Re: [Dave-and-Tracy] Strawberry music & Tracy

  • Janet Lenore
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi all on List -

      Tracy appeared on the main stage at the Strawberry Music Festival near Yosemite, CA this past weekend (yesterday, actually) with a new sideman replacing Donny Wright, a fellow named Zach Borden. She said it was their first public performance together. I had seen Donny and Tracy play together at Santa Cruz last January and that pairing did seem to have a bit more "chemistry" than with Zach. But hey, the first time out together has got to be tough on such a high profile stage (not to mention the shoes to fill generally). They played the last day of the festival during the 5pm hour to a crowd that grew with each song. Those around me up close to the stage were among the most "faithful" - those who knew the words, etc.

      Tracy seemed her usual composed self as she greeted fans after the show. She took a few minutes to talk with me and my friend Amy, who was delighted after having just seen her first Tracy performance. Its so nice that Tracy has always remembered me although I only get to see her a few times yearly.

      Someone else can post a full set list - I don't have it - but I was intensely struck by a new-to-me unrecorded Dave song that painted a dialog between the a hooker and a prospective john. Her encore, "Pancho and Lefty," was sent out to Cindy Hayden. Greg, Paul, Bruce & Cindy, and other CA listers - missed seeing you but I'm sure you were there....

      Tracy set the record straight about the Joan Baez recording of "Mountain." Joan and her manager just weren't happy with the way the song turned out and they chose not to include it on this CD -end of story for now.

      Tracy - I wish you good luck and safe passage with your travels until I see you again in a few months in San Jose and Berkeley! I'll bring friends with me and so will my friends!

      - Janet Lenore

    • Bruce Hayden
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2003
        At 06:18 PM 9/1/2003 -0700, you wrote:
        >Someone else can post a full set list - I don't have it

        All set list at Strawberry are posted within a few weeks on the Strawberry Music Festival Web site.

        I just printed out the e-mail for Cindy and her sister, Cathy. This is Cathy's first festival of any kind. It was a treat in many ways for her. She saw Natalie Mac Masters and Allison Krauss from less than 10 feet away from where she sat and was introduced to Tracy shortly after Tracy's set. If she could afford it she would make every Strawberry from here on out. It was a special weekend for her, particularly when Tracy mentioned the e-mail request for the song "Poncho and Lefty"

        Cindy requested she do this song for the November 1st Concert we are doing with Tracy but hoped she may fit it in the Strawberry set. Much to my surprise, as I knew nothing about it. I noticed Roz & Howard Larman sitting next to Cindy and Cathy nodding very much in approval of this selection. I may be prejudice, but I think my wife has excellent taste and it shows in her radio show.

        Cindy grabbed me to introduce me to Greg Pool and his partner, sorry Gregg I am absolutely the worst with names and as you probably saw I was on the run as well. There are perks working as staff at Strawberry but when something is in need of attention you go. I also saw Paul Chui at the festival as well. Paul had a one day ticket for the festival. There very few one day tickets sold for this festival. Janet, if you missed Cindy and I at Strawberry don't feel it is unusual. At time our friends do not see us very much at the festival. We are very busy at this festival. Even though my hours our down from 16 hours days I am still on call at all times. Cindy has become my brain at the festival as at times I can become very fried. She accompanies me almost on all my runs and duties, keeping me straight.

        Well, to bed, Cindy and I just got in from Strawberry. She and her sister helped serve the breakdown crew today. I broke down the camp shorty after my crew had completed their assigned duties. This just as Cindy and Cathy had to help with the preparations. We are both very exhausted. Cindy will take her sister, Cathy, to the Sacramento airport tomorrow. They are still up stairs talking about old and new times.

        Bruce Hayden
        I don't know any man who is successful that didn't start out being a dreamer

      • Greg Pool
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2003
          --- In Dave-and-Tracy@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hayden wrote:
          > Cindy grabbed me to introduce me to Greg Pool and his
          partner...[Juliet]

          It was great to meet Bruce and Cindy up there, and now I know it
          was very special. We actually looked over at their RV every
          chance we had to see if they were there. Thanks to folks like
          them, Strawberry is a fantastic festival to visit! Look for that set
          list at

          http://strawberrymusic.com

          Thanks, Janet, for the Saturday main stage review, and sorry we
          missed you, too!

          One more special tidbit from Friday night at Strawberry. At 11:15
          p.m., Tracy opened for Chris Smither, Peter Case and Dave Alvin
          at Amy's Orchid Cafe, the night before her main stage
          performance. It was Zach's first performance with Tracy, and of
          the two his main stage performance was better, but he really
          made a difference. It seemed that Tracy played a lot more guitar
          parts since Zach plays mandolin and guitar. Is that right?

          Although she saved the "new stuff" for the next night (was it "Hard
          to Make It"?), she did do "Crocodile Man" and thanked all the
          performers, and Chris in particular, who are now covering Dave's
          songs, many of whom she listed the next night. She even hinted
          that Chris' might be the better version!

          Chris Smither and crew came out for their set, which was a very
          entertaining and funny song circle that went on until 2 a.m. (Peter
          Case was amazing!). For the encore, each performer played one
          song, and Chris talked about and then played "Crocodile Man."
          Tracy was standing just off stage left, and you could tell there
          was a great deal of admiration between the two. Chris scored
          high on the legacy meter.

          Tracy did so well for essentially beginning a tour with a new
          accompanist; I measure that from the reaction to "Winter When
          He Goes" on both nights. Suprisingly, she had just come off the
          road that evening and had car trouble; she got rear-ended and
          the perp split. Fortunately, she was saved by a couple close
          friends who were helping with merchandise for the festival.

          And the buttons! At the shows and for a donation to the Dave
          Carter Memorial Fund you can get those "Remembering Dave
          Carter" buttons designed by Tracy herself. The only thing better
          would have been to wear an "Ask me about Dave Carter" t-shirt
          all festival long.

          There's an idea...

          Greg
          Monterey CA