DANIELLE WILFONG HAS JOINED THE GROUP

  • Hai Nguyen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2009

      Good morning friends,

      I am happy to let everyone know that Danielle Wilfong has joined us to practice sitting meditation every day for at least 15 minutes.  She lives in Frederick, Maryland.  For years, she regularly attended many of the English workshops in Reston and retreat at Sinh Thuc Meditation Center in West Virginia.  We currently have the following friends in the group.
      1.   John Beier in Arlington
      2.   Tom MacEwen in Richmond
      3.   Judy James in Arlington
      4.   Bruce Gill in Woodbridge

      5.   Kim Moore in Alexandria
      6.   Ray Stephens in Virginia Beach
      7.
      Pete Jacoby in Charlotte, NC
      8.   Danielle Wilfong in Frederick, MD

      Please join me to welcome Danielle to the group.

      This morning, I would also like to raise the following questions to the group.  Sitting meditation is a practice to train both the mind & the body.  For the mind, we practice mindful breathing to be present and aware of the mind state.  For the body, we normally sit in a posture.  How many formal sitting postures are there?  What are the purposes/benefits of these sitting postures?  Which one do you practice and why?

      Please do not hesitate to share your thoughts even if you don’t have all of the answers or all you have are more questions.  Let’s share and learn together.

      Thanks,

      Hai

    • Fr. Seraphim
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2009

        Way to go, Danielle—I hoped you would join (love Dad)!

        Good morning group friends—I have to admit a rather poor showing over the past week.  From what seemed to be a simple earache evolved into full blown pneumonia.  I have had a difficult time being properly mindful resulting in erratic sitting.  I have focused more on coughing and feeling ill than on being able to get successfully beyond that.

        Sitting positions:

        I don’t find sitting in a chair helpful.  I still prefer to sit cross-legged on the floor—not full nor half-lotus—just crossed with back straight.  I use a knotted prayer-rope (similar to Mala beads) to help focus.  I sit on a back-jack with a zafu to rest my ankles and with cushions under each knee to keep them elevated which seems to take the pressure off of my ankles.  I can sit quite awhile comfortably.  Getting up is a task.

        For my sitting, the above described posture seems to help me with the general flow of “relaxed energy” throughout my body.  If I get uncomfortable, or cramp, or leg/foot “goes to sleep” I just change the cross so the other foot dominates over the other.  There have been times when I seem to be especially mindful but have to stretch my legs straight out in front for a few minutes.  I then go back to the crossed posture.

        I’m planning on being at the February Mindfulness workshop and hope to see some of you there.

        Metta and Peace,

        Ray