Tracy in Florida (Waitin' for the Day - Townes Van Zandt)

  • OzWoman321@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hello, All -

      I wanted to report in regarding last night's show at The Main Street Cafe in
      Homestead, Florida - many of you know the venue is my home away from home,
      featuring great sound, delicious food and the warm hospitality of owner (and
      friend) Laurie Oudin. This was Tracy's third appearance there, once with Dave and
      two with Jim Henry - as Tracy reminds, she was born in Homestead on the Air
      Force Base.

      It was wonderful meeting up with Beth (from Boston) and her husband Sam -
      they'll also be at the St. Augustine show tonight (as will Jim Henry's parents,
      he informed us). Kate Chagoll was very much missed as she had to attend to
      some last-minute hurricane-related issues - one doesn't dare attempt to
      reschedule a contractor appointment in Florida now, as you never know when you might
      see them again!

      Between-song chatter and introductory stories were limited but the musical
      and intuitive connection between Tracy and Jim feels strong - an electric guitar
      for Jim has been added to the mix on occasion and a few of the songs have
      been revamped. Jim is a wizard on mandolin and dobro and Tracy's fiddle playing
      shines - she did talk about The Wounded Healer and The Lovely Vermont, and
      dedicated two of the tunes to those who contributed to the fund.

      A cute exchange occurred (before Jim played the song about his dad) when he
      spoke of being involved with a father-son group as a child (the Indian Scouts?)
      and Tracy confessed she belonged to the Indian Princesses - they divulged
      their Native-American names as Brave Condor and Shooting Star, respectively...
      :-)

      The two-set songlist follows, and the first and last four are correct - the
      rest are in no particular order:

      236-6132
      Tanglewood Tree
      Farewell To Fiddler's Rim
      I Go Like The Raven
      Preston Miller
      Shadows of Evangeline
      Mother I Climbed
      This Dirty Little Town
      Wasn't Born to Follow
      When I Reach The Place I'm Goin'
      Old Paint
      Waitin' for the Day - Townes Van Zandt
      Jackson's Tune/Trickster Tale/St. Anne's Reel
      Jim Henry: Ruby
      Jim Henry: Pals Forever, Dad
      Gentle Arms of Eden
      The Verdant Mile

      Encore:
      Ordinary Town
      Farewell to St. Delores

      I probably left out a few songs and stories and hope Beth adds her color
      commentary - we're blessed that Tracy graces our state, and our lives, on a
      regular basis with her gentle spirit and joyful noise... <3

      Susan
      http://www.heartsdesireconcerts.com
      http://www.horseofadifferentcolorbooking.com

      "I was all out of choices, but the woman of voices
      She turned round the corner with music around her,
      She gave me the language that keeps me alive..."
      ~ Dar Williams

    • Pam Calegari
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
        OzWoman321@... wrote: Kate Chagoll was very much missed as she had to attend to some last-minute hurricane-related issues - one doesn't dare attempt to reschedule a contractor appointment in Florida now, as you never know when you might see them again!

        Bummer considering how long Tracy has been scheduled -- can't imagine not being able to work around a tiny period of time . . .NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL DEDICATED CONTRACTORS -- WORKING NIGHTS . . . hmmmmmm Hope your home is not too damaged, kate

        Pam (who lives in Portland but will be driving to Eugene tonight to see Mr. Shindell with my buddies!!!!)

      • Jessica Byers
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
          Speaking of which, Richard is playing in Portland tomorrow night,
          Saturday. I hope everyone in the area is getting their tickets. I
          hear there are still a bunch left. And I think Jesse Harris (writer
          of some of Norah Jones' songs...) should be a really interesting
          opener. I will be there... Here are the details.

          -Jess

          Richard Shindell in Concert
          w/ Jesse Harris
          Saturday, Oct. 2nd 2004 @ 8 pm.
          Community Music Center
          3350 SE Francis, Portland, OR.

          Tickets: $18 in Advance (Subject to Service Charge)/$20 Day of Show.
          Call (503) 224-TIXX. Subject to Service Charge. All Ages.
          Smoke Free.

          ARTIST INFO:
          www.richardshindell.com /www. jesseharrismusic.com
          For more information please call Michael Kearsey at (503) 235-3071.
          For ticket information please call (503) 224-8499

          >Pam (who lives in Portland but will be driving to Eugene tonight to
          >see Mr. Shindell with my buddies!!!!)

        • --k
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2004
            Well, we did think it might be necessary to drag Pami
            off to the menstrual hut or gag and bind her to a
            chair. Luckily, your Mr. Shindell, RG, saved us the
            trouble. He was very, *very* charming onstage, and
            even *more* so after the show. I was so enchanted, in
            fact, I completely forgot to ask if "what looks grey
            is really red" is suppose to be blood. Love the
            ambiguity. I mean, it could be anything....even a
            clown nose, fr'instance, since it's Halloween...with
            one of those big droopy frowns, too. Mmmm, maybe
            not... might cover up that cute little dimple.

            Ok, granted, this time out he's got a soup kitchen to
            build and a few (maybe hundreds, maybe thousands?)
            more mouths to feed, and one catches more bees with
            honey, etc. As it went, tho, if he'd been any *more*
            charming, I'd have left Paradiso a pauper.

            Did he do "America" in Sandy Eggo? That one made me
            cry! And the little aside about Summer Wind, Cotton
            Dress...i always did wonder how his wife might feel
            about that one. Say you had to choose: complete
            fidelity or complete honesty? Personally, I think
            *some* things are better left unsaid. But not in this
            case, or we wouldn't have this song!

            Richard said "Vuelta" means "wheel" ... you know,
            going around ...coming around ... like that.

            We got Whipporwill for the encore. It was perfect.
            That's all i can say.

            Perfect.

            --k

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • --k
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2004
              Oh, forgot to mention. Jessie Harris was really nice.
              Reminded me a bit of the guy that did the song "On
              and On"... but different...a little Paul Simon mixed
              in there...kinda jazzy. No clinkers or yawners.
              Thoroughly enjoyable. The bass player was way cool,
              too.

              --k

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Elizabeth R. DeSombre
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2004
                Thanks to Susan for the Homestead report. Here's the scoop from the
                following night (St. Augustine):

                The club, Cafe 11, is a great restaurant, but much less of music-listening
                venus. (Main Street Cafe in Homestead is really about the music -- it was
                a fantastic place to hear music.) This is the second time I've seen Tracy
                at Cafe 11 (yes, I live in the Boston area; it's a long story), and the
                downsides of the venue were consistent (and there was one moment when, as
                my spouse put it, we learned what Tracy's "I'm thinking of killing the
                sound guy" look is.). Also, the traffic from the Miami area to St.
                Augustine was inexplicably horrendous -- we arrived exactly two minutes
                before Tracy and Jim, driving the same route, and shared both frustration
                and puzzlement with them at the length of the travel time . . .

                This was the "family of the band" show -- probably fully half the audience
                was related to Tracy (a variety of very rowdy cousin-type people mostly in
                their 20s) or Jim (he had a an uncle and parents there). The whole first
                row was taken up with the rowdy relatives who quite entertainingly leapt
                to their feet to cheer uproarously at various (and somtimes random)
                intervals. Some of them seemed to be actual Tracy fans, and other in it
                for the experience.

                In terms of songs, I didn't keep anything resembling a set-list, but here
                are a few observations:

                -Unrecorded ones they did in St. Augustine were Shadows of Evangeline and
                Hey Ho (with a brief comment about the appropriateness of the latter song,
                following the presidential debate the previous night). Talked about
                expecting the new album in March.

                -Jim did two family songs -- the "Pals forever Dad" song that he's
                introduced the night before in Homestead (complete with the Indian Guides
                and Indian Princesses names) and another one, "We think we'll keep him,"
                written in time for his son's second birthday. (and, actually, he did one
                about the night his daughter was born at the Homestead show). Here's the
                really cool thing.: most of these he's sprung on Tracy, saying "here's a
                song Tracy's never played before" -- and she just jumped right in and
                played beautiful violin accompaniment (and vocal harmony as well) on them
                -- she's really gotten good at doing improv violin with everyone else's
                stuff -- I noted that this summer at festivals, and it's even more
                impressive now. It's clear she loves the new violin.

                -Tracy told the most extended version of the story of the lovely Vermont
                at the St. Augustine show that I've heard.

                -Between the two shows I think they played every song from the Verdant
                Mile CD. It's nice to get to hear them live!

                -Gentle Arms of Eden at both shows too -- with Tracy singing lead (which
                is a change from how she was doing it this summer). In general, they're
                doing lots of new and interesting arrangements, which is very cool. I
                remain mostly unconvinced by some of the use of the Fender stratocaster,
                but mostly that's because I'm an old fogey (a young one). I don't dislike
                it; I just do think it adds much.

                Both shows were great -- Tracy looks like she's have a lot of fun
                (especially at the Homestead show), and she observed that she and Jim now
                have a large enough repetoire together that they could play two nights
                without repeating any songs.

                That's it for now -- I'm still on the road.

                Beth

              • Donna Conaway
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2004
                  -Gentle Arms of Eden at both shows too -- with Tracy singing lead (which
                  is a change from how she was doing it this summer). ---

                  It's interesting that you mention this....

                  The last show I saw at The Point in PA had Tracy singing her usual
                  harmony on the chorus. The audience picked up HER voice over Jim's and
                  everyone singing along on the chorus was singing the harmony rather than
                  the melody. People were singing rather loudly and it was quite
                  noticeable that they were singing along with Tracy.

                  I noted it because Tracy had kind of a surprised look on her face when
                  she heard it and then looked a little distressed. I was wondering at the
                  time if she was concerned people were learning the song "wrong" and
                  thinking her harmony part was actually the melody when that's not the way
                  Dave wrote it. Or, it may simply be that she thinks the voices balance
                  better with her doing the melody.

                  Either way, I'm sure it still sounds wonderful!
                • ptpowerlists@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2004
                    Kim wrote:

                    >>Oh, forgot to mention. Jessie Harris was really nice. Reminded me a bit of the guy that did the song "On and On"... but different...a little Paul Simon mixed in there...kinda jazzy.<<

                    Jessie Harris was once part of a duo called Once Blue (with Rebecca Martin) -- if you get a chance to pick up their lone CD, do so... it's terrific. Harris, you might also know, was (is?) part of Norah Jones' band.

                    Pat

                    Get your name as your email address.
                  • Bruce Hayden
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 5, 2004
                      I spoke this weekend with Mikhail Graham who books Coopers Saloon in Nevada City, Ca. informed me he had confirmed Tracy for Sunday, November 7th. Coopers is more of a pub atmosphere than a bar and non-smoking as are all public places in California. Coopers has featured many outstanding artist over the past couple of years including hosting some KVMR Nite Live's. This is not on Tracy's schedule. Those who are in the greater Sacramento/Auburn area and need there Tracy "fix" here is the your opportunity. Cindy and I should make this.

                      Bruce Hayden
                      I don't know any man who is successful that didn't start out being a dreamer