Re: The Mountain

  • RG
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 16, 2001
      >> Why do you say "under-rated?" . . . I've never heard anyone
      dismiss this song. <<

      It's just subtle, that's all . . . not the first song I think of when
      I think of D/T. I'm more likely to think of "Happytown" or "Hey
      Conductor" or "Little Liza Jane" on the uptempo side, or "Kate"
      or "Elvis Presley" or "Lancelot" on the other side.

      Come to think of it, as I list those songs, I guess it's that I'm not
      used to Tracy being the "lead voice" of the group . . . which is why
      the new CD, on which they've indicated that Tracy will take more of a
      lead role, will be such a treat. That Girl Can Sing, as witnessed
      by "The Mountain" or anyone who's heard her cut and slash her way
      through "The Raven."

      RG
    • Terry Woodburn
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 16, 2001
        > "da-ri kur-niserin-na, pirin zalog, pirin zalog
        > da-ri kur-niserin-na, dili-du-a, dili-du"

        Sumerian Lyrics...

        Endless Mountain of Cedar Trees, forest of light, forest of light
        Endless Mountain of Cedar Trees, I walk alone, I walk alone

        No, I am not a scholar.... I lifted them off of D&T's fine Tanglewood
        Tree songbook, only 16.95 at your fine.....you can order it and should
        order it on the website! Dave did all the work on it, sheet music and
        tab. It's a nice deal for we frustrated guitar pickers...

        Terry
      • kate chagoll
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 16, 2001
          Taking a lunch break now & have to jump in & add that
          when I think of D/T, "When I Go" and ".....Eden"
          spring to mind because it generally seems that Dave is
          in a reflective, somber mood during many of the
          performances (at least the small Portland ones) and
          Tracy is the one that elevates the mood. When they're
          both in a somber mood, it makes for a totally
          different listening experience.... Kate
          --- RG <Rongrittz@...> wrote:
          > >> Why do you say "under-rated?" . . . I've never
          > heard anyone
          > dismiss this song. <<
          >
          > It's just subtle, that's all . . . not the first
          > song I think of when
          > I think of D/T. I'm more likely to think of
          > "Happytown" or "Hey
          > Conductor" or "Little Liza Jane" on the uptempo
          > side, or "Kate"
          > or "Elvis Presley" or "Lancelot" on the other side.
          >

          > Come to think of it, as I list those songs, I guess
          > it's that I'm not
          > used to Tracy being the "lead voice" of the group .
          > . . which is why
          > the new CD, on which they've indicated that Tracy
          > will take more of a
          > lead role, will be such a treat. That Girl Can
          > Sing, as witnessed
          > by "The Mountain" or anyone who's heard her cut and
          > slash her way
          > through "The Raven."
          >
          > RG

          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Terry Woodburn
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 16, 2001
            RG wrote:

            > >> It's a nice deal for we frustrated guitar pickers... <<
            >
            > BTW, for some of the songs from "When I Go," I've done transcriptions
            > which can be found at:

            Yeah, been meaning to thank you for doing that page! I used every
            search engine around to find as much D&T stuff, interviews as I could.

            TW
          • RG
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 16, 2001
              >> It's a nice deal for we frustrated guitar pickers... <<

              BTW, for some of the songs from "When I Go," I've done transcriptions
              which can be found at:

              http://members.aol.com/rongrittz/page/chords.htm

              You can also find stuff from Richard Shindell, Lucy Kaplansky, Dar
              Williams, Lynn Miles, Mark Erelli and others.

              RG, shameless self-promoter.
            • Clary, John (CLRY)
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 16, 2001
                >> Sumerian Lyrics...No, I am not a scholar.... I lifted them off of D&T's
                fine Tanglewood Tree songbook, only 16.95 at your fine.....you can order it
                and should order it on the website! Dave did all the work on it, sheet
                music and tab. It's a nice deal for we frustrated guitar pickers... <<

                Cool, Thanks Terry! I got the lyrics and the translation off the liner
                notes but didn't see the language. I guess am not a frustrated guitar
                player since The Mountain is already in my performance repertoire, but
                apparently there are tidbits in the songbook that would still make it worth
                buying! =)

                John
              • Linda Silas
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 11, 2002
                  So how about a new song discussion? I'd like to see what y'all think
                  about "The Mountain."

                  Dave described it many times as a song about grace, and final
                  acceptance of grace as a gift, rather than something you earn. It was
                  the first of his songs I heard that clearly dealt with the exploration
                  of religion.

                  Among others, "Happy Town" seems to expound an almost flippant
                  tolerance and acceptance of any and all beliefs, even the "circus
                  clowns". On the other end of the scale, "Mother I Climbed" explores
                  beliefs and rejects them all, ending with "I found nothing to believe."

                  "The Mountain" explores and tries and finds a kind of enlightenment,
                  ending in a comfortable state of acceptance of what is, with no more
                  need for effort or exploration or explanation - or organized religion,
                  for that matter.

                  I don't know the chronological order of the writing of these songs, but
                  I'm fairly sure the most recent was "Mother I Climbed" and I'm not sure
                  whether to let that bother me or not. I mean, is that where he was when
                  he left this world?

                  Personally, I have felt (and continue to feel) all of these ways about
                  belief systems at various times of my life, but the one that leaves me
                  the most happy and inspired and alive is "The Mountain."

                  - Linda
                • Fran Rosenberg
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 11, 2002
                    I don't think Mother, I climbed is a rejection of all belief. Just all
                    institutionalized belief. More an assertion of the more universal human
                    aspects than the theologies, I think.

                    I read The Mountain as having a similar philosophy. A rejection of doctrine
                    and typical belief systems in favor of something more organic and human.
                    Dave seems to be saying he is a part of the greater story of earth and human
                    kind rather than being apart from both with a belief system that only really
                    accounts for humans and neither the earth nor other living creatures.

                    I see a consistency between the two songs, not a divergence.

                    Fran
                  • ursula sturms-papp
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 11, 2002
                      I really felt that "The Mountain" had a Dharma path ring to it. I'm a very new practitioner so I'm interested in what others say. In the Dharma vein I believe that all three songs can be coming from the same place....just stating it in different ways.?

                      ---
                      peace to you.
                      ursula

                      On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:28:38
                      Linda Silas wrote:
                      >So how about a new song discussion? I'd like to see what y'all think
                      >about "The Mountain."
                      >
                      >Dave described it many times as a song about grace, and final
                      >acceptance of grace as a gift, rather than something you earn. It was
                      >the first of his songs I heard that clearly dealt with the exploration
                      >of religion.
                      >
                      >Among others, "Happy Town" seems to expound an almost flippant
                      >tolerance and acceptance of any and all beliefs, even the "circus
                      >clowns". On the other end of the scale, "Mother I Climbed" explores
                      >beliefs and rejects them all, ending with "I found nothing to believe."
                      >
                      >"The Mountain" explores and tries and finds a kind of enlightenment,
                      >ending in a comfortable state of acceptance of what is, with no more
                      >need for effort or exploration or explanation - or organized religion,
                      >for that matter.
                      >
                      >I don't know the chronological order of the writing of these songs, but
                      >I'm fairly sure the most recent was "Mother I Climbed" and I'm not sure
                      >whether to let that bother me or not. I mean, is that where he was when
                      >he left this world?
                      >
                      >Personally, I have felt (and continue to feel) all of these ways about
                      >belief systems at various times of my life, but the one that leaves me
                      >the most happy and inspired and alive is "The Mountain."
                      >
                      >- Linda

                      Outgrown your current e-mail service? Get 25MB Storage, POP3 Access,
                      Advanced Spam protection with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
                    • RG
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 11, 2002
                        >> I really felt that "The Mountain" had a Dharma path ring to it.
                        I'm a very new practitioner so I'm interested in what others say. In
                        the Dharma vein I believe that all three songs can be coming from the
                        same place....just stating it in different ways.? <<

                        Maybe it's partially due to the fact that I'm a musician, but it
                        seems strange to me that these discussions about Dave's music never
                        seem to touch on the MUSIC. I mean, yeah, great lyrics (although as
                        a non-believer, many of the more spiritual references are lost on
                        me), but let's not lose sight of how the stuff SOUNDS. (Ooh,
                        sight/sound . . . RG brings the funny.)

                        Me, I rilly rilly like the guitar figure in this song and the way
                        Tracy always says "yeah" after "Over the mountain" in the third
                        chorus. And of course, the counter-song. I'm a sucker for counter-
                        songs.

                        RG, one foot in ice, one in fire.
                      • Steve Dulson
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 12, 2002
                          I remember Dave once introducing this song as a coming-to-
                          terms with his failure to achieve some of his earthly goals.
                          I always interpreted the latter as his experience(s) with
                          the Nashville establishment, where the labels DO care if
                          you're old or you're young.
                          Steve Dulson Costa Mesa CA steve@...
                          "The Tinker's Own" http://www.tinkersown.com
                          "The Living Tradition Concert Series" http://www.thelivingtradition.org/
                        • ursula sturms-papp
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 4 9:35 AM
                            Hi Linda,
                            Thanks to you for the great memory of Dave's explanation of the Mountain.I'd add that it also follows the Buddhist philosophy to just be still...the gift is there! But then..the mystics of all persuasions are describing the same things.
                            We will be seeing Tracy and Jim at WPI on Tuesday in Worcester, Ma.

                            ---
                            peace to you.
                            ursula

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            To visit your group on the web, go to:

                          • cernowain9
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 18, 2009
                              As I said in an earlier post, I wanted to work out a Tab to the guitar
                              intro part in Dave's "The Mountain", as I didn't feel like the
                              Tanglewood Tree songbook had it quite right.

                              So, I've uploaded an MS Word document to the Files section in the Yahoo
                              Group homepage for the list called "TheMountainTab.doc". Check it out,
                              Tab readers, and see what you think.

                              bb,

                              Cern