Re: Falcon Ridge

  • Rongrittz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 1 3:37 AM
      >>> Dave & Tracy played "Farewell Angelina" <<<
      >> I tried to imagine which one of Dylan's songs that they would cover, and
      when they announced what they'd do, I thought "Of course!" <<

      Especially as a fourth song in the "Farewell" series . . . "Farewell to Saint
      Dolores," "Farewell to Fiddler's Rim" and "Farewell to Bitterroot Valley."

      >> "Dark Womb" gets my vote. <<

      Dave and Tracy said at the Cabin that they want to pick something that's NOT
      one of the "obvious choices" from the chorus, which means "Dark Womb" is
      probably out, along with "Mariana" and "Nothing to Believe." Me, I'd like to
      call it "From the Sidewalk to the Sand," which I think works in terms of the
      song's "wandering" theme.

      Speaking of titles, Dave also said that some of the titles of the songs on
      DHB got shortened when designing the liner notes for the CD, and that when
      they reprint them (in adddition to fixing some typos and stuff), "Tillman
      Co." will be expanded to its full title, which is "Thirty Bad Summers in
      Tillman County." He didn't indicate whether "236-6132" would have an area
      code added to it. ;-)

      RG
    • patrick t power
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 1 3:41 AM
        RonG wrote:

        <<Speaking of titles, Dave also said that some of the titles of the songs
        on DHB got shortened when designing the liner notes for the CD, and that
        when they reprint them (in adddition to fixing some typos and stuff),
        "Tillman
        Co." will be expanded to its full title, which is "Thirty Bad Summers in
        Tillman County.">>

        Actually, I had forgotten to mention that on Thursday night from
        mainstage, Dave used the longer title when he introduced the song.

        Pat
      • Jennifer_Ray
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002
          Dear group,

          I have never posted to this group before, but have read it
          occassionally ever since first hearing Dave and Tracy two years ago
          at Falcon Ridge. I have been privelaged to have their music in my
          life since then, and I have tried to share with it as many people as
          possible. I just returned home from Falcon Ridge (just there for the
          day as I live in Boston), and a few people were interested in an
          update, and it doesn't seem like anyone as yet posted about today, so
          I will try and give some brief information. There was a very moving
          and I felt fitting tribute, opened and closed by Tracy (with "The
          Mountain" and "Gentle Soldier of My Soul") and hosted by Jim Olson. I
          am sure I will forget or misremember some of the participants or
          titles of songs, but Nerissa and Katrina Neilds did "Ordinary Town",
          Eddie from Ohio - "Farewell St. Dolores", Chris Smithers - "Crocodile
          Man", Mark Erreli - "Cowboy Singer", Erin McKeown - "Gentle Arms of
          Eden". "Tanglewood Tree", "Happytown" and "Merlin's Lament", and
          probably one or two others were also performed, but unfortunately I
          cannot recall by who (hopefully someone will be able to give more
          details soon, otherwise I will probably remember some more after a
          good nights sleep!) Jim Olson, and many of the participants, told
          stories about Dave, often their first encounters with him, as
          introductions to the songs they did in tribute. Tracy gave a very
          moving introduction and some closing words (she came back onto the
          stage after a standing ovation), and I can hardly express the
          admiration of her I felt for this.

          Signature Sounds set up a very fitting tribute booth to Dave, with
          pictures and candles, as well as a book of notes for Tracy with
          literally hundreds of comments.

          The tribute this evening was, in my opinion, a blessing. My deepest
          hope is that it gave Tracy and others close to Dave some solace. I
          know it gave me an even deeper appreciation of Dave's work to see his
          colleagues rally to his memory, to sing his songs and tell their own
          stories, and I left feeling even more hopeful that Dave Carter's work
          will reach the even greater audience it truly deserves. In any case,
          I feel somewhat of an interloper here never having posted before, but
          I hope what little I could offer is of some help. I apologize if it
          is somewhat disjointed; it's been a long day!

          Hopefully there will be others who can share more complete
          information.

          My very best to all,

          Jenn Ray
        • Fran Rosenberg
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002
            Thank you, Jenn Ray.

            Fran from Eugene

            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002
              Thank you, Jen...many of us have been waiting eagerly for words. I
              pray that Tracy was well, I feel assured that she is enveloped in
              love and support at FRFF...if only all of us, that loved Dave and
              her, could have been there...

              Pam
              Eugene, OR

            • Eric S McEuen
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 28, 2002
                Hi folks,

                Thanks, Jenn, for your beautiful account of the FRFF tribute. I'm only
                adding to it because I took down the complete song list.

                I was very lucky to listen to this tribute by cell phone, from my home in
                Albuquerque. It was very moving, even with faint and fuzzy sound
                quality. Here are the songs played, in order:

                Tracy: The Mountain
                Chris & Meredith Thompson: Tanglewood Tree
                Mark Erelli: Cowboy Singer
                Nerissa & Katryna Nields: Ordinary Town
                Erin McKeown: Gentle Arms of Eden
                Kris Delmhorst w/Mark Erelli: Farewell to Fiddler's Rim
                Eddie From Ohio: Farewell to Saint Dolores
                Pete & Maura Kennedy: Happytown
                Christopher Williams: Merlin's Lament
                Chris Smither: Crocodile Man
                Tracy: Gentle Soldier of My Soul

                I appreciated Jim Olson's introductions, but this is the only one I
                remember well (in my own words): "When I first heard 'Crocodile Man,' I
                was amazed. That Dave - this gentle folkie from Oregon - could channel
                Louisiana swamp pop so completely! I said to him 'You know, this sounds
                like a Chris Smither song'..."

                Jim also said that Falcon Ridge was the perfect place to do this tribute.
                It's Dave and Tracy's favorite festival; a lot of things took off for
                them after they first played there in 2000; and a lot of their favorite
                musicians and favorite people were there to take part. Still, I hope
                similar things happen at other festivals.

                Thanks again, all of you, for sharing so much during this heartbreaking
                time. I have friends here in NM who know why I'm sad, but none who share
                it in the same way. This on-line community has been priceless to me.

                Eric

                "shine beside me my wisdom star
                light the desert before me..."

                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
              • Jeff Lamicela
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 28, 2002
                  Hi,

                  We decided at nearly the last minute to make a day trip to Falcon Ridge for
                  Sunday, so we could see Tracy and the tribute and the shrine, and also
                  enjoy some of the other performers who helped make FR D&T's favorite
                  festival. I'm glad others are posting lists and photos etc because I was
                  honestly too overcome with grief and family commitments (there with 3 kids
                  aged 3, 6 and 9). In short it was very healing in a way, it was good to
                  know that there are so many other people (esp. the other performers and the
                  promoters) who regarded Dave highly enough to do the tribute, forego
                  profits, etc.

                  Something occurred to me while I was enjoying (if that's the right word for
                  it) Tracy's performance. It may be the last time I see her perform for a
                  long while and that saddens me. Many of us have written of our thanks to
                  Tracy for bringing Dave's music to us. But I realized I haven't been
                  thankful enough to Dave for bringing Tracy to us. Did I hear correctly that
                  Tracy hadn't been involved in music seriously until she met Dave (perhaps
                  not since high school)? If that's true, then the fact that Dave inspired
                  her to enter the music business was another great gift he gave. Because one
                  of the big reasons for me loving their music so much has been Tracy's
                  virtuosity, esp. on violin and mandolin. One of the reasons I didn't mind
                  Mary Ramsey replacing Natalie Merchant in 10KM was her incredible violin
                  and viola playing... and something about Tracy's playing touches me even
                  more. And her singing... even before, Gentle Soldier would choke me up.

                  So thanks Dave.

                  Lami
                • Terry Woodburn
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 28, 2002
                    Wonderful posts, ya'll,. How beautifully put, Lami, Thanks, Dave for
                    bringing
                    Tracy to us. Thanks Tracy, for truly bringing luminance to Dave's material.

                    And Brian...it's true, the more you peel at the sweet layers of this music and
                    lyricism,
                    the more brilliance revealed. History, treat this couple kindly.

                    Richard, thanks for the link to the post 9/11 interview. And thanks to Will
                    and everyone
                    who gave us their memories of the evening at Falcon Ridge.

                    Hanging in there. The posts are medicine to the wounded souls.

                    Terry Woodburn
                  • cadiouross@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 29, 2002
                      Thanks Lami. I was thinking the exact same thing about Tracy's being so special in her own right. My love affair with them began in Morristown, NJ in Feb, 2002 during the Joan Baez concert. Since then I saw them two other times because I was totally hooked. The reason I was so instantly moved was 1) Tracy's voice, musical ability, and just plain AURA, and 2) Dave's dedication of Gentle Arms of Eden to New York City because of 9/11, which is now my favorite song that I have totally memorized, and his great smile. Let me put this out to the universe, PLEASE LET TRACY FIND THE STRENGTH TO KEEP SINGING TO US. I don't care if she ever sings a new song, I'll just hear the old ones over and over again.

                      Jackie
                    • Bruce Hayden
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 29, 2002
                        At 01:32 AM 7/29/2002 -0400, you wrote:
                        >Did I hear correctly that
                        >Tracy hadn't been involved in music seriously until she met Dave (perhaps
                        >not since high school)?

                        As I recall Tracy said she had played with her fathers country band when she was young. She also was classically trained in Violin.
                        A friend who is a fiddler considers her more of violinist than a fiddler. This he mentions as a complement. Tracy also majored in English Literature at Cal Berkeley.

                        I don't know what constitutes "serious" involvement in music but Tracy has been very much steeped in music prior to meeting Dave in Portland.

                        Bruce Hayden
                        I don't know any man who is successful that didn't start out being a dreamer

                      • bronxbrody
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 22, 2003
                          I can't wait to get there, hopefully I will find "Camp Happytown"
                          and the weather will be cooperative! I want to say that I listened
                          to WUSB radio show on sunday and the host, Charlie Backfish, did a
                          wonderful tribute to Dave. RockinRon gave a wonderful interview
                          about Dave, very moving. Unfortunately, Tracy was suppose to call
                          in and be interviewed but there must have been a glitch or something
                          because she never did call. Take care everyone!
                          Janet
                        • cadiouross@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 23, 2003
                            I am going to Falcon Ridge for the first time, and don't know where Happytown
                            is. Since I am a big Dave and Tracy fan (listening to my CD's all day
                            today), I would love to stop by. Could someone please give me directions? Thanks.
                            - Jackie Ross from Glen Ridge NJ P.S. I'll be up there late Thurs. morning.

                          • Jessica Elena Marder
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 23, 2003
                              May I suggest to someone who /knows/ where "Happytown" is, please post a
                              little map with directions on the "announcement board" near the info
                              desk? Then those of us camping elsewhere, can easily find you, even if we
                              didn't manage to understand the directions sent to the list (I find it
                              easier to navigate such things when I'm actually AT the festival and
                              looking at the hill, and the road, etc.)

                              Thanks,

                              (and I'll be stopping by to say hello as well)
                              *back to lurking*
                              -jess

                              > I am going to Falcon Ridge for the first time, and don't know where Happytown
                              > is. Since I am a big Dave and Tracy fan (listening to my CD's all day
                              > today), I would love to stop by. Could someone please give me directions? Thanks.
                              > - Jackie Ross from Glen Ridge NJ P.S. I'll be up there late Thurs. morning.

                              ---
                              Jessica Marder
                              jmarder@...
                            • Bonny Holder
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 17, 2004
                                I'll be there in a D&T t-shirt, and turquoise beads & earrings (so
                                people know I'm from the SW!) Now don't be shy. ;-) Bonny from
                                New Mexico
                              • Elizabeth R. DeSombre
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 26, 2004
                                  A few preliminary thoughts in my underslept and oversunned (and, earlier,
                                  drenched) post-Falcon Ridge fog . . .

                                  Working backwards through the festival (which was one of the best I've
                                  been to in years):

                                  Tracy's mainstage set, closing the festival, was transcendent. Almost
                                  certainly the best performance I've seen of the (too many to admit to)
                                  concerts of hers I've seen in the past two years. There were moments of
                                  tension just beforehand, as we waited to see if the sound people would be
                                  able to fix the generator that seems to have broken 3/4 of the way through
                                  Ellis Paul's last song in the previous set, so Tracy started later than
                                  planned. Being the last act, certainly an honor, has its pluses and
                                  minuses -- a smaller crowd than at other points on the down side, but on
                                  the up side everyone who was there was there to see her, and not because
                                  they were biding their time until other acts they wanted to see, which
                                  means that everyone was completely transfixed. Her musical intersection
                                  with Jim is as good as it has ever been, and they just nailed every song.
                                  She spoke much less than in workshops or in other concerts, which made
                                  sense given the limited time she had, and what she did say was exactly
                                  right. Did an excellent mix of recorded and unreleased songs. (I'm
                                  trying to remember which unreleased ones she sang, but the whole weekend
                                  is running together so I'm almost certainly not remembering things right
                                  -- definitely Preston Miller -- the first time I've heard it with no
                                  preparing us for the language, which is fine because Dave's songs stand on
                                  their own even if you don't understand all the words --, Mother I Climbed,
                                  Hey Ho, probably Shadows of Evangeline . . .) A new musical opening to The
                                  Mountain -- including (I think) Jim on electric guitar, and a slow
                                  haunting "I see the mountain" vocal before starting the song. She sang
                                  Verdant Mile with no advanced self-deprecation (which is good, because it
                                  doesn't warrant any). Another amazing version (also dedicated to Dave) of
                                  Farewell to St. Dolores. Her version of that keeps getting slower and
                                  slower, but I think it works. I'm loving the version they do of
                                  Tanglewood Tree. The final song was Gentle Arms of Eden, sung with many
                                  guest artists from the festival. The whole thing was just fantastic.

                                  I'll let someone else write about the song circle from Saturday night,
                                  except to say a) that it was great, then at at other times during the
                                  weekend, to meet so many listers, and b) Tracy came and played both
                                  Preston Miller and Mother I Climbed, and offered serious encouragement to
                                  "the legacy team" for keeping Dave's songs alive. (and c) that I'm
                                  thrilled it was moved to an earlier time!) It was also fun to see which
                                  songs people chose to bring. I hope someone else will post more about
                                  that event.

                                  Tracy was on three workshops: a blues workshop on Saturday (she seemed to
                                  share my confusion about how she'd ended up on that one, though at this
                                  coming weekend's festival -- Great Waters, in NH -- there she is on
                                  another blues workshop . . . ), a fiddling workshop, and one called
                                  something like "our roots are showing." I'm fuzzy on which things were
                                  played in which workshops, but she did Preston Miller a couple times (I
                                  almost know all the words now!), Crocodile Man (perhaps when a blues
                                  singer covers a song it then makes you into a blues act?), the new
                                  fiddle-y medley from Verdant Mile, I Go Like the Raven (dedicated at the
                                  fiddle workshop to Greta who had played it to everyone's amazement at the
                                  song circle the previous night), Hard to Make It and some other stuff.
                                  She also played violin alongside various folks during the workshops she
                                  was on -- and on Saturday evening played violin beautifully on several
                                  songs in Richard Shindell's set.

                                  I love Falcon Ridge. It's such a well done festival and has a wonderful
                                  sense of community. I spent a lot of time during the weekend with D&T-ers
                                  I know from this list and concerts -- a pretty impressive testament to
                                  Dave and Tracy's music that it can bring us together. And hearing people
                                  refer to "Dave Carter Way" -- the new permanent street name for the main
                                  road through the festival area -- was beyond cool.

                                  Looking forward to hearing reports from others (and the discussion of
                                  Mother I Climbed that Elizabeth initiated),

                                  Beth
                                • Elizabeth R. DeSombre
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 27, 2004
                                    Oh -- one more Falcon Ridge momemt I shouldn't omit: at the blues
                                    workshop when Tracy was commenting that she wasn't entirely sure why she
                                    was booked on a blues workshop given that she has never been a blues
                                    singer, Greg Brown commented that he would start calling her "Big Momma
                                    Tracy" and then she could be a blues singer.

                                    Since she's on another blues workshop at this weekend's festival (anyone
                                    else going?), perhaps we should start using her new blues name . . .

                                    Still hoping for falcon ridge posts from others who were there,

                                    Beth
                                  • bronxbrody
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 28, 2004
                                      My husband, girls, niece and various boyfriends were up there this
                                      weekend! Tracy looked great and sounded so wonderful. She looks so
                                      different without glasses. I was glad to see her playing her violin
                                      alot, it was beautiful, especially the violin workshop. My husband
                                      and I were at the song circle, it was really nice to hear Tracy
                                      talking about it on stage. My husband Chris sang and played "Grand
                                      Prairie Texas" and we did "Kate" together. We had been working
                                      on "September Sea" but just couldn't get it down so I was glad to
                                      hear such a beautiful rendition at the song circle. Everyone was so
                                      great. I especially liked the version of "236-6132".
                                      I really like the "Verdant Mile" too. All the songs but especially
                                      that one. I like her reference to Richard Shindell's nod to Dave
                                      in "So Says the Whiporwill", which I didn't totally get until he
                                      sang it at his main stage, with Tracy on violin! What a treat! So,
                                      despite the rain and blazing sun, it was a great weekend. Someone
                                      at the song circle mentioned a cd from last year? Any chance of
                                      getting ahold of that?
                                      Hoping to see Tracy again soon!
                                      Janet
                                    • D. Keith Howington
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 28, 2004
                                        bronxbrody wrote:

                                        > My husband, girls, niece and various boyfriends were up there this
                                        > weekend!

                                        It sounds as though you have a *very* interesting social life. And a
                                        rather open minded husband. ];-)

                                        > Tracy looked great and sounded so wonderful. She looks so different
                                        > without glasses. I was glad to see her playing her violin alot, it
                                        > was beautiful, especially the violin workshop. My husband and I were
                                        > at the song circle, it was really nice to hear Tracy talking about it
                                        > on stage. My husband Chris sang and played "Grand Prairie Texas" and
                                        > we did "Kate" together.

                                        That would have been very pleasant to hear. I hope to be able to attend
                                        this next year.

                                        > We had been working on "September Sea" but just couldn't get it down
                                        > so I was glad to hear such a beautiful rendition at the song circle.
                                        > Everyone was so great. I especially liked the version of "236-6132".

                                        I confess that this ranks near the top of my D&T song favorites list.

                                        > I really like the "Verdant Mile" too. All the songs but especially
                                        > that one. I like her reference to Richard Shindell's nod to Dave in
                                        > "So Says the Whiporwill", which I didn't totally get until he sang it
                                        > at his main stage, with Tracy on violin! What a treat! So, despite
                                        > the rain and blazing sun, it was a great weekend. Someone at the song
                                        > circle mentioned a cd from last year? Any chance of getting ahold of
                                        > that?
                                        > Hoping to see Tracy again soon!

                                        Oh, yes -- a CD would be great indeed! Sign me up!

                                        ===|================/ D. Keith Howington, CEO (CEO@...)
                                      • cfheery
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 20, 2007
                                          Hey all,

                                          My name is Chuck, a long-time lurker, first time poster and a major
                                          fan of Dave & Tracy. With Falcon Ridge less than a week away I have
                                          found myself in a bit of a
                                          pickle.

                                          I bought my Falcon Ridge tickets months ago but through some
                                          unforeseen circumstances I'm now left with an extra 4-day w/ camping
                                          ticket and no way of getting to the Festival.

                                          Wracking my brain for a solution, I've hit upon the following:

                                          Is there anyone on the list in the New York City area who would be
                                          willing to give me a ride to Hillsdale in exchange for a free ticket?

                                          If not, how about anyone along Metro-North's Hudson or Harlem lines?

                                          I'm planning to leave on Friday but could be ready to go after 5 on
                                          Thursday.

                                          I realize that introducing myself as one who lurks may not be
                                          conducive to obtaining a ride, but I assure you, my lurky ways only
                                          apply to webboards. If anyone wants to take me up on this offer;
                                          take me up, in fact, to the festival, you can email me at
                                          cfheery@....

                                          Thanks so much and I hope to see some of you there.

                                          -Chuck
                                        • KenY7744
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 17, 2008
                                            Sorry for not responding earlier, but Donna and I have been wrestling with
                                            our decision on whether to go to FRFF this year (or again, ever). It looks
                                            like our camping days are behind us. It's just too much of a challenge
                                            physically to do the camping bit. Donna has lobbied for a bed and breakfast
                                            option for next year, so that might work, but it's too late to do that this
                                            year.

                                            Our hearts and souls are with all Happytowners and fans of Dave Carter's
                                            music. We wholeheartedly agree that his music should be heard by as many as
                                            possible, and we continue to play Dave's music whenever we are in a musical
                                            situation. Have a great Dave Carter circle this year, whether it's Saturday
                                            night or Sunday morning.

                                            We are sorry we won't be part of the festivities this year. We'll miss you
                                            all.

                                            Ken & Donna
                                            Glenside, PA

                                            From: Rongrittz@...
                                            1b. Re: King of Hearts
                                            From: kato2274
                                            1c. Re: King of Hearts
                                            From: Jessica Byers
                                            1d. Re: King of Hearts
                                            From: kato2274

                                            2a. Falcon Ridge song circle?
                                            From: Beth DeSombre
                                            2b. Re: Falcon Ridge song circle?
                                            From: Robin Oprysko
                                            2c. Re: Falcon Ridge song circle?
                                            From: Beth DeSombre
                                            2d. Re: Falcon Ridge song circle?
                                            From: John Hamilton

                                            3. KBOO Dave Carter show
                                            From: tdub55@...

                                            Messages
                                            1a. Re: King of Hearts
                                            Posted by: "Rongrittz@..." Rongrittz@... rongrittz
                                            Date: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:46 pm ((PDT))

                                            >> You can listen to it as well. It's REALLY good. <<

                                            And anyone who doesn't get a little weepy at the beauty and sweetness
                                            of "Home on the Range" has a heart of stone.

                                            RG

                                            Messages in this topic (6)
                                            1b. Re: King of Hearts
                                            Posted by: "kato2274" kato22@... kato2274
                                            Date: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:06 am ((PDT))

                                            --- In TracyGrammer@yahoogroups.com, Rongrittz@... wrote:

                                            > >> You can listen to it as well. It's REALLY good. <<
                                            >
                                            > And anyone who doesn't get a little weepy at the beauty and sweetness
                                            > of "Home on the Range" has a heart of stone.
                                            >
                                            > RG

                                            I thought that was one of the coolest / cutest things I've ever heard.
                                            that was Jackson on fiddle right?

                                            Messages in this topic (6)
                                            1c. Re: King of Hearts
                                            Posted by: "Jessica Byers" jess@... jess913.geo
                                            Date: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:18 am ((PDT))

                                            Yeah, that was Jackson on the fiddle and Ruby on vocals..... :)
                                            You really have to hear it.

                                            Jess

                                            On Jul 17, 2008, at 10:06 AM, kato2274 wrote:

                                            > > And anyone who doesn't get a little weepy at the beauty and
                                            > sweetness
                                            > > of "Home on the Range" has a heart of stone.
                                            > >
                                            > > RG
                                            >
                                            > I thought that was one of the coolest / cutest things I've ever heard.
                                            > that was Jackson on fiddle right?
                                            >

                                            > __.

                                            Messages in this topic (6)
                                            1d. Re: King of Hearts
                                            Posted by: "kato2274" kato22@... kato2274
                                            Date: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:01 am ((PDT))

                                            I knew that was ruby singing so lovely, and I was 99.9% sure that was
                                            jackson on fiddle. Such a wonderful idea and what a great keepsake
                                            for the Henry family. it's definitely highly reccomended.

                                            The whole EP is excellent IMO. "Up to Me" doesn't do a whole lot for
                                            me but I love every other track so much it certainly makes up for one
                                            track I don't really dig.

                                            --- In TracyGrammer@yahoogroups.com, Jessica Byers <jess@...> wrote:

                                            > Yeah, that was Jackson on the fiddle and Ruby on
                                            vocals..... :)
                                            > You really have to hear it.
                                            >
                                            > Jess

                                            > > > And anyone who doesn't get a little weepy at the beauty and
                                            > > sweetness
                                            > > > of "Home on the Range" has a heart of stone.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > RG
                                            > >
                                            > > I thought that was one of the coolest / cutest things I've ever
                                            heard.
                                            > > that was Jackson on fiddle right?
                                            > >

                                            > > __.

                                            Messages in this topic (6)
                                            2a. Falcon Ridge song circle?
                                            Posted by: "Beth DeSombre" edesombr@... edesombr
                                            Date: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:15 am ((PDT))

                                            Crickets are chirping on this topic over at the D&T list, so I thought I'd
                                            check in over here.

                                            Is there a plan for a Falcon Ridge Dave Carter song circle? Are people
                                            camping at Happytown?

                                            Elizabeth D. (not be be confused with Beth D.!) made an interesting
                                            suggestion: a Sunday morning song circle (heck, we could even do it in
                                            the main stage seating area, which might attract some folks who wouldn't
                                            otherwise know about it) -- before the Gospel Wakeup Call. That way we
                                            wouldn't have to compete with the mainstage Saturday night (and especially
                                            with EFO who are playing later than usual.) Say 8:30 or 9 a.m.? I think
                                            that's a great idea.

                                            But I'd also be up for Saturday night -- I just want to know if there are
                                            currently any plans by anyone. If so, please let the rest of us know!
                                            And, if not, what do the rest of you who will be at FRFF think about the
                                            Saturday night versus Sunday morning question?

                                            There must be people (in addition to Tracy, of course) singing Dave songs
                                            at Falcon Ridge. Worst case, I'll just stand in a field alone and sing
                                            'em . . .

                                            Beth

                                            Beth DeSombre
                                            www.bethdesombre.com

                                            Messages in this topic (4)
                                            2b. Re: Falcon Ridge song circle?
                                            Posted by: "Robin Oprysko" robin77@... robinoprysko
                                            Date: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:44 am ((PDT))

                                            Hi Beth and all, I apologize for not posting anything earlier but I've been
                                            very ill and in and out of the hospital for the last few weeks. Lew and I
                                            usually set up Happy Town but things are very much up in the air right now.
                                            I am hoping that we will be able to make it to FRFF but it's iffy at this
                                            point. I think the best thing would be for others to organize something and
                                            hopefully we will be there to participate. I know our daughter Chelsea and
                                            her boyfriend are going to be there and she's looking forward to it.

                                            I think an alternate time for the circle is a great idea and Sunday morning
                                            sounds perfect. It's always a hassle competing with the sound from Main
                                            Stage and more people might be able to make the circle. What's important is
                                            that Dave's music and memory are carried on at the Fest so hopefully Beth
                                            and others can make that happen. Blessings, Robin and Lew

                                            Ps If we do set up Camp Happytown we will post it here as soon as we know
                                            and will also leave info on the bulletin boards on the Midway. We have been
                                            in upper camping the last few years and will probably try for that again, if
                                            we go.

                                            To: TracyGrammer@yahoogroups.comFrom: edesombr@...: Thu, 17
                                            Jul 2008 08:15:45 -0400Subject: [TracyGrammer] Falcon Ridge song circle?

                                            Date: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:50 am ((PDT))

                                            TracyGrammer@yahoogroups.com writes:
                                            > think an alternate time for the circle is a great idea and Sunday
                                            >morning sounds perfect. It's always a hassle competing with the sound
                                            >from Main Stage and more people might be able to make the circle. What's
                                            >important is that Dave's music and memory are carried on at the Fest so
                                            >hopefully Beth and others can make that happen. Blessings, Robin and Lew

                                            Robin -- so sorry to hear that you've been ill. I hope things are getting
                                            better, and I hope you will be able to make it to FRFF.

                                            Everyone else who will be at FRFF: Is there support for a Sunday morning
                                            song circle? 8:30 (or should we say 9? I'm tempted to start earlyish
                                            since Gospel wake-up is at 11 and we'll actually start to get competition
                                            from workshop stage at 10.00)?

                                            What do you all think of doing it in the mainstage seating area? We can
                                            try to get a critical mass of tarps/blankets next to each other Sunday
                                            morning to make enough room for a circle.

                                            And I can put flyers up on the bulletin board to let people know
                                            when/where it's happening.

                                            (Again, though, I'm perfectly happy with a different plan if there's group
                                            sentiment in favor of something else. I just really want to make sure
                                            there's a song circle.)

                                            Beth

                                            Messages in this topic (4)
                                            2d. Re: Falcon Ridge song circle?
                                            Posted by: "John Hamilton" birdman5662004@... birdman5662004
                                            Date: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:04 pm ((PDT))

                                            Beth,
                                            I'm perfectly willing to help with the set up whether it's Saturday night or
                                            Sunday morning doesn't matter to me - I guess if I had to pick, my choice
                                            would be Saturday night, maybe around 10- But I'm certainly open to later
                                            Saturday or early Sunday morning. I can bring extra tarps etc. let me know.
                                            John Hamilton

                                            Messages in this topic (4)
                                            3. KBOO Dave Carter show
                                            Posted by: "tdub55@..." tdub55@... twoodburn2001
                                            Date: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:31 am ((PDT))

                                            Hey all... sorry for the short notice, but wanted to alert you to a program
                                            running today that will be "All D&T All the Time".......

                                            Listen online at: http://kboo.fm/listen
                                            The Dharma Wheel
                                            Hosted by: Robyn Shanti
                                            Dave Carter Memorial Tribute
                                            My annual tribute to the spirit of one of my favorite singer/songwriters
                                            ever--Dave Carter, through his songs and special remembrances.
                                            12:00pm - 1:30pm Pacific (3p-430p Eastern)

                                            Robyn has kindly asked me to sit in with her on the program, so I will be
                                            yabbing along and hopefully spinning a few rare live cuts of past D&T songs.

                                            Messages in this topic (1)

                                          • Beth DeSombre
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jul 17, 2008
                                              OK, folks. Hearing no dissent, and some general approval, I hereby
                                              declare that this year's FRFF song circle will take place Sunday morning,
                                              9 a.m. SHARP (some of us will be there a bit earlier, so feel free to show
                                              up earlier) in or near the mainstage seating area. (If there's a lot of
                                              sun we might be under the nearest tree.) We'll try to be visible. If
                                              anyone has any large recognizable banners, please bring 'em.

                                              I'll post a message on the bulletin board at the festival. Anyone who
                                              wants to find me (a bunch of you know me, but if not, I'm the small person
                                              with glasses, short hair, and two long braided tails sitting as close to
                                              the stage as possible, and on Saturday you can probably find me at the
                                              workshop stage) to coordinate claiming space Sunday morning at the seating
                                              rush, that'd be great. (Oh, and there are actually photos of me at
                                              www.bethdesombre.com if you want an easier way to recognize me.)

                                              Please bring instruments, friends, coffee . . . people who just want to
                                              listen are certainly more than welcomed! Drag along a sleepy friend who
                                              doesn't know Dave's music as well as she or he should.

                                              See you all in a week or so!

                                              Beth