Hello?

  • Bonny Holder
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
      Did I shut the group down??
    • Pam Calegari
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
        >>> Bonnie wrote: Did I shut the group down?? <<<

        Yeah ~ I mean I'm not taking it personally that nobody (except Bonny) replied to my request for lister's top 10 (or 1, or 3, or 6) CD's for 2003 ~ but I must admit that I have found many new favorites based on other's comments through the last few years.

        On Shindell's list everyone is telling what CD's they got for their Holiday ~ there's another option . . .

        May we all know love in 2004
        Pam

      • Rongrittz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
          >> Did I shut the group down?? <<

          Apparently. ;-) Nah, I guess everyone's still sobering up from New Year's
          Eve.

          I'd been hesitating jumping in on the 2003 Music Review, because of the old
          "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all" school of thought,
          then I figured, hey, I gotta be me. So here goes.

          For me and music (recorded music, anyway), 2003 was a terribly disappointing
          year. I can't even come up with a Top Five, much less a Top Ten. Dar
          Williams continued moving away from the Dar I used to love, with my least favorite of
          all her CDs, "The Beauty of the Rain." Kris Delmhorst's "Songs for a
          Hurricane" couldn't hold a candle to her brilliant "Five Stories." And as much as I
          generally love Mark Erelli, his foray into western swing with "Hillbilly
          Pilgrim" has so far just left me cold . . . I'm just not into that style. Lori
          McKenna's "The Kitchen Tapes" was a bit too "unfinished" for my taste, and
          Gillian Welch's "Soul Journey" was simply unlistenable.

          And these are people who I usually love.

          The good news, if there is any, is that Patty Griffin's "A Kiss in Time" was
          as close to a perfect live album as I can think of. So there. My Top One of
          2003. And live music was great. Nine Tracy shows. Five Richard Shindell
          shows. Five Mark Erelli. Three Darryl Purpose.

          And I just saw my first Deb Talan show last night (ok, that's 2004, so sue
          me) and was wildly entertained (thanks, in part, to Jess Byers' recommendation
          and Jim Henry's presence), so that bodes well. Plus the excellent CD that I
          bought, "Happiness," was technically a 2003 release. So maybe I have a Top Two.

          But the best news is that 2004 will bring us Tracy's "Shadows of Evangeline"
          and Richard Shindell's "So Says the Whippoorwill," two CDs that we already
          know will be brilliant. Lori's back in the studio with a full band. And
          hopefully there'll be new material from Patty, Darryl and Cheryl Wheeler.

          Happy New Year . . .

          RG
        • cste5458@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
            the Goodman live dvd was a great xmas pres me and dave had a couple of in
            depth talks about goodmans influence on singer songwriters