil
    • Clytia Fuller
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 28, 2006
        I think Diane Zeigler does a good version of Gentle Soldier of My Soul on
        her Paintbrush cd. Also the strange version of Gentle Arms of Eden by Vance
        Gilbert and Ellis Paul from their cd Side of the Road. And of course
        Erik's version of Winter When She Goes from Sanctuary Road. --Clytia

        >Hey all. Couldn't stand to see a whole month go by with no posts so I
        > thought I'd ring in with one.
        >
        > I'd be interested in hearing what any of you consider your favorite
        > covers of Dave's songs. Guess a couple that come to mind
        > including "Walkin' Away From Caroline" by Erik Balkey and "The
        > Mountain" by Joan Baez. I see Erik also does "Gun Metal Eyes" but I
        > have not yet heard that one.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Neil

        Clytia Fuller "Heaven's Bar 'n Grill" KZSC 88.1fm
        clytia@... Friday's 9-noon Santa Cruz,
        Calif, 95064

        you can listen at: http://kzsc.org

        Playlists:
        http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S2=folkdj-l&m=11667&s=Heaven%27s+

        "If there were no music, I would not get through...." Shawn Colvin
      • Beth DeSombre
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 28, 2006
          Neil on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 at 3:09 PM -0500 wrote:
          >I'd be interested in hearing what any of you consider your favorite
          >covers of Dave's songs.

          Don't have recordings of either of these, but my favorite Dave covers
          right now are Frank Armitage (D&T list member!) doing Little Liza Jane
          (and also Don't Tread on Me), and the few Dave covers that the band Jaded
          Mandolin do in their live shows.

          Beth
        • jcm4247plr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 28, 2006
            Full Frontal Folk version of Cat Eye Willie.

            Joe Mahon
            Princeton

          • tdub55@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 28, 2006
              Lucy Kaplansky did a version of "Cowboy Singer" on a CD a while back. Mark Erelli has done "Cowboy Singer", but has never recorded it for release. Richard Shindell has performed some stunning versons of "Farewell to St. Dolores" and "The Mountain", but, once again, not for release. Let's see, who else? Oh, Rani Arbo does a slow and sweet "St. Dolores on CD. I have to say I didn't much care for the Vance and Ellis "Gentle Arms of Eden"...such a joyous song, why dial it waaaaay back? But it is nice to hear them doing it anyway.

              mmm, there is this folk singer, Tracy Grammer, who does a few DC covers that I hear are good, too.
              ;-)

              tw
              From: Clytia Fuller <clytia@...>
              I think Diane Zeigler does a good version of Gentle Soldier of My Soul on
              her Paintbrush cd. Also the strange version of Gentle Arms of Eden by Vance
              Gilbert and Ellis Paul from their cd Side of the Road. And of course
              Erik's version of Winter When She Goes from Sanctuary Road. --Clytia

              >Hey all. Couldn't stand to see a whole month go by with no posts so I
              > thought I'd ring in with one.
              >
              > I'd be interested in hearing what any of you consider your favorite
              > covers of Dave's songs. Guess a couple that come to mind
              > including "Walkin' Away From Caroline" by Erik Balkey and "The
              > Mountain" by Joan Baez. I see Erik also does "Gun Metal Eyes" but I
              > have not yet heard that one.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Neil

              Clytia Fuller "Heaven's Bar 'n Grill" KZSC 88.1fm
              clytia@... Friday's 9-noon Santa Cruz,
              Calif, 95064

              you can listen at: http://kzsc.org

              Playlists:
              http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S2=folkdj-l&m=11667&s=Heaven%27s+

              "If there were no music, I would not get through...." Shawn Colvin

            • AcousticInpAris
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 28, 2006
                The River where she sleeps, by Darryl Purpose and Crocodile Man, by Chris
                Smither, or Cowboy Singer which Mark Erelli played in Paris

                Herve
                Prochains concerts Acoustic in Paris a la Pomme d'Eve /Discover the finest
                in songwriting in the City of Light:

                2006 : Terry Lee Hale, le 7 decembre ; J. Tillman, les 12 et 13 decembre

                2007 : Richard Dobson & Hommage a Townes van Zandt, le 18 janvier ; Iain
                Matthews, les 6 et 8 fevrier ; Stephen Simmons & Carrie Rodriguez, le 26
                avril

                www.acousticinparis.com * www.myspace.com.acousticinparis
                Le forum : http://acousticinparis.grafbb.com/index.htm

              • Lewis Cole
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 28, 2006
                  Will you be partaking of Tracy's current tour?

                  Yes, to dance beneath the diamond skies...

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 28, 2006
                    I thought Tracy and Jim's last show here in Portland, Oregon was the best in quite some time. There was a certain levity, a relaxed and funny stage presence and the music really sparked. Nice to hear some new tunes and a few nice twists on some of the old ones.

                    tw
                    From: Lewis Cole <dimonjo@...>

                    Will you be partaking of Tracy's current tour?

                    Yes, to dance beneath the diamond skies...

                    ________________________________
                    > To: Dave-and-Tracy@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: tdub55@...
                    > Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:36:54 +0000
                    > Subject: Re: [Dave-and-Tracy] Dave's songs covered
                    >
                    > Lucy Kaplansky did a version of "Cowboy Singer" on a CD a while back. Mark Erelli has done "Cowboy Singer", but has never recorded it for release. Richard Shindell has performed some stunning versons of "Farewell to St. Dolores" and "The Mountain", but, once again, not for release. Let's see, who else? Oh, Rani Arbo does a slow and sweet "St. Dolores on CD. I have to say I didn't much care for the Vance and Ellis "Gentle Arms of Eden"...such a joyous song, why dial it waaaaay back? But it is nice to hear them doing it anyway.
                    > mmm, there is this folk singer, Tracy Grammer, who does a few DC covers that I hear are good, too.
                    > ;-)
                    > tw
                    > From: Clytia Fuller <clytia@...<mailto:clytia@...>>
                    > I think Diane Zeigler does a good version of Gentle Soldier of My Soul on
                    > her Paintbrush cd. Also the strange version of Gentle Arms of Eden by Vance
                    > Gilbert and Ellis Paul from their cd Side of the Road. And of course
                    > Erik's version of Winter When She Goes from Sanctuary Road. --Clytia
                    > >
                    > >Hey all. Couldn't stand to see a whole month go by with no posts so I
                    > > thought I'd ring in with one.
                    > >
                    > > I'd be interested in hearing what any of you consider your favorite
                    > > covers of Dave's songs. Guess a couple that come to mind
                    > > including "Walkin' Away From Caroline" by Erik Balkey and "The
                    > > Mountain" by Joan Baez. I see Erik also does "Gun Metal Eyes" but I
                    > > have not yet heard that one.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > Neil
                    > Clytia Fuller "Heaven's Bar 'n Grill" KZSC 88.1fm
                    > clytia@...<mailto:clytia@...> Friday's 9-noon Santa Cruz,
                    > Calif, 95064
                    > you can listen at: http://kzsc.org
                    > Playlists:
                    > http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S2=folkdj-l&m=11667&s=Heaven%27s+<http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S2=folkdj-l&m=11667&s=Heaven's+>
                    > "If there were no music, I would not get through...." Shawn Colvin

                  • Jean Rossner
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 28, 2006
                      Neil wrote:

                      >I'd be interested in hearing what any of you consider your favorite
                      >covers of Dave's songs. Guess a couple that come to mind
                      >including "Walkin' Away From Caroline" by Erik Balkey and "The
                      >Mountain" by Joan Baez. I see Erik also does "Gun Metal Eyes" but I
                      >have not yet heard that one.

                      Richard Shindell doing "Farewell to St. Dolores"
                      Chris and Meredith Thompson's "Tanglewood Tree"

                      --
                      What can you do with your days but work and hope?
                      Let your dreams bind your work to your play.
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 29, 2006
                        Neither recorded: Eddie From Ohio doing Farewell to St Dolores; Peter
                        Mulvey doing The Mountain at the Green River festival DC memorial in
                        2005

                        -Kevin
                      • Adam Sweeney
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 29, 2006
                          Beth DeSombre did a killer version of Workin For Jesus at the Falcon
                          Ridge song circle last summer. And I love Jim Henry's rendition of
                          Quickdraw Southpaw's Last Hurrah -- it's the perfect version of that
                          song!

                          -Adam

                          --- In Dave-and-Tracy@yahoogroups.com, "nbretvick" <nbretvick@...>
                          wrote:

                          > I'd be interested in hearing what any of you consider your favorite
                          > covers of Dave's songs.
                        • Greg Pool
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 29, 2006
                            --- In Dave-and-Tracy@yahoogroups.com, tdub55@... wrote:
                            > Mark Erelli has done "Cowboy Singer", but has never recorded it for release.

                            "Cowboy Singer" was the August 2002 monthly MP3 download on his website.

                            Mark wrote at the time, "To honor the passing of brilliant song- writer and good friend Dave
                            Carter, this month's song is a cover of Dave's "Cowboy Singer" taken from the recent tribute
                            at the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival. It might take a few days to get this one up on the site, I'm
                            still waiting for the recording..."

                            It's now archived and available in the Files section for those who join Mark's Yahoo discussion
                            group.

                            There's about 70 MP3s in there, dating back to 2001. Enjoy!

                            Greg Pool
                            http://TreeHouseConcerts.org
                          • linklet@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 30, 2006
                              And speaking of which, Adam Sweeney does a pretty cool version of Tanglewood
                              Tree and The Mountain :-)

                              Marci

                              In a message dated 11/30/2006 9:27:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,

                              1. Re: Dave's songs covered
                              Posted by: "Adam Sweeney" apsweene@... apsweene

                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006
                                Great premise Neil,

                                Annie and Rod Capps, "Crocodile Man", they own that song! Any Dave
                                Carter song played by Pete and Maura Kennedy. Erik Balkey, "Walkin Away
                                from Caroline". Beth DeSombre, "Workin for Jesus" and "Preston Miller".
                                Chris and Meredith Thompson,"The Mountain", exquisite! Jim Henry,
                                "Quickdraw Southpaws Last Hurrah". Yup Adam, no doubt, Jim's version is
                                a beauty. Adam Sweeney, "Tanglewood Tree" and "Farewell to Bitteroot
                                Valley", superb. Greta (Mae) and Janelle, a smokin "I Go Like the
                                Raven".Randy and Gaye Auxier, "Texas Underground". Pat Wictor, "When I
                                Go".

                                Frank
                                wrote:

                                > Hey all. Couldn't stand to see a whole month go by with no posts so I
                                > thought I'd ring in with one.
                                >
                                > I'd be interested in hearing what any of you consider your favorite
                                > covers of Dave's songs. Guess a couple that come to mind
                                > including "Walkin' Away From Caroline" by Erik Balkey and "The
                                > Mountain" by Joan Baez. I see Erik also does "Gun Metal Eyes" but I
                                > have not yet heard that one.
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Neil

                              • nbretvick
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006
                                  --- In Dave-and-Tracy@yahoogroups.com, "armitagefrank"
                                  <armitagefrank@...> wrote:

                                  Jim Henry, "Quickdraw Southpaws Last Hurrah". Yup Adam, no doubt,
                                  Jim's version is a beauty.

                                  Frank: I strongly agree with both you and Adam on this one! I would
                                  really love to hear them do this at a show. I never got around to
                                  requesting it when Tracy and Jim were last in Seattle. Maybe next
                                  time.
                                  Neil
                                • cheesebandit91
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 6, 2006
                                    wow, i made frank's list!
                                    thank you dear.

                                    -greta (mae)

                                    --- In Dave-and-Tracy@yahoogroups.com, "armitagefrank" <armitagefrank@...> wrote:

                                    > Great premise Neil,
                                    >
                                    > Annie and Rod Capps, "Crocodile Man", they own that song! Any Dave
                                    > Carter song played by Pete and Maura Kennedy. Erik Balkey, "Walkin Away
                                    > from Caroline". Beth DeSombre, "Workin for Jesus" and "Preston Miller".
                                    > Chris and Meredith Thompson,"The Mountain", exquisite! Jim Henry,
                                    > "Quickdraw Southpaws Last Hurrah". Yup Adam, no doubt, Jim's version is
                                    > a beauty. Adam Sweeney, "Tanglewood Tree" and "Farewell to Bitteroot
                                    > Valley", superb. Greta (Mae) and Janelle, a smokin "I Go Like the
                                    > Raven".Randy and Gaye Auxier, "Texas Underground". Pat Wictor, "When I
                                    > Go".
                                    >
                                    > Frank
                                    > --- In Dave-and-Tracy@yahoogroups.com, "nbretvick" <nbretvick@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hey all. Couldn't stand to see a whole month go by with no posts so I
                                    > > thought I'd ring in with one.
                                    > >
                                    > > I'd be interested in hearing what any of you consider your favorite
                                    > > covers of Dave's songs. Guess a couple that come to mind
                                    > > including "Walkin' Away From Caroline" by Erik Balkey and "The
                                    > > Mountain" by Joan Baez. I see Erik also does "Gun Metal Eyes" but I
                                    > > have not yet heard that one.
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks,
                                    > > Neil

                                  • Janet Cinelli
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 7, 2006
                                      My husband and I went to see Chris Smither last
                                      Friday. I'm not that crazy about the way he does
                                      Crocodile Man but I was happy to hear a few people
                                      applaud Dave when Chris mentioned him. I hope he
                                      covers another one!
                                      Janet

                                      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                                    • jcm4247plr@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 7, 2006
                                        I saw Tracy and Jim Henry on Sunday in Freehold, NJ. They did a wonderful
                                        job on crocodile man. I remember Tracy once saying that of all of Dave's
                                        songs, that was the one she was most reticent about singing when she first
                                        learned it. Her pace and phrasing in concert were awesome, as was Jim's guitar
                                        breaks.

                                        Joe Mahon,
                                        Princeton, NJ

                                      • Michael Larkin
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 13, 2006
                                          The two times that I've seen Tracy and Jim play "Crocodile Man"
                                          live, Jim played guitar, and it sounded great. But I've heard live
                                          recordings where Jim plays the dobro on this song, and that's when
                                          it really shines.
                                          Michael