Fanning World: Five days of 'The Runaways'! A fake tattoo foreshadowed Dakota Fanning's starring role as Cherie Currie // 1 February 2010

  • Stephanie
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2010

      Five days of 'The Runaways'! A fake tattoo foreshadowed Dakota Fanning's starring role as Cherie Currie

      Dakota MoviesSometimes it's the little signs that point toward big roles -- like Dakota Fanning playing singer Cherie Currie in "The Runaways."

      And in this case, that little sign was a little bit of body art.

      Currie, chatting at the Sundance Film Festival, told me about when she and Fanning met over lunch to discuss re-creating her persona on the big screen. Fanning revealed to Currie that her journey to their table had started with a classmate who was holding some temporary tattoos.

      Dakota's friend had brought the arty stickies to school, Currie said. "She picked a single cherry and put it on her arm."

      When Fanning got home that day, her mother was holding the script for "The Runaways."

      As Currie tells it, Joy Fanning said, "Dakota you’re not going to believe this. I’m holding this script and you would play a girl who has a cherry tattoo."

      After that, Fanning hit it off with director Floria Sigismondi, and a new Cherie was born.

      For Currie, a mom and recovering addict, there was nobody but Fanning for the part.

      "She’s a prodigy, she’s incredibly unique," she said. "I think she deserves an Academy Award, I'm going to say that right now."

      Source: Ministry of Gossip - LA Times