Don't Indulge. Be Happy. - NYTimes.com

  • Nadia Taran
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8, 2012
      I came across this article today and I thought it was very fitting for our group.  It starts off slowly, but keep reading.  It has good information.
      Nadia

      http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/opinion/sunday/dont-indulge-be-happy.html?pagewanted=all
    • Nguyen, Ly
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2012

        Very true! Thanks a lot for the share Nadia!

        On Jul 8, 2012 2:51 PM, "Nadia Taran" <nadiataran@...> wrote:

        I came across this article today and I thought it was very fitting for our group.  It starts off slowly, but keep reading.  It has good information.
        Nadia

        http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/opinion/sunday/dont-indulge-be-happy.html?pagewanted=all
      • Hai Nguyen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2012
          Thanks Nadia for sharing the NewYork Times's article.  It is a great reading and just wonderful to see that Science have the data that are confirming the thousands years old teaching (:-))
          If you have tried practicing the mindful living technique on intentionally being mindful a dozen of time throughout the day for many days, please share your experiences and thoughts.  I think this simple practice can produce many surprising benefits.  I am looking forward to read your sharing.
          Hai
          P.S. - I have been in South East Asia for the past few days.  The temperature is actually much cooler than the high 90 F back home (:-))

          I came across this article today and I thought it was very fitting for our group.  It starts off slowly, but keep reading.  It has good information.

        • Moore, Ann
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 10, 2012

            Hi Nadia,

                 Thanks for sharing! This article reminds me this quote: "The earth can only provide one's need not one's greed;  please go somewhere else to shop".

            Ann

            //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11, 2012

              Dear Sitting Group:

              I love the concept of being mindful a dozen times a day, but in practice I found it much harder.  I had the best intentions.  I was going to stop hourly and focus on my breath.  When I remembered, it was hard to stay focused.  There was too much going on.  A few breaths and my mind jumped to something else.   Whereas, when I start my day with meditation, I go through simple rituals that keep my surroundings quiet and allow me to be still.   What's been your experience?  Any suggestions?
              Nadia

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 12, 2012
                Hello Nadia,
                I am glad that you were able to tried out this mindful living practice.  As you have discovered, a minute can be a long time when you are mindful (:-))  When we are able to be mindful, each moments in the day can be quite fullfilling and magical in its own way.  Mindfulness can spice up each moment of our life (:-))
                his practice or any other mindful living practice is really not meant to be the only practice.  Life is too dynamic and complex, so we need a range of practices that we can use together to keep us mindful of our outer environment and inner mind states.
                I hope that others will also share the experiences, so we can learn together.
                Hai
                P.S. - It is okay that we have "the monkey mind", as long as we are aware of the monkey mind  (:-))