Suijinsama, the God of Water

  • Gabi Greve
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2004
      .

      Suijinsama
      The God of the Waters,
      He seems to like Japan this year especially.

      I have updated my musings about the gods of the elements quite a lot.

      Here is just a small part of it

      This link claims, 水神様とは下水菌のこと,
      Suijinsama is another name
      for the bacteria in the waste-water. The more you find in the water
      for cleaning the soil, the better is our environment.
      http://www.bigai.ne.jp/~miwa/powder/gif/suijin.gif
      http://www.bigai.ne.jp/~miwa/powder/suijin.html
      http://www.bigai.ne.jp/~miwa/powder/e_soil.html

      Here another episode from my own experience comes to mind.

      When we remodeled our old farmhouse, we had to do something about
      grandfather’s toilet. It was just a small pond in the ground,
      with
      two beams over it where you had to balance real hard while performing
      your job. Below you was the open sewer.

      The local carpenter decided to drain the sewage water, fill the hole
      up with earth and level it with the rest of the ground. But before
      doing anything to this smelling place, we were informed, we had to
      pacify the Suijinsama living in this pond.

      With plenty of ricewine (for the god and the humans) and purifying
      salt and a lot of mumbling prayers, the God was informed that his
      palace was to go and he would be relocated in a wet rice field
      further down. After the water was drained, a pipe was stuck in the
      hole before it was filled up, so that the Suijinsama who might have
      been left in the place would find their way out. This pipe is still
      sticking out to this day.

      Read it all here:
      http://www.geocities.com/gabigreve2000/godsofelements.html

      Enjoy some Gods of the Elements and hopefully no wet feet from
      Typhoon 22.

      Gabi san
    • GokuRakuAn Daruma Museum
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2011
        The new page of Suijin sama is here
        http://darumapilgrim.blogspot.com/2005/02/suijin-god-of-water.html

        Gabi

        and more about Kappa from Mark Schumacher
        http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/kappa.shtml

        .