Welcome to "Let Practice like the Sunflower" on-line group

  • Hai Nguyen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2012

    Good morning,

    Today is the first day of Summer. I would like to welcome everyone to the on-line group "Let Practice like the Sunflower". For the next three months, we will use this email forum to communicate, share wonderful teaching on mindful living and support each other's on the path of well-being. Presently, we have the following friends in the group.
    1. Ly Nguyen
    2. Renu Sharma
    3. Ann Moore
    4. Nadia Taran
    5. Terry Nguyen
    6. Christopher Redford

    7. Diane Havinga
    8. Ellen Thompson
    9. Min
    10. Hiromi Isobe
    11. Ray Stephens
    12. Montrese hamilton

    In the mindful living tradition, there is a wonderful teaching on happiness.  It is said that happiness is already available in the here and now.  We don’t have to search for happiness.  It is actually us that are not present, not available to be in touch with the happiness of life.  What do you think about this teaching?  Does it make sense?  How does one practically practice this teaching in today busy and stressful life?  Please share your thoughts with the group.

    For this on-line discussion group to be beneficial, we would like to request everyone's active participation.  In the next days, please send email to the on-line group (DailySittingMeditation@yahoogroups.com) to introduce yourself, let others know your interest, your thoughts on the first topic and to confirm that the on-line group setup is working.
    I am looking forward to read everyone sharing

    Hai
    P.S. - Attached is a beautiful inspiring quote and photo that can be used as computer wallpaper/background.  A wonderful reminder for busy people like us (:-))

  • ellenthompson
    Message 2 of 3 , Jun 21, 2012
      I think this teaching makes a lot of sense. People are often so busy juggling and multi-tasking that they don't take the time to see or appreciate what is in front of them. In my case, my work has been pretty crazy lately. It wasn't something that just happened over night, but crept up over time. The busier things got, the more I started to cut out things I was doing for myself like exercise, meditation, or just "me" time without even realizing the impact it was having. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the stresses of everyday life and lose focus. I think to practically practice this teaching you have to be on the look out for those things that take you away from being present and have to keep working on ways to incorporate awareness into your daily activities. Of course that can be pretty tough sometimes which means you have to keep at it and not give up. I'm excited to participate in this group. I think the communication with others on these topics will be helpful to my practice and good reminder to keep me on track.

      --- In DailySittingMeditation@yahoogroups.com, "Hai Nguyen" <hai_nguyen@...> wrote:

      > Good morning,
      >
      > Today is the first day of Summer. I would like to welcome everyone to the
      > on-line group "Let Practice like the Sunflower". For the next three months,
      > we will use this email forum to communicate, share wonderful teaching on
      > mindful living and support each other's on the path of well-being.
      > Presently, we have the following friends in the group.
      > 1. Ly Nguyen
      > 2. Renu Sharma
      > 3. Ann Moore
      > 4. Nadia Taran
      > 5. Terry Nguyen
      > 6. Christopher Redford
      >
      > 7. Diane Havinga
      > 8. Ellen Thompson
      > 9. Min
      > 10. Hiromi Isobe
      > 11. Ray Stephens
      > 12. Montrese hamilton
      >

      > In the mindful living tradition, there is a wonderful teaching on happiness.
      > It is said that happiness is already available in the here and now. We
      > don't have to search for happiness. It is actually us that are not present,
      > not available to be in touch with the happiness of life. What do you think
      > about this teaching? Does it make sense? How does one practically practice
      > this teaching in today busy and stressful life? Please share your thoughts
      > with the group.
      >
      > For this on-line discussion group to be beneficial, we would like to request
      > everyone's active participation. In the next days, please send email to the
      > on-line group (DailySittingMeditation@yahoogroups.com) to introduce
      > yourself, let others know your interest, your thoughts on the first topic
      > and to confirm that the on-line group setup is working.
      > I am looking forward to read everyone sharing
      >
      > Hai
      > P.S. - Attached is a beautiful inspiring quote and photo that can be used as
      > computer wallpaper/background. A wonderful reminder for busy people like us
      > (:-))

    • Moore, Ann
      Message 3 of 3 , Jun 22, 2012

        Good afternoon,

                    "In the mindful living tradition, there is a wonderful teaching on happiness.  It is said that happiness is already available in the here and now.

                                We don't have to search for happiness. It is actually us that are not present,  not available to be in touch with the happiness of life".

                    I agree with this teaching!

                    It does make sense!

                    In today busy and stressful life, I have been learning to calm down and try not to say anything (yet) when things bother (upset) me. Give time to            myself and go for a walk inside my office building (or outside if weather permitted). Two days ago, I had to go for a walk!

                    While walking I tried to think of some pleasant events, like eating a good bowl of "Pho" etc.  Walking on cool and beautiful hallways I felt happy!

                     I even felt happier because I did not have to work outdoor while the heat index reached 105F.

        Ann