Dedicate a Day to Practice Right Speech ...

  • Hai Nguyen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16, 2010
      Dear friends,

      Yesterday evening, we had a wonderful monthly sitting group gathering and Pot-luck dinner.  We had a good turnout.  We enjoyed meditating together as a group.  Afterward, a few people commented that "the sitting seems short when we meditate together" and "I really enjoyed the sitting."  Then for about 40 minutes, we listened and discussed on the topic of Right Speech, a practice of the Noble Eightfold Path.  Right speech is also sometimes translated as Wise speech or Skillful speech or Loving speech.  Our speech has enormous power.  Skillful speech can heal while unskillful speech can bring much suffering to us and others.  We ended the monthly gathering with a delicious Pot-luck vegetarian dinner

      During the talk, I shared with the group a story of a meditator practicing right speech.  For a period of a month, he promised to himself not to gossip. And for him it meant not to speak about a person who wasn't there, even if it was a favorable thing, just not to talk behind someone's back. At the end of the one month, he discovered this amazing thing, that 90% of his speech was eliminated. He discovered that we often spend a lot of time talking about third people, most of which in his mind were useless.

      To deepen the understanding on Right speech, I suggested to the group to dedicate a day to practice Right speech similar to the story above.  I hope that everyone on the email forum would consider this challenge and dedicate a day for this practice. Have fun practicing and please share with us your experience

      Have a mindful day,
      Hai
    • Fr. Seraphim
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16, 2010

        I’ll give it a try J

        Ray

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 16, 2010
          I was aware today of times when I did talk about a third person who wasn't in the room.  Some were necessary (work-related).  A few were not work-related & I was aware that I could have stopped myself.  Tomorrow is another day........

          Jean
        • Mirte Wildt
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 17, 2010
            I think that the GEOs of BP showed us how important skillful speach
            is!
            I have't start my day but will soon,I will keep in touch,Mirte

          • Bruce Gill
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 17, 2010
              Hi All,

              I will practice this today. However, I am not sure it is possible to do in my work setting, since my work is about people.  I am usually discussing, working with and planning for other people and so referring to third persons is integral to my normal working activity. Does that count as gossip?

              Bruce

              --
              Bruce D. Gill
              RedCraneandTurtle