Re: [Dave-and-Tracy] Roaring Brook Show

  • J. Katherine Rossner
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2001
      Not much to add to Robin's great report, but I did write down the set list
      in order if anybody's interested. (Robin, how did you manage to keep
      track of all the songs without writing? I couldn't have done that!) I've
      been to a few shows at Roaring Brook but never seen the place so
      packed. Unfortunately, I got there late because of car trouble, but it's a
      small enough venue that all the seats are close to the stage. Not a good
      enough view for the hand signals, though!

      "September Sea" is really beautiful, though "When I Go" is still the
      loveliest song of all. (So glad somebody requested it, as I meant to but
      didn't get the chance.) I asked Dave what else will be on the new CD,
      since they only played the three songs from it ("Raven" and "Highway 80"
      and "Gentle Arms of Eden"), and he said it's a lot of stuff that they just
      haven't had time to practice as a duo but will by the time the album comes
      out (scheduled for June 12). The three songs are great, or does that just
      go without saying? "Preston Miller" too, though I wish they'd finish it.

      If they're going to do stuff from "Snake Handling Man", I do wish they'd
      include (red), which is my favorite song on the album.

      A friend who kindly accompanied me to the show (because I needed a ride, my
      car wouldn't start) was totally blown away--so much so that he hid in his
      car rather than saying hi to Dave and Tracy after the show, because he was
      intimidated by their excellence! But he kept saying how marvellous Dave's
      songwriting was, and that he's going to get the CDs, and just what a great
      show.

      First set (did I miss something at the beginning? I think we got there
      just as they started):
      The River, Where She Sleeps
      Crocodile Man
      Gentle Arms of Eden
      Farewell to St. Dolores
      Hey Conductor
      Tanglewood Tree
      Highway 80, She's a Mighty Good Road
      The Mountain
      Texas Underground

      Second set:
      Walking Away from Caroline
      Cat-Eye Willie Claims His Lover
      I Go Like the Raven
      When I Go
      Happytown
      Preston Miller
      Annie's Lover
      Liza Jane
      Kate and the Ghost of Lost Love

      First encore:
      Farewell to Bitterroot Valley
      Cowboy Singer

      Second encore (yup, we wouldn't let them go):
      September Sea

      Katherine
      --
      Ye knowe ek, that in forme of speche is chaunge
      Withinne a thousand yere, and wordes tho
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2001
        Hi Robin, et.al,
        For those of us off in the wilds of Worcester,(Ma), where is Roaring Brook located? Next time D&T are there we will arrange a road trip if at all possible. Your description of the venue definitely caught my imagination and it sounds like you saw a superb show, not that D&T ever give less than 100%!
        Thanks,
        Ursula Lovenut
        --

      • Robin Oprysko
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2001
          "URSULA K STURMS-BARNETT" wrote:
          >Hi Robin, et.al,
          >For those of us off in the wilds of Worcester,(Ma), where is Roaring >Brook
          >located?

          Hi Ursula, Roaring Brook Nature Center is located in Canton CT right off of
          route 44, which the main road there. It is far up on a winding road that
          goes through the woods. It is a beautiful and very rustic, venue and perfect
          for Dave and Tracy. This was their first appearance there and I hope not
          their last, although i have this feeling that it won't be long before they
          will be playing much larger rooms.

          Roaring Brook has been running a Folk Music program for about 20 years and
          does bring some good people in. Ramblin Jack Elliot will be there next month
          on May 12. To get on their mailing list{snail mail} send the pertinent info
          to: Stan Sullivan
          P.O. Box 1573
          New Britain CT. 06050
          They have a website too but the URL it escapes me right now. When I find it
          I'll post it. Take Care, Robin
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2001
          • Robin Oprysko
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2001
              "J. Katherine Rossner" asked:
              >(did I miss something at the beginning? I think we got there just as they
              >started)

              Hi Katherine, Nope, you didn't miss anything, judging from your set list.
              River was the first song as I recall. Thanks for putting the list in proper
              order. It was pretty easy for me to remember the songs because they did
              everything from Tanglewood Tree except "Fiddlers Rim." then a few from "When
              I Go" and the new stuff that my daughter helped me to remember.

              Are you the Katherine that I met in the ladies room, that has the nighttime
              Folk show, Acoustic Playground on WWUH? If so, I want to thank you for
              playing D and T so often. I'm sure you helped to make lots of new fans and a
              number of people I spoke with last night mentioned that they heard them
              first on your show and decided to check out the concert. If you are not her
              just ignore that ;} I can so relate about your friend having to hide in the
              car because he was so overwhelmed by D and T's talent.. I am seldom shy
              around people but I felt that way too. My teen daughter however had no
              problem talking with them and requesting "When I Go." I love that song but
              Sweet Kate was the highlight of the night for me, oh those harmonies! Take
              Care, Robin
            • J. Katherine Rossner
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2001
                At 10:47 AM 4/1/01 -0500, Ursula wrote:
                > Hi Robin, et.al,
                >For those of us off in the wilds of Worcester,(Ma), where is Roaring Brook
                >located? Next time D&T are there we will arrange a road trip if at all
                >possible. Your description of the venue definitely caught my imagination
                >and it sounds like you saw a superb show, not that D&T ever give less than
                >100%!

                Hi, Ursula--

                Roaring Brook is in Canton, CT: about half an hour west of Hartford on
                Route 44, so maybe an hour and a half's drive from Worcester. They have
                other good concerts besides D&T, if you don't mind the drive--I'll go up to
                two hours each way for a good show, myself, so Providence and Framingham
                and suchlike are all within range. (And, while I fell for Dave and Tracy's
                music the first time I heard "When I Go", the first time I saw them perform
                was in Worcester, at the Green Rooster in November of 1999.)

                Katherine
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
                  At 06:09 PM 4/1/01 +0000, Robin wrote:

                  >Hi Katherine, Nope, you didn't miss anything, judging from your set list.

                  Thanks, I'm glad to know that.

                  >Are you the Katherine that I met in the ladies room, that has the nighttime
                  >Folk show, Acoustic Playground on WWUH? If so, I want to thank you for
                  >playing D and T so often. I'm sure you helped to make lots of new fans and a
                  >number of people I spoke with last night mentioned that they heard them
                  >first on your show and decided to check out the concert. If you are not her
                  >just ignore that ;}

                  Sort of. ;) I'm the Katherine you met in the ladies' room, and I have the
                  nighttime show Folk Crossing. Denise, who was also at Roaring Brook that
                  night (and may have made some introductory remarks before the show
                  started? don't know, but I thought that was what Stan Sullivan said when
                  he mentioned her during the intro to the second set), does the
                  early-morning show Acoustic Playground, which is probably what those fans
                  you spoke with had been listening to.

                  We're both on WWUH, and we both play D&T (you're welcome, but it's really
                  my great pleasure to play them); I may play them more often, but she
                  certainly has more listeners! And it's possible that I introduced her to
                  the music, last fall when she was helping me get started at the station,
                  but I _think_ she already knew it.

                  Good to meet you!

                  (If anybody else wants to listen, btw, WWUH is at 91.3 in West Hartford,
                  and on the Web at www.wwuh.org. My show is from 3-6 a.m.
                  Tuesday. Acoustic Playground is from 6-9 a.m. Monday. In the 6-9 time
                  slot, there's also Celtic Airs on Tuesday (mostly traditional and
                  trad-sounding Irish/Scottish), Folk-a-Rama (mostly singer/songwriter) on
                  Wednesday, a Cajun/Zydeco-emphasis show whose title I don't remember on
                  Thursday, and Mixed Grill (more singer/songwriter) on Friday. Bluegrass is
                  on Saturday from 9 to noon. I think Sunday has a folk show in the 6-9 a.m.
                  slot as well, but have never listened to it.)

                  Katherine