Out of the mouth of babes

  • Elizabeth R. DeSombre
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
      I was at a family wedding this past weekend. On Friday I played guitar
      when members of my extended family were around. The next day I was off
      playing on my own when my 6-year-old niece came over and said "I really
      liked one of the songs you played yesterday. Can you play it again?" I
      couldn't remember what songs I had played the day before and so asked her
      some questions to try to determine what it might be. I couldn't figure it
      out, and then she said "wait, I think I remember . . . it was the song
      that had the Joshua Tree in it."

      She was referring to Red. Let's hear it for good taste among the younger
      set! She even sang along on bits when I played it again.

      Beth
    • Mollie Hart
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
        Beth wrote:

        "I couldn't figure it out, and then she said "wait, I think I remember . . .
        it was the song
        that had the Joshua Tree in it."

        Funny, at the left coast DC Song circle last weekend, one of the members
        (sorry, don't remember your name) told of doing "Red" as a rock & roll song
        in a crowded bar. Told us that people stopped mid-drink and turned to the
        stage to listen...

        Dave has always had that effect. My experience when doing any of his songs
        was that people stopped talking, drinking, eating, whatever and turned and
        watched and listened to every word. Some of them would come up to you after
        and ask who wrote that song.....

        The Power of Dave.

        Mollie in PDX
      • Chris Huey
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
          That would be Curt Ericson, bass player in our band, Rose in the
          Heather. He was relating the story about how he and his brother borrowed
          some band's instruments in Pocatello, Idaho, and did Red.

          One of Curt's other bands also does a rock version of Cat Eyed Willie.

          Chris

        • Rakenjake@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
            Interestingly enough `my 6 year old is currently demanding that `I play Ruby
            every time we enter the car. `he knows it by heart and keeps asking `"Who's
            that `Bob `Dole guy"! I don't want to scare him though~!!
            Rachel