Re: Hyakunin Isshu, another link

  • Gabi Greve
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2004
      Quite an extensive study on the subject
      http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/japanese/hyakunin/index.html

      tiny
      http://tinyurl.com/44gj9

      with many sub-links to explore.

      Quote:
      Ogura Hyakunin Isshu, also called Hyakunin Isshu, is an anthology of
      100 poems by 100 different poets. The poems are all "waka" (now
      called "tanka"). Waka are five-line poems of 31 syllables, arranged
      as 5, 7, 5, 7, 7. The waka represented in Hyakunin Isshu were court
      poetry, which almost exclusively used the waka format from the
      earliest days of Japanese poetry until the seventeen-syllable haiku
      came into prominence in the seventeenth century.

      Hyakunin Isshu is said to have been compiled by the famous thirteenth-
      century critic and poet Fujiwara no Sadaie (also known as Teika),
      though his son Fujiwara no Tameie may have had a hand in revising the
      collection. Teika also compiled a waka anthology called Hyakunin
      Shuka (Superior Poems of Our Time), which shares many of the same
      poems as Hyakunin Isshu.

      The 100 poems of Hyakunin Isshu are in rough chronological order from
      the seventh through the thirteenth centuries. The most famous poets
      through the late Heian period in Japan are represented.

      Hyakunin Isshu has had immense influence in Japan. In Donald Keene's
      phrase, the poems have "constituted the basic knowledge of Japanese
      poetry for most people from the early Tokugawa period until very
      recent times....This meant, in a real sense, that Teika was the
      arbiter of the poetic tastes of most Japanese even as late as the
      twentieth century." (Seeds in the Heart, p. 674; see Sources for full
      citation.) The influence of Hyakunin Isshu was particularly extended
      through the card game based on the collection, called uta karuta,
      played especially at New Year's.

      Among foreign critics and translators there have been differing
      opinions about the value of Hyakunin Isshu. Arthur Waley thought that
      the collection "is so selected as to display the least pleasing
      features of Japanese poetry. Artificialities of every kind abound."
      (Japanese Poetry, The 'Uta' [Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1919], p. 7.)
      Kenneth Rexroth is more temperate: "[It] is a very uneven collection.
      It contains some of the most mannered poetry of classical Japan, but
      it also contains some of the best." (One Hundred Poems, p. xviii.)
      Donald Keene offers this summary: "It can hardly be pretended that
      all the poems deserve the immortality Teika bestowed on them, but
      many are fine poems, and his choices do no harm to his reputation as
      a critic." (Seeds, p. 674.)

      from the intro
      http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/japanese/hyakunin/intro.html

      Take your time.

      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx